Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwordsCC - Introductory/Beginner Spin

Options
  • 05-10-2011 11:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Introductory /Beginner Spin: 60km – 80km. This ride is designed for people who are relatively new to the sport or who have never done a group ride. The ride will be at a manageable pace lead by an experienced club member. Don’t worry if you think you are slow, we won’t leave anyone behind on this ride but we do ask that you have the ability to ride at least 40-50km before giving it a go. After you attend these couple of rides you might want to join in with the regular groups we have on the go which cater for various abilities. Riders who wish to keep up the spins with Swords will be asked to take out membership.
    What to bring: Water bottle, food (cereal bar, banana etc), money, spare tube, tire levers, pump, rain cape, mobile phone.
    Dates: Sunday 16th and Sunday 23rd October
    Time: 9:30 am
    Location: Meeting at the Loyrd Mayers pub, main street, Swords

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

Bump. Here is the route
    http://bikeroutetoaster.com/Course.aspx?course=319425

There will also be a shorter 20-40k spin for those wishing to take a shorter route.

9.30am, Sunday 16th Oct at the Lord Mayors, Main Street, Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

07Lapierre wrote: »
    What to bring: Water bottle, food (cereal bar, banana etc), money, spare tube, tire levers, pump, rain cape, mobile phone.

Helmet and maybe some form of ID (might be a good idea in case of emergency.)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭Dermot Illogical

Thanks lads, particularly to whoever was in charge of the weather. It was an enjoyable spin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Looked like a big enough crowd. The peleton passed me as myself and another Swordsie were getting into the car with our sons to go to footie. Looks lke you got a great morn for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 601 ✭✭✭alexanderomahon

Thanks to all involved

• Advertisement

Glad yis enjoyed it.

bump. Second one tomorrow.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Good turn-out today

Split into 2 groups - the faster one had about 16 riders and was averaging about 27.5kph over 65km in some pretty miserable conditions on a quite challenging course. Well done to everyone taking part.

Nice to meet Inquitus wearing the only boards jersey in the group

Lusk Doyle was either dropped early on, or decided to go with the slower group;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Lusk Doyle

Beasty wrote: »
    Good turn-out today

Split into 2 groups - the faster one had about 16 riders and was averaging about 27.5kph over 65km in some pretty miserable conditions on a quite challenging course. Well done to everyone taking part.

Nice to meet Inquitus wearing the only boards jersey in the group

Lusk Doyle was either dropped early on, or decided to go with the slower group;)

You're some tulip! I was the rear guard of the slower group. 55k with an average of 22kph.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Lusk Doyle wrote: »
    You're some tulip! I was the rear guard of the slower group. 55k with an average of 22kph.

;)
    Burnt off by an Auld fella.....

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    ;)
    Burnt off by an Auld fella.....

I tell ya I felt like an auld fella when I got up this morning after bout six pints and four hours kip! I was not going to be doing anything special today!

I was not going to be doing anything special today!

Or any other day.

Raam wrote: »
    Or any other day.

Bite me bike-boy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,734 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Enjoyable Spin, but for the miserable weather. Only time my Garmin barometer has crapped out bar the WW200 in June.

http://app.strava.com/rides/2074295

Lost a spoke after going over Ardgillan, climbed up to Naul with a **** ton of "resistance" from the rear break, til I stopped to knock the break off. Then got a puncture on my doorstep, nice timing I guess!

Can anybody tell me which is the easier club ride tomorrow the 9 am or 10 am?

Just to remind folk that the sign on night for 2012 is taking place on November 24th, so if you want to join up, this is the best time to do it.
    Time: 8.30pm

Any queries email: swordscc@gmail.com

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,142 ✭✭✭shamwari

What are the annual fees?

shamwari wrote: »
    What are the annual fees?

They are the fees for any given year.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Can't remember fully but €100 for the gear, €35 for the league and the licence depends on your intentions. Missing anything anyone?

Loads of details here.
    https://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/membership

This is our membership form from last year, I expect prices are the same, but you will know for certain on the night.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1G5oJXvV98_Nzc1MmYzMjMtNWQxNy00NGQ5LTkyNTEtYWNiY2E2ZDIzNjk5&hl=en_GB&authkey=CMCl9GM

I don't know what the fees for Cycling Ireland are for 2012, but you can also find out on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Just to remind folk that the sign on night for 2012 is taking place on November 24th, so if you want to join up, this is the best time to do it.
    Time: 8.30pm

Any queries email: swordscc@gmail.com

Thanks for that, hope to be there and join up. Can someone tell the wife I need a new bike.

• Advertisement

greenmat wrote: »
    Thanks for that, hope to be there and join up. Can someone tell the wife I need a new bike.

Get it delivered to the office and she need never know!

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,625 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Can someone tell the wife I need a new bike.
    I've told her - she "claims" not to know you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭greenmat

Told the kids Santa died in a car crash on the M50 so I'm sorted now.

• Registered Users Posts: 650 ✭✭✭jimm

Told the kids Santa died in a car crash on the M50 so I'm sorted now.

A guy in work used to jest that a week before Christmas, he would bring his kids to visit Santa's grave.

Here's another one for the cash strapped......Leave an empty box under the tree, labelled "Killed-in-Action Man" :o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Loads of details here.
    https://sites.google.com/site/swordscc/membership

This is our membership form from last year, I expect prices are the same, but you will know for certain on the night.
    https://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&pid=explorer&chrome=true&srcid=0B1G5oJXvV98_Nzc1MmYzMjMtNWQxNy00NGQ5LTkyNTEtYWNiY2E2ZDIzNjk5&hl=en_GB&authkey=CMCl9GM

I don't know what the fees for Cycling Ireland are for 2012, but you can also find out on the night.

Swordscc Individual Membership is €50 for 2012. No increase. Cycling Ireland membership may change, but haven't heard yet. You'll find information regarding the different licenses and fees Here The club competition license (€55) is the most popular as its the minimum license needed to do the Swordscc Club League.

Anyone coming along on the 24th, please download the swordscc membership form and have it filled out, as it can be quite busy on the night.

Club gear will also be on sale on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Is the club gear mandatory? For leisure spins rather than racing...

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Is the club gear mandatory? For leisure spins rather than racing...

You can wear whatever you like, as long as you look awesome.

You can wear whatever you like, as long as you look awesome.
    Yeah - I hardly ever wear the club gear :D

Beasty wrote: »
    Yeah - I hardly ever wear the club gear :D

This has been noticed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

They are the fees for any given year.

Sorry, couldn't resist! Can't remember fully but €100 for the gear, €35 for the league and the licence depends on your intentions. Missing anything anyone?

Club league is €30 (or €5 sign-on per race)
    Individual membership is €50 (€25 for Student/unwaged)

Advertisement