Bus Éireann 109 and 109A timetable change from 23 October 2011 - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

10-10-2011, 17:32   #1
pauraic1990

Bus Éireann 109 and 109A timetable change from 23 October 2011

Hi all,

I just found this now.

For 109 Dublin-Dunshaughlin-Navan-Kell-Cavan
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318258339-109.pdf
For 109A Dublin Airport-DCU-Ashbourne-Ratoath-Dunshaughlin-Navan-Kell
http://www.buseireann.ie/pdf/1318260717-109A.pdf

What did you think of this improvement?

For me as a regular 109A commuter to DCU. I find it better and it leave 10 min later so no more rushing getting out to catch the bus in the morning even though it alway arrive late.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
10-10-2011, 19:53   #2
piperh

Nice idea but as its 40mins from Kells to Cavan doing the speed limit so unless Bus Eireann intend to break it theres no way this timetable can be right.
Thanks from:
10-10-2011, 21:50   #3
foggy_lad

Quote:
Originally Posted by piperh View Post
Nice idea but as its 40mins from Kells to Cavan doing the speed limit so unless Bus Eireann intend to break it theres no way this timetable can be right.
Many of the new timetables make no sense or have poor timings that are just not logical or practical or not possible in some cases
10-10-2011, 23:28   #4
The Maverick

It's good to see some tweaking of this timetable, the current one simply does not work. The bus is guranteed to be at least 10 minutes late on a good day, it just cannot complete the route in the alloted time.
13-10-2011, 23:49   #5
tom23

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Maverick View Post
It's good to see some tweaking of this timetable, the current one simply does not work. The bus is guranteed to be at least 10 minutes late on a good day, it just cannot complete the route in the alloted time.
Good to see some tweaking if you are living in Kells and beyond. Yet again the commuters of Navan are treated like second class citizens. Not only do we now get to see the scenic route of Navan by Kentstown and Johnstown Road, we also get to stop in the great but always busy Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

This little detour is sure to add at least 10 / 15 minutes onto the journey time and will be an absolute nightmare come Christmas. So we are back to the bad old days of commuting from Navan. And they want bums on seats, Sillan tours get ready for a huge increase in business.

I would love to know who exactly are Bus Eireann catering for? Out of the five peak time buses from 5:50 to 7:05 can at least one of them be an express that just bypasses Clonee and the now propsed Blanchardstown SC? Is this to much to ask?

Seroiulsy peed of with this. Cant affored a car and by jaysus if I could I would straight away. Any other commuters from Navan please feel free to ad to this thread.
Advertisement
14-10-2011, 08:48   #6
lxflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom23 View Post
Good to see some tweaking if you are living in Kells and beyond. Yet again the commuters of Navan are treated like second class citizens. Not only do we now get to see the scenic route of Navan by Kentstown and Johnstown Road, we also get to stop in the great but always busy Blanchardstown Shopping Centre.

This little detour is sure to add at least 10 / 15 minutes onto the journey time and will be an absolute nightmare come Christmas. So we are back to the bad old days of commuting from Navan. And they want bums on seats, Sillan tours get ready for a huge increase in business.

I would love to know who exactly are Bus Eireann catering for? Out of the five peak time buses from 5:50 to 7:05 can at least one of them be an express that just bypasses Clonee and the now propsed Blanchardstown SC? Is this to much to ask?

Seroiulsy peed of with this. Cant affored a car and by jaysus if I could I would straight away. Any other commuters from Navan please feel free to ad to this thread.
I think you are over-reacting a bit here and need to look at the timetable again.

First lets deal with the new service operating via Kentstown Road and Johnstown Road.

If you look at the timetable again you will note that from Dublin at the same time every hour that this bus operates, a direct service also operates via the M3 to Navan. From Navan the direct M3 service operates 10 minutes after the service via Kentstown Road and Johnstown Road - just wait the 10 minutes and you get there faster - therefore you do not have to take the slower service at all.

As for your Blanchardstown SC/Clonee comments I have no idea where you are coming from?

In the evening peak from 1600 to 1945 no buses serve Blanchardstown SC whatsoever. There are also two services via the M3 at 1730 and 1830 to Navan that do not serve Clonee. Blanchardstown SC is only served by departures from Dublin between 0830 and 1530, and between 1900 and 2330. Similarly from Navan it is served by departures after 0935.
14-10-2011, 14:13   #7
John R

Quote:

Did you even read the timetable? Improving services for Navan is the main aim of this timetable change.

In the AM all 109 services bypass Blanchardstown SC until the 09.35 departure from Navan. Navan now has 2 departures at 07.05, 07.20 that will operate via the M3.

Offpeak there will be 3 services per hour from Navan:
xx:05 (from Cavan) via M3
xx:35 (from Kells) via Dunshaughlin
xx:55 (starting in Navan) via Johnstown Rd, Dunshaughlin.

PM Peak there are services every 15 mns to Navan from 16.00 to 18.45 none of which will stop at Blanch SC, there will also be 2 expresses at 17.30 and 18.30 via the M3 for Navan only.

All in all it is an improvement on the current service and re-instates the direct link from Cavan to Navan. Having said that routing anything through Blanch SC is IMO a big mistake and regional services such as this shouldn't be going near traffic black holes like that when a vast majority of the passengers will be going to/from the city.

If you wish to switch to Sillan go ahead but are you really sure that their 4 southbound and 3 northbound services a day will suit you?
14-10-2011, 15:16   #8
tom23

Quote:
Originally Posted by John R View Post
Did you even read the timetable? Improving services for Navan is the main aim of this timetable change.

