Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 38: Sweet Potato Shepherds Pie

Options
  • 26-09-2011 2:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭

Trying to go for something hearty and wholesome comfort food that is easy put together and hits the spot on a cold evening.It's not an exact recipe and that what makes it great ,everyone has there take on it.What I wanted to do with the sauce is have is rich and thick with a sweetness to it that went well with the sweet potato.I'll post pics when I get sent them and refine the recipe when I have a little more time over next few days.

This does one big tray and 6-10 servings depending on if you have it alone or with something on the side.

Ingredients:
    olive oil
    beef mince(800g) (2.95 tesco)
    bacon pieces(500g)(1.00 tesco)
    carrots(500g)
    2 onions
    frozen peas (100g)
    2 beef stock cubes
    gravy granules
    2 cloves of garlic chopped
    Worcestershire sauce
    Tomato puree
    Sage,Rosemary and Parsley and other spices to taste

800g sweet potato
    1kg potato
    2 eggs
    100ml milk
    50g butter
    salt and black pepper

Grated cheese to top.

Recipe:

Top.
    1.Peel and chopped potato and sweet potato into chunks . Steam the potatoes and put in a clove of garlic to fragrance.
    2.When soft take of heat and mash. Add butter and milk first and while still warm mix in two eggs until very soft.
    3. Add a salt and pepper to taste.

Bottom.
    1.Chop up carrots , onions and bacon pieces
    2.Heat a little olive oil in (wok style)pan(or use a big pot) bacon pieces and then put in mince piece but piece until browned . I used bacon pieces as it really worked well giving a different texture.
    3.Add water into pan to cover the meat.
    4.Add stock cube,2tbsp tomato puree and Worcestershire and herbs to meat .I added a little sweet chill sauce as it as sweet and brought a richness to the flavour. I also added nutmeg as it really gives it a kick.
    5.Add carrots peas and onions.
    6.Leave to reduce and cook slowly
    7.When veg is cooked to your liking thicken using cornflour or sprinkle a few gravy granules into dish until the sauce is at your desired thickness
    8. Put into baking tray and spread evenly
    9. Dollop potato onto base and smooth across top. Don't spread to evenly.
    10. Sprinkle cheese across top and put in over for 15-20 mins at gas mark 6
    11. buon appetito !

img1423bz.jpg
    img1432xo.jpg
    img1425vk.jpg
    img1434j.jpg
    img1438g.jpg
    img1441t.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

Looks wonderful. I'm going to wait for the weather to get a little cooler before making this one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

Ponster wrote: »
    Looks wonderful. I'm going to wait for the weather to get a little cooler before making this one :)

I think that time may have come! :pac:

I'm thinking of making this soon, cHaTbOx, and I'm wondering what the eggs do taste and texture-wise. I've never come across a recipe involving eggs in mash.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

I found it made it fluffier and gave it more body and browning when you don't want to put cheese on top . Just make sure the potatoes are hot enough .
    Really goes well against the richness of the base and it is easy enough to dish out .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

This is what it turned out like:

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=10783

Thanks, cHaTbOx!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I made this today. It was very good. However, I made a mistake and bought a butternut squash instead of sweet potatoes. I only copped on to this when I was putting the mash on top. :o

boardssheppie.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,011 ✭✭✭cHaTbOx

As long as it tasted good that is the main thing :) How did you find the sweetness of it with the butternut squash ?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

Made up last night and ready to be popped in the oven for tonight's tea...

178196.jpg

And nyom, nyom, nyom :)

178257.jpg

178258.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 14,246 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

Sparks wrote: »

<Mod snip - Please don't quote pics>

Nyom nyom is right! Looks amazing!:D

Tasted fantastic too - I deviated slightly from the recipe for the filling in that I didn't use beef mince, but chunks of beef (cut to about a 1/2 inch cube) and cubes of back bacon (1/4 inch cubes), and I added a dash of red wine to the stock and then cooked it in the pressure cooker for an hour and a half before adding the peas (and some sweetcorn for colour) and thickening it with masa harina (just because it was closer to hand than the flour, it doesn't add anything to the taste). Apart from those small changes, it's the same recipe, and it tastes excellent!

• Advertisement

Oh, and no egg in the mash either. But that was a mistake (forgot it!) than a change as such :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Susie_Q

Sparks wrote: »

178257.jpg

178258.jpg

Holy jaysus, I'm feckin starving now!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

I made this last week, first attempted dish from the cooking club after lurking around and reading recipes for weeks. The topping was really nice with the combination of sweet potato and normal potato - I'll definitely do it like that again! It was wolfed down, I just about managed to save a portion for lunch the next day :D

Advertisement