Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

frost - no water for cattle.

Options
  • 22-09-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭

Hi guys ,
    An eye catcher eh, Im thinking ahead a bit as i'm Getting badly caught with water troughs on a yearly basis, having to draw water and all.

Thinking of burying 2 x 1000l plastic tanks beside sheds and filling off rain guttering and then setting up a small mains water pump. To bury the tanks would be the hardest part and then keeping them clean. anyone try anything DIY like this?? I want to set up right once and for all...........

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

You could buy one of them frost valves that were at the ploughing for around €80. Assuming that your main water pipe is deep enough under ground.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,631 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Ya you're not the only one that got caught, if a bigger tank, say 3-4000L was up on a loft in the cattle shed and well insulated(small square bales) would it work? I worked in Denmark (long time ago now) and they used to drain the pipes every evening and blow them out with a compressor.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭crackcrack30

Saw a bit on the news , thought it was an individual tap or something, are they used for mains entry to the shed as well? Are they a diy or plumber fit? were they selling well? Surely they will go on every shed in the country........

cheers for info.................cc30

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭Fishtits

I think there will be a major re-think on how we arrange water services given the way winter has gone...

Basically we have two options:

1) remove the water from minus whatever temperature (According to a previous post this option would seem to be in favour in Denmark)

2) Insulate. This has traditionally served us well but I fear the new climate will scupper traditional methods.

A never ending argument...

PS, keep sunlight away from your water store and you'll have no problem with algae etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Crackcrack30,
    Does your supply freeze over? By that I mean do the pipes freeze in the ground.
    If they dont then an insulated water trough would do the job. I saw one yesterday at the JFC stand. It has foam insulation in the wall of the trough and is rated for -40C. The cattle push down the white balls to get at the water.
    Here's the link.
    http://www.jfc.ie/WaterTroughs.html#panel10

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

Years ago the underground supply to our slatted tank got ruptured... Due to the layout it was impracticle to run a new one...

We set up a 2000l tank up on barrels at the end of the feed passage.. Just low enough to get a fall in from the spouting of the shed.. Fitted an overflow near the top to reduce flooding..

Drinkers are gravity fed from the tank, there are only two drinkers but it would run more...

It can withstand all but the worst of the frosts..

We keep on of those IBC's in the hayshed, if we have problems in the slatted shed I can fill the IBC direct from the pumphouse, sling it with the loader and fill a few tubs for the cattle.. didn't have to do that last winter but did the year before as a ruptured fitting drained the tank :mad:

It's not a pritty setup, bit scrsapheap challenge but it does work.. The overflow allows the water to be continuously freshed...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭flatout11

Hi guys ,
    An eye catcher eh, Im thinking ahead a bit as i'm Getting badly caught with water troughs on a yearly basis, having to draw water and all.

Thinking of burying 2 x 1000l plastic tanks beside sheds and filling off rain guttering and then setting up a small mains water pump. To bury the tanks would be the hardest part and then keeping them clean. anyone try anything DIY like this?? I want to set up right once and for all...........

thats the advantage of wet silage 20% dm = 4 kg og water for every 5 kg silage consumed, so unless its cows of cattle on a lot of meal there isnt much need
    we had the same problem last spring (incalf cows)
    in the end we had a 1000 g tank in the box for 5 weeks we have a connection of the mains that will fill it in 15 mins or so alternatively we have a small pump that will fill it faster ofter that we split 50 g blue barrels
    and put them in the corner of the pens and filled them once daily
    never needed all the water and emptied it when done,
    it was a chore but short of digging up all the pipes and redoin the plumbing what choice do you have?
    i dont thing the 100g tanks would be strong enough not to crack if the water froze

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

flatout11 wrote: »
    i dont thing the 100g tanks would be strong enough not to crack if the water froze

There fine in the frost..
    We also catch water in one outside, freezes through couple times a year and hasn't split yet (bet that's the hox on it now though):rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 9 LuckyPenny

Seen them at the Ploughing. They look the biz.
    http://www.glynns.ie/uploads/file/Fitting%20Instructions.pdf

Advertisement