Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Property - Calling the bottom ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

I don't think so.

At least not until the amount of people failing to pay mortgauges starts decreasing instead of increasing.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,387 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I don't think so either. There is a bit of a viscous circle going on in the property market, banks are being extremely conservative so money is tight which means there isn't a big number of people frantically bidding against one another for properties so prices will remain very soft for the foreseeable future.

Demand is weak, access to mortgages is restricted and even with virtually no building going on there's oversupply because of foreclosures, executor sales, investment properties on the market because they can't get tenants or a decent rent and houses for sale by people emigrating. You don't need a degree in economics to figure out the effect that has on property prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Grecco

Err No.
    Its gonna get worse as well
    More Taxes
    More defaults
    More Emigration
    Less Migration into the country when they start cutting dole and rent assistance etc

Dublin will fair out the best but the rest of the country will fall even further,
    I reckon another 20-40% in places

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fodda

No economy

No money

Too many empty houses - market swamped - over supply by many many years.

Economy will get worse or most possibly total collapse and collapse in other countries.

People will never again (except very few hard core) ever look at property in Ireland as investment ever again so buyers will never be there.

Ireland never was an attractive property investment anyway except for boom years which we now know should never have happened ....to our cost.

Could go on and on with why nots and never agains.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

You sound despondent! :D

Market-Emotions-Cycle.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,047 ✭✭✭✭neris

fodda wrote: »
    People will never again (except very few hard core) ever look at property in Ireland as investment ever again so buyers will never be there.

Never say never, when it comes to investments and markets people have very short memories.

I would have thought that should the banks start repossesing and trying fire sales with those properties that would lower the market even further.

neris wrote: »
    Never say never, when it comes to investments and markets people have very short memories.

I would have thought that should the banks start repossesing and trying fire sales with those properties that would lower the market even further.

Well i would love to agree but i am old enough to remember that property increases only started mid to late seventies in the UK before that there were no increases in most domestic property as people never saw it as an investment. In those day you had to meet the bank manager before he would grant you a loan for a second hand car never mind buy a house and a very very large deposit maybe 25% plus was needed.

Ireland only had a property boom because banks gave 90% plus mortgages to people who couldnt afford it with money the banks had borrowed from elsewhere (its easy to give away other peoples money).............Then when Irish people were told it was going to pop they didnt want to know and now it has, they blame everybody but themselves.

The banks if they survive can never give away money as mortgages as they did before, even if they wanted to, who the hell is going to borrow money to Irish banks?:)

Pretty internet graphs prove nothing expecially the fact that now everything has changed and the main economy of the world is now out east who really do not need us to grow.....so all the jobs have gone out east and to developing nations who tick along nicely and poor old over populated Europe cant get its head out of its backside with nothing to offer the rest of the world but technology which the east catches up on in leaps and bounds.

So my point is there are no jobs on the horizon for anybody to fill the banks with savings and put down on deposits for mortgages (which is what usually happens to the end of a recession)...........unless you become a low cost economy again attracting investment and jobs but that may put cash in the banks but house prices like everything else will have to adjust to suit.

The only reason prices haven't gone below zero is because they haven't been reprosessed because the reprosessors probably don't want them? If mortgage holders still owe you money, that in a way looks good on the books. Hold thousands of reprosessed properties which you cant sell unless at rock bottom and even then you can't sell because you haven't got the money to borrow interested parties .........doesn't look good on the books.

Still it's your money:)

All you have to do is look what happened in Japan. Back in the early 90s they had there property boom and bust. Today 20 years later house and apartment values are still only half to a third of what they were back then.
    And Japan had and still has a real economy!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Grecco wrote: »
    All you have to do is look what happened in Japan. Back in the early 90s they had there property boom and bust. Today 20 years later house and apartment values are still only half to a third of what they were back then.
    And Japan had and still has a real economy!!!

yeah but there is one huge difference and that is that japan has an old and ageing population - ireland has the young population in europe and will need housing.

mickman wrote: »
    yeah but there is one huge difference and that is that japan has an old and ageing population - ireland has the young population in europe and will need housing.

