Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tesco Internship

Options
  • 16-09-2011 9:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭

http://www.thejournal.ie/tesco-stands-behind-jobbridge-advert-228599-Sep2011/
    SUPERMARKET GIANT TESCO has said that its JobBridge internships are not filling jobs that are needed in its stores.

The company is seeking interns to work for six months “filling shelves according to merchandising plans and ensuring that customers do not have to queue”.

It says that the intern “will gain skills such as rotation of stock, customer service skills, management of waste and damages, merchandising to plans routines”.

TheJournal.ie contacted Tesco to ask if these internships fulfilled the criteria as set out by JobBridge.

The company replied:

We are supporters of the Government’s Job Bridge Programme and we want to help get people back to work. Candidates who apply to Tesco will have the opportunity to develop their employment prospects in our stores and in our head office.
    These internships are not designed to fill any job gaps in our workforce. Instead, candidates will experience every aspect of work in a fast moving modern and innovative retail environment. This will include customer service, merchandising and vital back office support roles. Candidates will also be offered the opportunity to apply for any new permanent positions should they arise.
    As Ireland’s leading retailer we provide fulfilling jobs and great careers to over 14,000 people in Ireland. We encourage our staff members to build their careers with us and have many development programmes tailored to suit all facets of work across the business.
    Earlier this year Tesco announced 522 new jobs as part of our €120 million investment programme in new stores.[/I][/I][/I][/I]

Where do I sign up....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,944 ✭✭✭fedor.2.

Thats a disgrace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Sky King

Disney are famous for doing that too in their theme parks.

Well, maybe not famous per se... but yeah, they do it. Saves them a fortune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

The company is seeking interns to work for six months “filling shelves

Hope someone packs their' fudge for them

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Every little helps....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Skills in stock rotation :eek: thats just what i need in my life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,358 ✭✭✭Dennis the Stone

They're some bunch of friggers.

No longer will I support grasping foreign multinationals that have no respect for this country or its people.

I'm taking my custom to Lidl.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Tesco; every little helps...... our shareholders

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

"These internships are not designed to fill any job gaps in our workforce. Instead, candidates will experience every aspect of work in a fast moving modern and innovative retail environment"

FFS!!!!!

What a load of absymnal bull ****e.

You could train a monkey to do that type of work in an hour, let alone a few months.

Opportunistic ****.

And yes, i have had 2 jobs doing this kind of ****e before, so I think i would qualify to know how worthless it feels working like a monkey and getting paid peanuts.

Except in this case, you're being worked like a monkey and not getting a paid 1 cent from the exploiter, um
    i mean "employer"
    Its a soul destroying job for people who would rather use their brains and make decisions in a job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

OMG... what a bad move. Everyone is going to be talking about this (in a negative way). Management are absolute fools. :D

What idiots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,822 ✭✭✭sunflower27

And what do they mean they are not filling jobs in stores with interns??? What, they are just doing this to help the unemployed learn very basic skills in stocktaking, out of the goodness of their hearts?

This is the worst I have seen yet on that scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Supervalu did the same with the WPP

At least Lidl pay their staff a decent wage

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Doge

What really grinds my gears is this though...

"Candidates will also be offered the opportunity to APPLY for any new permanent positions should they arise."

So let me get this right,
    As a reward for working your hole off for **** all pay,

you will be given the same "opportunity" to do what ANY member of the public aged over 16 can do without even ever stepping into the store before.

This is just insane, i love how these smooth criminals can twist words to make something like this sound good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

This is new Ireland ladies and gentlemen. Work for free and labour in government. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

I'm glad part of my pension was stolen to help pay for these "jobs".

Yes for Lisbon, yes for Jobs

I didn't think working for free for multi-billion pound PLC was a job

Labour are remarkably quiet on all this, where is Eamonn Gilmore gone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭wild_cat

I'll never vote labour again solely based on this jobs bridge fiasco.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If you got a CV in saying you did this it might work against you, i.e. the employer thinks you're stupid.

The vajazzling internship sounded more interesting

http://thedailyedge.thejournal.ie/finally-an-internship-opportunity-for-vajazzling-220351-Sep2011/
    THE LATEST OFFERING from the National Internship Scheme is one you may not have anticipated…

As well as showing interns how to give manicures, pedicures, massages and apply make-up and false tan, one lucky applicant will also be the permitted to enjoy the experience of… vajazzling someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

ughhh, that reads like a middle management hand grenade of buzz words went off.

"stock rotation" is basically putting sh1t on shelves. its something a trained chimp could do. theres no training needed, its just them getting free labour and making it look like they've given someone an oppurtunity, yeah an oppurtunity to do a sh1t job for no money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

And just in time for Xmas too...what a bunch of fcukers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

Boycott them. Simple. Get fucking organized - get on Facebook, get on boards, shit, talk to Joe. Enough is enough. This has to stop. I'm so sickened by this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

'The intern will gain practical experience...get what they want filling shelves according to merchandising plans.'

Wow that's the kind of experience any young graduate would thrive to gain :rolleyes:

But you get to learn about FIFO, LIFO and facing off

Which would take about ten seconds to explain

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Boycott them. Simple. Get fucking organized - get on Facebook, get on boards, shit, talk to Joe. Enough is enough. This has to stop. I'm so sickened by this.

The scheme rather than the company should be the aim of any campaign in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

krudler wrote: »
    its something a trained chimp could do.
    The chimp would be paid peanuts though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 292 ✭✭Eroticfishcake

mikemac wrote: »
    But you get to learn about FIFO, LIFO and facing off

Which would take about ten seconds to explain

Oh and you get €50 a week, how dare anyone turn down such an opportunity:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,019 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

waveform wrote: »
    "
    You could train a monkey to do that type of work in an hour, let alone a few months.

If the monkeys didn't get paid, the animal rights bunch would burn down the shops.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

rubadub wrote: »
    The chimp would be paid peanuts though.

tesco brand peanuts

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

One more nail in the coffin of JobBridge then.
    I have to be honest, going on the history of FAS, ANCO and Manpower who all tried similar schemes, this comes as no surprise.
    Tesco Inc should be ashamed of themselves - but they won't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Dangerous Man

SeaFields wrote: »
    The scheme rather than the company should be the aim of any campaign in my opinion.

Your opinion is wrong; Tesco are taking advantage of the campaign to help people gain valuable experience in the workplace to grab unpaid labour. I don't think that the campaign is worth a crap to be honest but Tesco's behaviour is frankly appalling. I am staggered by this. If no one here gives a shit I'll b disappointed. I'm already putting feelers out to see what can done against these bastards.

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY that shops in Tesco this weekend knowing what's happening, is a moron.

• Advertisement

Anybody, and I mean ANYBODY that shops in Tesco this weekend knowing what's happening, is a moron.

I stopped using Supervalu after they did the same thing with WPP

I do not know if Job-bridge replaces WPP, not sure

But Tesco are getting added to the list

Advertisement