Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Science courses

Options
  • 30-10-2011 12:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

Hi all,

My best subjects at school are biology and geography and am interested in both, but mainly geography. I see in NUI Galway you can do undenominated science which may be a good option for me. But they have an Earth and Ocean science degree. And it says on the prospectus it is made up of geology, hydrogeology, geophysics and oceanography.......BUT on the prospectus it says in 1st year you do science subjects like biology, chemistry and physics?? which is turning me off this degree..as I only like biology...but is that only if you do undenominated science??

Also I see there is other similar degrees - Environmental science and Marine Science. Is this Earth AND Ocean science a combination of both? What's the difference between all them? Environmental science is mostly biology and chemistry? What is marine science...just biology of sea creatures??? The Earth and ocean science one seems most appealing to me.

My best subject at school has always been geography so am not sure whether to do geography in the Arts course or do this course which sounds like geography. But is it? And they say Arts courses are only good for teaching unless you do a postgrad in something afterward. Would this degree give me more career opportunities?

As you can see I am asking "What is" questions. I think career guidance is really poor in school as my career guidance person in school doesn't know anything about these subjects (geology, hydrogeology, geophysics and oceanography) and neither do I so it's hard to decide if I'd like this course since I don't know what the subjects are about, and the little detail on the prospectus doesn't help much, are those 4 subjects listed above anything like geography?

I'm currently on a year out and am doing a plc course but I get off for the halloween! So I have time next week. Does NUIG have a regular week next week or is it a study week? Would it be possible to go up and attend lectures as a visiting student? Will I just phone NUIG?

Anyone done or doing this degree. What's your opinion on it?

You can reply here or PM me the information. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭Fooker

Look up the timetables and you can pretty much just sit in on the lectures and no-one will notice...

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

Thanks Fooker! But where can I get the timetables? I'm searching on NUIG's website and can't find them.

Do you attend NUIG? If your doing science or Arts (for Geography) can you PM me what's on your timetable.

Those are the only ones I'd be interested in. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mockshelp

It's ok. I found it after half an hour searching. You have to click into the subject school (not the courses which I was doing) and then click into "current students" and then click first year student information!

• Registered Users Posts: 289 ✭✭bildo

Biology is applied chemistry which is applied physics.
    At 3rd level biology you will HAVE to have a good knowledge of chemistry, these is simply no way you can attain a good understanding of most biology without the chemistry to build on.

Advertisement