There are many countries which have very large younger generations but that doesnt cause house price rises and in Ireland history tells you where the Irish go.

Jobs - Money........Hard to do when you hardly even have an economy except for the odd passing multi-national.

• Advertisement

Not that young, and ageing

Pyramidireland.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭Smcgie

zod wrote: »

Market-Emotions-Cycle.jpg

Fantastic image I'm saving that!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Grecco wrote: »
    Not that young, and ageing

Pyramidireland.gif

not that young? - the largest ammount of people are in the 20-24 age group. give a guess what these people will need ??? yes they will need houses

this population pyramid would be classed as being very favourable for the future

If they hang around and if they have jobs and if they have money and if money is avaliable to be borrowed to them and if they see houses as an investment or like the rest of Europe prefer to rent.

You base your assessments on how things once were and never can be again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,455 ✭✭✭✭Monty Burnz

Unfortunately, most of the population is somewhere between fear and denial. A way to go yet.

not that young? - the largest ammount of people are in the 20-24 age group. give a guess what these people will need ??? yes they will need houses

More than housing, they will need jobs. Guess which demographic is leaving the country in droves?

By the way, have we still not broken through the idiotic notion that high property prices are a good thing? :confused:

Maybe one day people may realise that trapping most of the peoples wealth in property/banks for most of their life is a bad thing and all you are doing is becoming a servant/slave to the banks for 25 years.

It also is no good for the economy. In the UK there was no recession or boom and bust until people started taking all their money out of the economy and investing in property. Somehow countries like Germany do not suffer the same fate......maybe it's because nearly everybody rents there?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭Soulja boy

As the forclosure mill starts to gear up (We haven't seen the tip of the iceberg of forclosures yet.), I would expect property to drop to run alongside that.

Soulja boy wrote: »
    As the forclosure mill starts to gear up (We haven't seen the tip of the iceberg of forclosures yet.), I would expect property to drop to run alongside that.

I can see it dropping either way. If there are a lot of foreclosures, we'll have a lot of new properties on the market to drive prices down even more.

But if there aren't a lot of foreclosures (and I don't expect that there will be) it will mean that mortgages are not effectively secured by anything at all, which will mean it will be very hard for Irish banks to raise money to lend to potential Irish buyers on the money markets (why would you lend money to Irish banks where it's not really secured against anything? :confused:). As a consequence, there will be far less money available to buy property here, and/or far higher interest rates will be charged by banks because they will have to pay far more to borrow (again pushing down prices).

Without repossessions, the whole country will basically become sub-prime borrowers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭books4sale

Sorry there bud, ya didn't let anyone answer,

.......but yeah, you're wrong, I guess jobs.

What's the bettin' we'll still be trying to figure out the bottom 5 years from now?

Thanks for lookin'...until next time.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

THE property market is within months of reaching the bottom and house prices in the greater Dublin area could rebound with "the speed and vigour" of a ping-pong ball released under water, according to one expert.

http://www.independent.ie/national-news/houseprice-rebound-to-divide-the-country-2900588.html

That's a dreadful metaphor. The only reason a ping-pong ball shoots up is because you are artificially disturbing its equilibrium by holding it down. Nobody is holding down property prices - in fact, the last 5 years has been spent by VIs trying to hold them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

I don't know that there's a long way to drop still, simply because I don't have any real idea of what actual sales prices are. Until the new register of sales comes out, we'll be at the mercy of estate agents, rumour and property supplements for that information.

The key factors to consider are money in the pocket, which can only decline for the next 4-5 yrs. There will be approx. 4Bn removed from the economy this year, another 4bn to be announced as coming out of the economy next year and I would expect at least the same for each of the 2 years after that. Therefore in a best case scenario, that's 16bn less money swirling around than there was last year.

That obviously impacts hugely on banks' ability and willingness to lend, salaries in general will be lower, net pay will be much lower and the key determinant in the prices of houses is quite simply, the amount and ease of credit obtainable from banks.

I short, we most probably have a bit to go yet and it will be quite a while before we see prices increasing.

Caveat, all the above is on the assumption that inflation can be kept under control, I'm not convinced that is the right course of action, or if it will be achievable.

Advertisement