In the AM all 109 services bypass Blanchardstown SC until the 09.35 departure from Navan. Navan now has 2 departures at 07.05, 07.20 that will operate via the M3.

Offpeak there will be 3 services per hour from Navan:
xx:05 (from Cavan) via M3
xx:35 (from Kells) via Dunshaughlin
xx:55 (starting in Navan) via Johnstown Rd, Dunshaughlin.

PM Peak there are services every 15 mns to Navan from 16.00 to 18.45 none of which will stop at Blanch SC, there will also be 2 expresses at 17.30 and 18.30 via the M3 for Navan only.

All in all it is an improvement on the current service and re-instates the direct link from Cavan to Navan. Having said that routing anything through Blanch SC is IMO a big mistake and regional services such as this shouldn't be going near traffic black holes like that when a vast majority of the passengers will be going to/from the city.

If you wish to switch to Sillan go ahead but are you really sure that their 4 southbound and 3 northbound services a day will suit you?
Thanks for the replies, I have misread the timetable, apologies, I hold my hand up, thanks for clarifying this, a big sigh of relief as it is considerably improved. Thanks again.
Thanks from:
14-10-2011, 20:34   #9
LaFlammeRouge
Closed Account

The new timetable sucks for me. The bus I usually get is now stopping in Dunboyne and as a result missing my stop at the Sheaf of Wheat at Bracetown.
Advertisement
15-10-2011, 03:51   #10
lxflyer

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlammeRouge View Post
The new timetable sucks for me. The bus I usually get is now stopping in Dunboyne and as a result missing my stop at the Sheaf of Wheat at Bracetown.
Which proves it is unfortunately impossible to please everyone.

Last edited by lxflyer; 15-10-2011 at 03:55.
(2) thanks from:
17-10-2011, 22:12   #11
tom23

Ok folks, I know some posters have pointed out the timetable and its improvements, thank you. But for some reasons there seems to be a lot of confusion among the commuters as to where the bus is stopping to and from Navan. There are three stops in Navan, Market Square, Outside the Ardboyne Hotel and the last stop at the Willows. The new timetable lists two new stops and does not mention the old one, surely that deserves a mention. According to a Bus Eireann driver, he says all Buses will be stopping in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (personally find this hard to believe as it would be a crazy move on the part of Bus Eireann).

I have rang their customer service and they not could verify if the bus was indeed stopping in Blanch SC, have sent an email, got a read receipt but no reply. Other commuters have had the same experience. I might be over reacting, thats fine, but the news story on the web offer very little explanation of the service from Navan. Very confusing.
17-10-2011, 22:31   #12
LaFlammeRouge
Closed Account

It's very annoying they don't flag these changes far in advance and provide plenty of information. The way they have gone about this allows very little time to find alternatives.
18-10-2011, 09:11   #13
lxflyer

Quote:
Ok folks, I know some posters have pointed out the timetable and its improvements, thank you. But for some reasons there seems to be a lot of confusion among the commuters as to where the bus is stopping to and from Navan. There are three stops in Navan, Market Square, Outside the Ardboyne Hotel and the last stop at the Willows. The new timetable lists two new stops and does not mention the old one, surely that deserves a mention. According to a Bus Eireann driver, he says all Buses will be stopping in Blanchardstown Shopping Centre (personally find this hard to believe as it would be a crazy move on the part of Bus Eireann).

I have rang their customer service and they not could verify if the bus was indeed stopping in Blanch SC, have sent an email, got a read receipt but no reply. Other commuters have had the same experience. I might be over reacting, thats fine, but the news story on the web offer very little explanation of the service from Navan. Very confusing.
The timetable clearly explains which buses serve Blanchardstown Shopping Centre and which ones do not - I fail to see what the problem is? If there is no time printed in the row for Blanchardstown SC in the timetable then they bypass the shopping centre . If there is a time in that row, they do operate via the Shopping Centre itself. Simple as.

Similarly if there is a time in the Blanchardstown (Slip Road) row, then they serve the Slip Road, otherwise they do not.

As far as stops in Navan are concerned - from what I can see the only change is that some off-peak buses will operate via Johnstown and Kentstown Road. They will be the only ones not serving the Ardboyne Hotel stop. The other buses follow the traditional route through Navan from Kells, with those that operate via the M3 doing so south of the town.

As for the Willows - I can't confirm that one - but I assume if that is where the 109 buses that terminate in Navan stop, then they will continue to do so. However, they are now fewer in number.

That's the sum total of the changes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFlammeRouge View Post
It's very annoying they don't flag these changes far in advance and provide plenty of information. The way they have gone about this allows very little time to find alternatives.
They've given two weeks notice, which is more than they are obliged to do under the NTA contract. As I said above no matter what changes are made to timetables, there are always going to be some people who are inconvenienced.

Last edited by lxflyer; 18-10-2011 at 09:17.
Thanks from:
24-10-2011, 22:52   #14
Alex70

Bus Eireann 109

Complete disaster this morning 40 minutes late, anybody with same issues. BE customer services could not explain the changes.
25-10-2011, 10:40   #15
tom23

Got the 07.05 Express both mornings and was pretty pleased. Plenty of seats getting on at the Ardboyne. Though coming home on the 4:15 timetable says it does not serve Dunboyne but we went through Clonee and the Sheef of Wheat Dunboyne. Can't understand that, I asked the Bus driver and he did not know. I rang BE customer service and got no where, have lost faith in that service as I had previously sent an email asking specific questions and got the web story cut and pasted in a reply.

Regardless the express works and is better than nothing.

Last edited by tom23; 25-10-2011 at 10:42.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion