Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Camper DOE.

Options
  • 16-10-2011 11:26pm
    Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I would like to ask the knowledgeable folk among you.......you know who you are:D

Has the DOE for campers been introduced, and is it currently being enforced. I,ve heard so many differing views on it. So I said I,d ask the guys that would know.

And thats you lot:)

So in short, do I need one.

Thankyou

kadman

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

Legislation hasn't been signed by the minister yet. Its coming, but not in effect as of yet, although the tax offices seem to think it is in now.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Thats what I thought. I asked a local VTN centre as well. And there seemed to be no consensus between all the staff, as to whether I needed one or not.

kadman

• Registered Users Posts: 23 Pat McGet

According to the RSA website they have to be tested. Last page on this link

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/CVTFAQ%20_Final_.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭niloc1951

While some folk in the motor tax office think a cert is required (some shambles of a public service :mad:), it is not yet a legal requirement.
    Taxing online is no problem and 'the system' does know a valid certificate is not required for motor caravans.

So, do it online and save the hassle.

Pat McGet wrote: »
    According to the RSA website they have to be tested. Last page on this link

http://www.rsa.ie/Documents/Vehicle%20Testing/CVTFAQ%20_Final_.pdf

European legislation requires all vehicles with four or more wheels 
    and used on public roads to undergo regular roadworthiness testing.  The 
    RSA is facilitating testing of these vehicles through the VTN network. Motor 
    caravans with a Design Gross Vehicle Weight (DGVW) not exceeding 
    3500kg are tested at a LGV centre.  Those exceeding 3500kg DGVW are 
    tested at a HGV centre.

Yes under EU legislation they are supposed to be tested and yes the VTN will facilitate testing and be glad of your cash
    BUT IT AIN'T THE LAW YET IN THIS COUNTRY

Apologies for shouting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭the rambler

its not law in this country yet for "motorcaravan"

but a member of the force can prosecute for the driving of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place without a current test cert??

more than one way to knock a tree and all that!!

i'm probably not putting that in the "proper" term but you get the jist,

just a quick one on the subject how many of you have got a current doe?

i got mine tested in february for peace of mind

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

If you scroll down the list of threads you'll find one entitled "..... The court has spoken" posted by niloc1951 on 2/09/2011.

Have a read of it.
    This subject has come up many, many times.

I have mine tested every year. My choice.

.............a member of the force can prosecute for the driving of a mechanically propelled vehicle in a public place without a current test cert??.........................i got mine tested in february for peace of mind

Earlier this year an attempted prosecution against a MH owner for not producing a roadworthiness certificate was thrown out of court in Limerick, the Judge, after deliberation, accepted the defence argument that MH's (motor caravans) were not covered by current legislation.

I rely on a main dealer service to ensure my MH is roadworthy, not alone does it cover items tested by DoE/NCT requirements, it also includes service and inspection of components not inspected by the DoE/NCT.

i think theres a law that all mechanically propelled vehicles being used in a public place need to have a current doe,

is a "motorcaravan" a mechanically propelled vehicle???

i think theres a law that all mechanically propelled vehicles being used in a public place need to have a current doe,

Somewhere, on a previous thread, I did post the piece of legistration that states what you say, except it says that a legal test is required. It does not mention DOE or NCT.
    Now the problem is, and always has been, that no test procedures have ever been laid down for Motorcaravans. As the attempted court case has shown, without these there is no way a motorcaravan can be legally tested.
    These proposed procedures are what the RSA are waiting for the minister to sign, and are expecting them to be signed before the end of the year.

• Advertisement

is the doe or nct not the legal testing method in ireland?

is the doe or nct not the legal testing method in ireland?

Yes but procedures have to be laid down for the different types of vehicles.
    private cars, light vans, heavy goods etc.

This is where they forgot about our vehicles.

No category = no test.

This is a question for our moderator but I've lost track of who it is:confused:.

I've just received an email telling me that there is a new posting on this thread by the rambler.

Does anyone see it because it's not on my screen?.

i deleted it as i made a bubu with my "quote":eek::eek:
    ill give it a go later when i have more time on my hands

The Law governing the DoE testing requirement, specifically Statuary Instrument No 771 of 2004, lists precisely what types and categories of vehicles are to be tested, motor caravans are not included.
    End of, and I've posted enough on this subject and even convinced (via a solicitor) a Judge, so as Derek Mooney says Byeeeeee

niloc1951 wrote: »
    The Law governing the DoE testing requirement, specifically Statuary Instrument No 771 of 2004, lists precisely what types and categories of vehicles are to be tested, motor caravans are not included.
    End of, and I've posted enough on this subject and even convinced (via a solicitor) a Judge, so as Derek Mooney says Byeeeeee

so is a "motorcaravan" a mechanically propelled vehicle yes or no?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

so is a "motorcaravan" a mechanically propelled vehicle yes or no?

It is ...of course.

But it has no legal basis yet on which to be tested, nor have the test criteria been formalised/finalised.

Neither have motorbikes, btw ...they'll be next on the "needs a test" list.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

So was it you that had the case thrown out?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,069 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Mixed bag of replies there;)

Thanks guys for taking the time and trouble to post, I appreciate it. My camper is in excellent roadworthy order, but i wasn,t up to speed on the current legal test status.

kadman

I would doubt that there is a subject that hasn't been covered in one way or other, but with 2202 postings on this site it has to be much easier to ask again.
    I'm sure most of us don't mind or find it annoying.:)

(Now make that 2203)

• Advertisement

I would doubt that there is a subject that hasn't been covered in one way or other, but with 2202 postings on this site it has to be much easier to ask again.
    I'm sure most of us don't mind or find it annoying.:)

(Now make that 2203)
    it dosent annoy me either but i think it annoyed one or two:D
    byeeeeeee

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Printer

Does having an up to date valid engineers report from a SIMI garage help at all in this DoE thing?

I have a converted 1997 Mazda Bongo Camper and just got it registered, taxed and insured in Ireland in last 3 months with no questions about any DoE from anyone.

If I do take it for a DoE for peace of mind, how much does it cost?

Printer wrote: »
    Does having an up to date valid engineers report from a SIMI garage help at all in this DoE thing?

I have a converted 1997 Mazda Bongo Camper and just got it registered, taxed and insured in Ireland in last 3 months with no questions about any DoE from anyone.

If I do take it for a DoE for peace of mind, how much does it cost?

Depending on the age of a vehicle, some Ins.brokers will ask for either a SIMI report or a DOE cert.

The current cost of a DOE test is 85 euro inc. vat. You are then expected to take the test report to a motor tax office and pay another 5 euro for a proper cert. This I do not do!. I don't have to do it with my car NCT so why should I for the camper. The RSA have told me that this will change for campers eventually. If it hasn't been changed when the test becomes law I still doubt if I will do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

Sorry to go dragging this up again, but I've just tried to insure my first camper ... awww

Insurance co tell me that since March 2012 a DOE is compulsory & advice on this thread predates this.

I've tried registering online and it doesn't seem like I need a DOE to register online but to be sure to be sure

Has anyone heard an update on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭stevire

GG66 wrote: »
    Sorry to go dragging this up again, but I've just tried to insure my first camper ... awww

Insurance co tell me that since March 2012 a DOE is compulsory & advice on this thread predates this.

I've tried registering online and it doesn't seem like I need a DOE to register online but to be sure to be sure

Has anyone heard an update on this?

Insurance company is correct, DOE is compulsary for all campers since March. Letters were sent in the post, not able to tax in tax office without a DOE (you get a printed CRW after that which the Gardai may request at a checkpoint)

There's a thread stickied at the top of this forum all about the introduction and testing of the DOE:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056552528

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Thanks, stevire ...and on this note I'll close this old thread

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement