Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NHL: 2011-2012 Season Thread

Options
  • 04-10-2011 11:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭

48 hours to lift off...!

Some talking points to get the ball rolling:
    • When will Crosby return? Who will be the next concussion victim and how will Shanny's iron fist affect the intensity of the play?
    • How will the Flyers trades turn out?
    • Will anyone in Winnipeg sleep this year?
    • Who is the best in the West?
    • Which player will the surprise package this year?
    • How will Boston and Vancouver cope with the level of expectation upon them this year?
    • What can/will be done about the tragic events of the off-season?
    • Where will Sean Avery end up?

As with most Pens fans, I believe the season hinges upon when Crosby returns and how he performs when he does get back. I hope, for his sake, that he isn't rushed back, and I really don't think he will be. It's too serious an injury to take risks. If Malkin can carry his form into the regular season it'll be a huge boost until Sid does return. I'd be happy with top 5 in the East in the regular season and a fit roster to hit the playoffs full-steam ahead.

Stanley Cup Betting (not in proper order):

Washington Capitals
    6/1
    Buffalo Sabres
    18/1
    Toronto Maple Leafs
    50/1
    Pittsburgh Penguins
    13/2
    New York Rangers
    25/1
    Colorado Avalanche
    50/1
    Chicago Blackhawks
    8/1
    Anaheim Ducks
    25/1
    Minnesota Wild
    66/1
    San Jose Sharks
    17/2
    Montreal Canadiens
    33/1
    Columbus Blue Jackets
    66/1
    Vancouver Canucks
    17/2
    Nashville Predators
    33/1
    New York Islanders
    66/1
    Philadelphia Flyers
    10/1
    Edmonton Oilers
    35/1
    Dallas Stars
    80/1
    Boston Bruins
    10/1
    Calgary Flames
    40/1
    Phoenix Coyotes
    100/1
    Los Angeles Kings
    12/1
    Carolina Hurricanes
    40/1
    Winnipeg Jets
    100/1
    Detroit Red Wings
    14/1
    St. Louis Blues
    40/1
    Florida Panthers
    100/1
    Tampa Bay Lightning
    16/1
    New Jersey Devils
    40/1
    Ottawa Senators
    150/1

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

Being a flames fan I am not holding out for much, still not much depth to the team and Iginla must take a sickie soon. Still there are quite a few players who can get the puck in the net and a few players who if they pull out a performance like their hype I think they may make the play off's.

Canucks will take the Western Conference, Pens or flyers will take the East.

Looking at the odds for the Stanley Cup I am putting a tenner on both Flyers and the Wings, beers are on me if one comes in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

krissovo wrote: »
    Being a flames fan I am not holding out for much, still not much depth to the team and Iginla must take a sickie soon. Still there are quite a few players who can get the puck in the net and a few players who if they pull out a performance like their hype I think they may make the play off's.

Canucks will take the Western Conference, Pens or flyers will take the East.

Looking at the odds for the Stanley Cup I am putting a tenner on both Flyers and the Wings, beers are on me if one comes in :D

I'll need a beer if the Flyers win... :P

The puck drops tonight at midnight:

07/10 Flyers vs. Bruins 00:00
    07/10 Canadiens vs. Maple Leafs 00:00
    07/10 Penguins vs. Canucks 03:00
    07/10 Ducks vs. Sabres 18:00
    07/10 Rangers vs. Kings 18:00

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Izy

crosby wont play this side of christmas

i hope the flyers sent their organization back at least 5 years with trading away richards and carter :D

the pens to win the cup ( as every year for me :cool: )

the jets will struggle under the fan pressure

the canucks (they beat the pens tonite :mad: )

erik johnson ( colorado d ) will finally live up to expectations

both boston and vancouver get to the play offs easy but wont go too far

the tragedy... i dont know man, being from slovakia its extra hard... loosing demitra is tough, grew up idolising every player from every team... hockey is the hurling of the nation...

avery... seriously who cares

• Registered Users Posts: 1,675 ✭✭✭TechnoPool

I see sid coming back after xmas on absolute fire but he's going to get lit up , he wont fancy any 50/50's. I really hope it isnt the case. But one more monster hit and his career could be over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭Shanannigan

:D it begins again... not a great start for though... bittersweet night for me

• Advertisement

Pens almost blew a 2 goal lead last night, but won it in a shootout thanks to Geno and Letang. Whoever has Matt Cooke in their fantasy team, if anyone, should be happy this morning. He had a PP and a SH goal.

wow i haven't been keeping track at all, didn't realise that Alex Kovalev had gone back to Russia... he'll be missed in the NHL methinks

Sabres are out of the blocks quick smart so far.. wonder if they'll take that form home from Europe with them..

in other news.. Thomas pulled off another wonder save take a look!

Habs have the honor of welcoming the Jets back to the NHL tonight when we visit them in Winnipeg... looking forward to this matchup... that barn is gonna be electric tonight methinks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Sabres are out of the blocks quick smart so far.. wonder if they'll take that form home from Europe with them..

I liked how they adapted to the Kings strong forechecking after a shakey 1st period. Looking forward to a season with Roy back and hopefully a Vanek firing on all cylinders.

Kessel was on fine form for the Leafs in an 11 goal thriller last night.

Looking forward to this one and it's on early enough too!

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    I liked how they adapted to the Kings strong forechecking after a shakey 1st period. Looking forward to a season with Roy back and hopefully a Vanek firing on all cylinders.

Kessel was on fine form for the Leafs in an 11 goal thriller last night.

Looking forward to this one and it's on early enough too!

Great tribute to Rick Rypien and an electric atmosphere as expected. Pity Camalleri had to spoil the party.

Spacek and Camalleri gone now...

Camalleri's one looked really bad, he was panicking a lot. Still waiting for that huge first WPG goal...

dammit... i got cammi in my fantasy lineup..

dammit... i got cammi in my fantasy lineup..

Least he got the goal I guess. Still no word on his injury.

Don Cherrie seems certain about it... could that be Winnipeg bias?

Plekanec is always a threat when he goes forward!!! great goal

Pity the game has probably now been ruined by such a bad call against Byfuglien when WPG had all the momentum.

Very harsh call alright, there's been a few questionable ones that went the Habs way.

Price has been a stone wall though

It's not WPG's night, unlucky bounce off the linesman.

Very well taken goal all the same.

• Advertisement

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Very harsh call alright, there's been a few questionable ones that went the Habs way.

Price has been a stone wall though

He really is so calm and cocky, very funny to watch. Good night for Montreal, gets their season up and running.

Patchy's back!!
    MrJoeSoap wrote: »
    He really is so calm and cocky, very funny to watch. Good night for Montreal, gets their season up and running.

couple of high shots looked like he was yawning or stretching to save them... he makes it look effortless

Patchy's back!!

couple of high shots looked like he was yawning or stretching to save them... he makes it look effortless

Jim Hughson said it was like he was playing against pee-wee teams, thats a great way of describing his style. Certainly wouldn't mind having him in my Fantasy team if he keeps this up.

he's especially valued with the habs defensive problems.. its a bloody skeleton crew they're working with right now.. but some of them have played out of their skins.. Desharnais in particular

2 weeks for Cammi... dammit!!

7 points from 4 games now for the Pens, a flying start given that Malkin has missed the last two and Crosby... well, we all know about Crosby. Thats the Penguins best start in 17 seasons.

4-2 win against the Panthers last night, with Matt Cooke getting his third of the season (already!) and Joe Vitale getting a couple of assists. James Neal is also stepping up to the plate in the absence of the big guns.

In other news, Rich Peverley has signed a 3 year, $3.25 million per season deal with the Bruins that will kick in after this season and run through the 2014-15 season.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

Going for Vancouver to beat Philly tonight.

Match just starting now, my first match of the season to watch.

Match just starting now, my first match of the season to watch.

Joining it in-progress. As expected, Claude Giroux is turning into an animal this season. Devastated I didn't get a chance to pick him for my fantasy team.

• Advertisement

Goal vancouver 4-3 come on the cannucks.

Advertisement