Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good Shepherd Sundays Well Cork

Options
  • 29-10-2011 4:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hello there, any advice would be greatly appreciated and apologies in advance if this thread has already been posted elsewhere.

I believe my mother was placed in the Good Shepherd Convent in Cork from birth. I am aware that this convent has since closed/burnt down. Has anybody been successful in obtaining records from this convent? Were any records saved? and who would be in charge of them now? :confused:

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Maybe some of the places here might be able to point you in the right direction?
    http://councilofirishadoptionagencies.com/?page_id=21

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kathy finn

hi my mother was also in the good shepherds in cork she was their from 1956. i wrote to the good shepherds in limerick and they said that all records where destroyed, i then wrote to the dept of education and applyed for any records that they might have for my mother in relation to her stay in the good shepherds. i applyed under the freedom of information, all industrial schools came under the dept of education. u might have some luck with them...kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

I believe my mother was placed in the Good Shepherd Convent in Cork from birth. I am aware that this convent has since closed/burnt down. Has anybody been successful in obtaining records from this convent? Were any records saved? and who would be in charge of them now? :confused:[/QUOTE]

those adoption records are with the Hse, sarsfield court, glanmire,
    the old laundry site burnt a few years back, but the records were preserved x

bod
    the files from the sacred heart mother and baby home bessboro have been transfered to the hse cork but not from st finbarrs good shepherd convent sundays well that was an industrial school and the dept of education have records for every child placed their, the records the nuns had where destroyed in the fire. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Bod the Munster one!

kathy finn wrote: »
    bod
    the files from the sacred heart mother and baby home bessboro have been transfered to the hse cork but not from st finbarrs good shepherd convent sundays well that was an industrial school and the dept of education have records for every child placed their, the records the nuns had where destroyed in the fire. kathy

I know the Good shepard Nun who is still part of the tracing operation. the fire was the laundry and those books were not all distroyed they have very good records in comparison to the other orders in cork.and even with the missing day books have everyones names and dob

• Advertisement

hi bod, they probably have the records but they would not admit that to me they wrote back and said they where distroyed in the fire. i had much more luck with the dept of education. kathy

• Registered Users Posts: 3 alotunknown

Thanks Kathy, byhookorbycrook and Bod for your response. I didn't give much hope in sourcing any info from the Good Shepherd nuns myself. My mum was placed there in the early 1940's. I presumed that she would have been placed in the convent and not the industrial school as an infant. Looking at an archive from the Department of Health from this link [URL="[URL]http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/health.html"]http://www.nationalarchives.ie/research/health.html[/URL[/URL]] this seems not the case with infants sharing the same dormitories as the children! Will follow up both your leads with the Dept of education and the nuns themsleves, mod can I ask how I could get in contact with the Good Shepherd nun you mention? Kathy if you don't mind me asking, what type of records would I get from the Dept of Education besides having her name dob? Much appreciation for your posts,

hi st finbarrs good shepherd convent cork did,nt become an approved school until 1954 after that it was under the dept of education, children where placed their by the state and the nuns where paid a weekly rate to keep them, the industrial school was the convent and their was also a magdalen laundry connected to it. the information i recieved from the dept of education was info on how and why my mother was placed their, letters from her father and monies paid, also where she was sent after she left.
    their is a group on facebook called irelands forgotton children if u post on their u might find someone who remembers ur mother also on friends reunited their is a page for st finbarrs. good luck kathy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 phunnybunny

my mum had a baby at the good shepherd convent in 1966 can anyone who was there at that time please drop me a line i just want to speak to someone who knows about the place my brother who she had back then has traced us and im just trying to piece things together before i met him as my mum had passed away i have no one else to ask as her family are very reluctant to help me thanks for reading x

hi, why don,t u try friends reunited the good shepherd convent is on their, if u want to pm me i can ask my aunts if they remember ur mother...kathy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3 phunnybunny

hi kathy i am new to this and i dont know how to pm you if you could let me know how that would be great :) xx cathy(phunnybunny)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Mary McC

Hi kathy,Ive discovered that records for the Good shepherd convent are now held in Waterford
    Contact: Sr Brid Mullins ,The good shepherd Sisters,virginia Crescent,Hennessy's road,Waterford.
    My Mother was there from 1953-1958.im looking for anybody that can remember her.

Advertisement