Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Act Of Valor

Options
  • 24-10-2011 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭

http://actofvalor.com/

No big name actors, real live active navy seals & what looks like a movie financed by the US government :)

Heard about this about a year ago. Apparantly any of the action scenes are unscripted as far as the seal team are concerned. They'd turn up on set, that morning, & were briefed as if it were a real even & then they'd film it. No do-overs.

Looks interesting.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭ReacherCreature

I like the realism aspect: it will be fun watching actually correct gun fights rather than a machine gun holding sixty thousand rounds.

Could be a little cheesy but I have to say I'll be keeping my eye on it.

Also, the scene with the guy in the water and sniper? Epic.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,187 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Can't beat an aul military propoganda movie :D

Seems like an interesting angle they're going for with the real tactics and that though. Looks very Call of Duty-esque I have to say.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,652 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Jesus its like call of duty the movie! I'm going to love it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,489 ✭✭✭iMax

Also, the scene with the guy in the water and sniper? Epic.

Stand-out scene for me.

This occurred to me, it's very video game-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Seems to be doing well in the States. Charlie Sheen hasn't stopped tweeting about and he is a Warlock! I presume it will be panned by Rotten Tomatoes and the like because "there is lack of character development". All the user reviews have been very positive. Does anyone know if it is coming out over here? I presume it will be readily available in the US as it is first and formost a recruiting tool, like American Army Online. Either way it sounds epic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭don ramo

pay attention, this is the orientation video for WW3;):D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭charlie_says

Almost certainly going to be over the top crazy patriotism, but looks very entertaining all the same.

I might even go to the cinema to see it :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Anyone seen this yet?

AMERICA! **** YEAH!!!

Ugh, I think I will pass...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,859 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Went to see it anyway. It was, good, kinda. I'm torn, it was interesting. There was a part at the start of the film, a word from the producers, who said they wanted to get the life of a seal from the seals perspective and the families perspective. It didn't really work.

Using actual Navy Seals worked for the combat parts, but you could tell they weren't actors, as the "acting" parts were terrible (aside from the bad guys, you could tell they were actors). Suppose that's the chance they took.

The story was believeable and the action scenes were well done, but with typical "AMERICA 4EVAR!!!" showmanship. The first person view parts were enjoyable. Overall though, i was left feeling meh. Typical ending. I could recommend people to wait for a dvd/dl release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Badly smacks of a government recruitment film, Top Gun would be oscar material by comparison.

They could have made the conflicts of interest between the job & family alot better, they could have shown how the bureaucracy/politics hinders their work. All their interactions outside of the combat scenes suffered badly because of bad writing & acting. The "its good to die for america" theme was rammed down the viewers throat. Great action scenes though, they were very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Acting was woeful,but they used actual military personnel so wasn't expecting anything else.Action scenes were pretty good but a lot of the film was like watching somebody playing Call Of Duty,especially the first person views along the barrel of the guns.Not a bad thing as I like C O D.

Solid action flick but nothing higher than that.Would be disappointed if I'd forked out a tenner for a cinema ticket to see it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

It was never going to be an oscar winner, the acting wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, but it was bad (Fair City level badness). Action scenes were fairly slick as was the soundtrack. Would relate it more to Battlefield than COD :D For what it was it was enjoyable but I though it could have had at least one more big battle. Also the editing was kack, it jumped all over the place inbetween locations. If you are looking for a story avoid, if you are looking for some military fun make sure you see it.

Watched this tonight and have to say that I rather enjoyed it. From everything I had read I expected a lot more emphasis on their home lives, I was actually prepared for a feature film of The Unit but thankfully they didn't waste too much time on what it's like worrying while your husband is out saving the world.

The acting by the nonprofessionals is pretty poor but nowhere near as bad as the reviews are making out. Not one of them will ever win an Oscar but compared to some very successful professional actors they come off rather well. The dialogue is suitably over the top and it does sound like something from a computer game and yes the script ticks off every cliche of cinematic war but as a film it's never less than watchable. The action scenes are intense, the realistic techniques used are all very well implemented (the catching the falling body before it hits the water sequence is very cool) and while the first person view does get over used the action is directed with a sure hand.

At the end of the day no one expected greatness from Act of Valor and while it's a by the books action film it's also the perfect Friday night viewing. Throw it on, sit back with a beer and enjoy the utter ridiculousness of it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Found the trailer tough going, will pass on the 'movie'.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

Pretty much what Darko said.
    I was a bit surprised that the showed so much of how the seals get in and out of countries esp as that might not always be with the permission of the goverments involved.
    Enjoy the action sequences !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 508 ✭✭✭craftypaddy

i was looking forward to this, but after watching it, meh not the best film, nice bit of action going on all the way through

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Extremely enjoyable.

I'm a war film nut, and moreso for realistic tactical stuff.

This was so many nerd gasm moments, utterly awesome action scenes

• Registered Users Posts: 3,496 ✭✭✭Killinator

As a fan of war movies and tactics and equipment in general, I couldn't have been much happier with it.

The acting in places was somewhat wooden, but these weren't actors for the most part, if most of us stepped in front of the camera without a lot of prior training we'd be left without an oscar nod aswell :D

My only real problem was the bloody trailer ruining a fair part of the movie,
    The trailer shows a funeral, and the longer the movie goes on the more you realise it'll be one the main soldiers who dies, so you're kind of waiting for it to happen

With that said, the scene with the light river boats was enough for me to be satisfied:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Watched this earlier and though it was pretty poor. Fifteen minutes of decent, solid action scenes wrapped around bottom of the barrel acting and dialogue sums it up pretty neatly.
    The acting in places was somewhat wooden, but these weren't actors for the most part, if most of us stepped in front of the camera without a lot of prior training we'd be left without an oscar nod aswell

Kinda defeats the point of a movie....don't get me wrong, I can tolerate bad acting in these types of films, but this one really took the biscuit, was just painfully bad. Some of the supporting actors - the bad guys, mostly - were OK, but the leads were 100% Grade A Pine with absolutely zero character development or interest. I've seen better acted commercials. It doesn't matter if they're never acted before, aren't actors, or whatever, the fact remains they seriously detract from the appeal of the movie and degrade the overall experience. The action scenes were good, but not the point that I'd forgive the z-grade quality of all other aspects of the production, or even remember the movie for any particular action sequence.

I would give it a 3.5/10, watchable to a point because of the decent action sequences.

• Advertisement
Advertisement