Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cleared out Kate's Wardrobe :'(

Options
  • 14-09-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭

I took a step today...
    I did something that even a few months ago I would have found impossible,
    even a few weeks ago I think.
    4 years,5months and 28days after I lost her.
    4years and 6months to day since she collapsed...
    Strange how that number is still constantly calculated in my mind....
    I never need to think about how long, if someone asks me..
    Its like uour death was my year zero!
    I cleared out and boxed up my late Wife's wardrobe contents...

The last time I tried putting anything she owned away, it was some laundry that had been there since you collapsed....
    It took me 4 months to get around to psyching myself upto putting those few pieces in the wardrobe..
    I broke down, I vomited....
    Because I knew the next time they'd come out of the wardrobe, was when I was giving them away....Or putting them away!
    Today in other words!
    But slowly the realisation has dawned on me that it doesn't matter how much I love her, She's never coming home :(
    And living in our past, its great :) But its not good is it?
    I need to know I can move on, and having you still in our bedroom isn't going to help that.

I had asked her sister, and my sisters to call over.....
    To take anything they wanted...
    In the hope I think that everything would evaporate away.
    But I think they were as apprehensive about it being another goodbye as I am :( So they never came....
    I hoped they would...that then I wouldn't have to sort through her clothes...
    Remembering when she wore this top, or that dress,
    Putting my face into the fabric and trying to catch some remnant of her scent.
    And maybe even getting a little bit mad at all the stuff thats in there with tags still on....
    Stuff she'd bought in advance for events we'd planned,
    Days we had everything arranged for and we never had :(....

There are some things, that I didn't box up....I moved them into mine ;)
    Because, I love the memory of her in them and they remind me of our happiest days.
    The dress she wore at her 21st.....
    The outfit she wore when our Son was christened...
    And the dress she wore at Ant + Ali's wedding.
    When everyone looked at you and knew I was the luckiest man there ;) Including the groom :P
    I boxed up everything else tho and I'll keep it close ;)
    I still can't believe how many pairs of shoes, Belts and Handbags there are!
    I miss telling you slow down....The credit card has a limit, not a target ;)

I don't really know why I posted this....
    Other than this was something I never thought I could do...
    I'm terrified by what this moving on means, But I'm still the man she made me and its time for the next step on my journey I suppose...
    Thanks for listening!
    Bryan

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

Bryan,

Sometimes you just stumble across threads , and they just absolutely take your breath away with the power and emotion in it.
    I'm really sorry for you loss. I can only imagine how hard a step you have just taken if it has taken 4 years to do it. Well done and take care

• Registered Users Posts: 10,635 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

banie01 wrote: »
    I took a step today...

The last time I tried putting anything she owned away, it was some laundry that had been there since you collapsed....
    It took me 4 months to get around to psyching myself upto putting those few pieces in the wardrobe..
    Because I knew the next time they'd come out of the wardrobe, was when I was giving them away....Or putting them away!
    Today in other words!
    But slowly the realisation has dawned on me that it doesn't matter how much I love her, She's never coming home :(
    I need to know I can move on, and having you still in our bedroom isn't going to help that.

But I think they were as apprehensive about it being another goodbye as I am :( So they never came....
    And maybe even getting a little bit mad at all the stuff thats in there with tags still on....

Because, I love the memory of her in them and they remind me of our happiest days.
    When everyone looked at you and knew I was the luckiest man there ;) Including the groom :P

I'm terrified by what this moving on means, But I'm still the man she made me and its time for the next step on my journey I suppose...
    Thanks for listening!
    Bryan

Nice post, Bryan. I wish I could put my thoughts down like that!? :rolleyes:

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,060 ✭✭✭✭beertons

That's lovely man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,245 ✭✭✭psycho-hope

I took a step today...

Today in other words!

Thanks for listening!
    Bryan

Bryan, i dont normally post in here but your thread caught my eye, im sure your wife is so proud of you for taking such a big step.
    Take care of yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭axel rose

Sorry that you had to do that Bryan.
    I packed up my husbands clothes as I was moving house and it had to be done. I had to abandon it as I couldn't stop crying. Still to this day I forget that I have all of the drawers to fill with clothes. Either I'll be cramming tops into one drawer and I'll realise that I have other drawers that are empty-or I'll be looking all over the house for a particular top and then remember that it's in one of his drawers. Like you I kept some of his things and wear some of his tops and hoodies around the house when I want something big and snuggley. (I'm not sure if you could carry that off though).

Trading in his car was tough, his friends called it his handbag :D! In fact I sold mine and drove his for a while but it was in bits.

I still have his CDs in the living room- he was a lovely husband but his taste in music was........interesting......:o. I like having the furniture that we chose together in the old house around me. I hate the idea of having to replace it in the future.

Well done Bryan, what you did wasn't easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,480 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Thanks for the support and good wishes folks...
    Now that its boxed up, its time to sort out donating it somewhere!
    Might as well try and make some good of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭kelle

Oh, Bryan, I am hysterical in tears reading your OP. I am so, so sorry for your terrible loss. You have done so well to have carried out that step.

After 6 years and 7 months, I still can't go near my parents bedroom to do the same with their stuff. Someday....

What age was Kate, Bryan? And how old is your son?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

That's lovely, Bryan. Fair play to you for taking that difficult step and also for keeping the things with happy memories attached to them :)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Kablamo!

Thanks for the support and good wishes folks...
    Now that its boxed up, its time to sort out donating it somewhere!
    Might as well try and make some good of it.

It took me two years to clean out my fathers room, and I donated 3 VANS, yes, VANS, full of stuff to SVP, and the Irish Cancer Society.
    It took a lot of the sting out of it to know that even though he can't use that stuff anymore, and he's gone, he's still in a way, out there, helping others.
    And part of me is really hoping one day I'll see someone in one of his jumpers or hats, be like him saying hello to me :o

• Advertisement

kelle wrote: »
    What age was Kate, Bryan? And how old is your son?

Kate was 26 when she died, much too young.....But we had over 11 great years together so I have plenty of happy memories to get me through the times when darkness creeps in, so I focus on those rather than whats lost!
    And our son is 7 and a half now.
    And thanks for the lovely post....
    You'll know when you are ready to face the room in your own time I hope.
    WindSock wrote: »
    That's lovely, Bryan. Fair play to you for taking that difficult step and also for keeping the things with happy memories attached to them :)

Thanks Windsock, I kept them cos they spark great memories, and I'm hoping when my son is older he'll appreciate them as another tangible link to his Mam, aswell as her jewellery, our letters and keepsakes, and the stories we all(Family and Friends) still tell about her....

Kablamo! wrote: »
    It took me two years to clean out my fathers room, and I donated 3 VANS, yes, VANS, full of stuff to SVP, and the Irish Cancer Society.
    It took a lot of the sting out of it to know that even though he can't use that stuff anymore, and he's gone, he's still in a way, out there, helping others.
    And part of me is really hoping one day I'll see someone in one of his jumpers or hats, be like him saying hello to me :o

Well done Kablamo!
    For a long time after Kate died.
    I felt really possesive and selfish about her things.
    Its childish of me, but after she died we donated her organs and I felt like I'd already given enough of her away, silly I know!
    But grief makes your mind work in a fairly irrational way ;)
    It seems silly but I felt that by keeping the stuff.....
    I was keeping part of her close to me, and it was a big safety blanket for me until now..
    I hope you see that jumper someday Kablamo!

Thanks again for the support folks!
    Its mad how I can vent this to Boards......Its very cathartic!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

Beautiful post Bryan - I seldom come here. Both my parents died years ago, so I have experienced grief and how all-consuming it can be. Your words are wonderful and I hope that moving Kates clothes will help you in some small way:)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭squishykins

I took a step today...

Today in other words!

Thanks for listening!
    Bryan

Hi Bryan,

I wish I could thank this a million more time, I've been sitting here for half an hour in tears. I'm a couple of years behind you, started going out with my boyfriend when I was 15, 19 now. I pulled a strop with him earlier when he went out of his way to give me a lift home and all I can think now is, what if he had been in an accident on his way back? You've really opened my eyes, thank you a million billion times over :)

I'm doing a crazy thing in November - I'm going to Australia for one week (I couldn't be away from the children any longer)! My dear uncle is out there, he has attempted to come to Ireland twice since Dad (his brother) died, but I know deep down he feels he has nothing to come home for as Dad was his anchor here - except to visit his grave.

I'm planning on bringing a few of Dad's things over to him. It might help him, I hope it does.

Mum died 4 weeks after Dad, she LOVED clothes (her last credit card bill was from 3 different boutiques, she never got to wear those clothes :( ) and I can't bear to get rid of them. Her sisters say they would love some of her clothes but don't feel ready yet.

I feel it's so unfair because they had so much living to do, they were only grandparents for a short while and felt it so cruel that their lives were being cut short just when they were starting to enjoy living.

But then I read about your dear wife, Bryan and realise at least my parents got to see us grow up and become independent - becoming grandparents was a bonus. Kate was denied that.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 tupoftea

Bryan your post was beautifully written and has touched me.
    I am very sorry for your loss.

I definitely understand how clothes and possessions can give comfort and give you that tangible link to a person you loved.

My dad passed away in 2004 and I have just a few things, a pair of his socks which I wear when I need support or confidence boost to do something, a black tie which my husband wears on occassion and a clock which I can picture him winding in my minds eye and now I wind too:) All offer peace, comfort and above all remind you of the person you loved.

Its so nice that you kept some things for your son. I lost one of my twins earlier this year and I have kept a boxful of memories of a short little life that was his brother that hopefully we will go through and smile and cry at together when he is older.

Loss is profound. Take care and enjoy your little man he will be the daily reminder of your lovely wife, your true link to her always, as my son is to his beloved brother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭LeeHoffmann

Hi Bryan/Banie,

I've only posted once before in this forum -in the 'tell us about them' thread. I wrote about my Dad who died just over two years ago now. I remember your kind response, which comforted me - it was totally unexpected. I only hope, at some point, I can comfort you or someone like you in a similar way. (I don't expect you to remember btw!)

My losing my Dad is not the same as you losing your Kate. I can only talk from my own experience but I hope that I don't seem like I'm making comparisons where there are none. Now...like many other posters, I too understand the desire and need to hold on (literally and figuratively) to clothes and other tangible objects of your loved one. My Mum died years ago and I know my Dad found it heartbreaking to donate her clothes (to a local charity shop) so years later, he warned his wife (my stepmother) not to keep his things. A few weeks or months after he died, she asked people to take some of his clothes etc. if they wanted to. I took a small pile of his rugby jerseys because when I look at them, I can see him. I see him getting ready to go to a match in Lansdowne road; cleaning the house; hanging around the house and those memories make me smile even now as I write this. Anyway, these jumpers are in a neatly arranged pile on a particular sofa in my house that he liked to lie on. I move them from the sofa to the chair several times every day as people need somehwere to sit etc. It's impractical to keep them there but two years later, I still haven't put them away into a cupboard or wardrobe. I 'hug' them at night - that makes me feel like a bit of a sad case (in a jokey way) - I know my Dad would laugh at me and call me a 'spa' for that!!!

Well done to you for starting this huge emotional task. Do whatever you feel is best Bryan because that is what's best. I think in years to come, I will be able to keep these clothes in a more practical place and take them out every so often to 'connect' in a physical way. I also imagine being able to give them to a son or daughter in years to come to help them to connect with the grandad they will never know - and who was really looking forward to meeting them.

It's clear to everyone who has read your post(s) that Kate was a lucky woman to have been loved so much by you, and also that she was very special to have inspired such admiration and love. I'm sure she would be so proud of you for the way you're raising your&her son and for how you're managing to keep going and trying to be positive and give yourself and your son a good life, while always remembering her and keeping her memory alive.

Know that you are in the thoughts of many people - even many strangers. Our hearts go out to you Bryan. I wish you and your son only the very best for the future, and pray that you continue to see Kate in him as he grows.

Hi Bryan/Banie,

I've only posted once before in this forum -in the 'tell us about them' thread. I wrote about my Dad who died just over two years ago now. I remember your kind response, which comforted me - it was totally unexpected. I only hope, at some point, I can comfort you or someone like you in a similar way. (I don't expect you to remember btw!)

Lee, Thank you so much for the kind words :)
    And of course i remember the post, and after your post here.....
    I'm even more certain now than I was then that your Dad is looking down on you as a very very proud man!

It means a lot to know that anything I've said here on boards has been of any help at all to someone.....
    Because silly as it may seem, the anonymous little vent for my emotion that I've found often here ;)
    Has been of great help to me in getting myself back to some kind of normality.
    Where i can accept my loss and move on, rather than wailing in despair about the unfairness of it all!
    Which I did for all too long,holding everything in and trying to'be strong'....
    I've learned that strength is accepting that you're never as strong as you think...
    That its ok to need help, and that knowing that even if you don't.... people are there who will try if you ask...
    It helps me to remember that when those thoughts of loneliness and isolation creep in....
    That you never really are!
    I'm exceptionally lucky to have great family and friends support around me, but even here on boards.ie...
    Manys a time the typed thoughts of a stranger here have given me a new perspective, a bit of renewed hope and a smile!
    Much as you've just done ;)
    Thank you.
    Know that you are in the thoughts of many people - even many strangers. Our hearts go out to you Bryan. I wish you and your son only the very best for the future, and pray that you continue to see Kate in him as he grows.

Thanks again for the kind words Lee, the support, advice and good wishes from so many on here has been a great help to me through all this.
    Its funny you should mention continuing to see kKate in him as he grows....
    Luckily for him its a trait that only seems to be getting stronger!(And if he ends up with my height and her looks he'll be a heartbreaker ;) lol)
    I'm just in middle of uploading some pics of our trip to Dublin to see Batman live....
    And as I read that part of your post, I'm looking at a pic of our son....and he looks so like his mam I had to double take :)
    And of course he has her cheeky impish manner too ;)...

He's a dangerous combination though cute and smartassed ;), we were at the O2 for Batman live this weekend, and this 30something dude sits near us in a Superman tshirt, and we start chatting...
    So Josh asks him why he wore a Superman tshirt to a Batman show...
    Dude says I like comics and sure they are both DC(thinking that was enough logic to shut up a 7y.o)
    Josh looks him up and down and says so's Wonderwoman....
    Are you wearing her knickers too???
    The poor dude had his mates and half the audience laughing at him all night!

And as much as I know I should have pulled josh up on being lippy.....It reminded so much of things his Mam had done in the past....
    I just left it slide and took it as a sign she was enjoying our trip too ;)
    He is a happy and content child who looks after me as much as i do him, and I hope he carries on the way he is going because I'm already very proud of the little man his become.

I really pushed for this forum when the suggestion was originally made. I really thought it would be something I used on a regular basis. But I think this is the first time I've posted.

Your original post made me cry. Cry like I haven't been able to cry in a while. Cry out loud like my heart had just been broken in half again. Thank you for that. I needed it. My eyes hurt and my face is blotchy and wet, and yet it feels nice.

I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely Kate. It must have been so hard. You have been so brave and I am so glad that this forum was here for you to share your feelings with us. I am honoured to have read your posts.

Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,389 ✭✭✭mattjack

Lovely post.Lost someone close myself recently.Still struggling.

I really pushed for this forum when the suggestion was originally made. I really thought it would be something I used on a regular basis. But I think this is the first time I've posted.

Your original post made me cry. Cry like I haven't been able to cry in a while. Cry out loud like my heart had just been broken in half again. Thank you for that. I needed it. My eyes hurt and my face is blotchy and wet, and yet it feels nice.

I am so sorry for the loss of your lovely Kate. It must have been so hard. You have been so brave and I am so glad that this forum was here for you to share your feelings with us. I am honoured to have read your posts.

Thank you.

Whoopsie, I remember yourself, AxelRose and a few others really pushing hard for this forum....
    A lot of us who have the misfortune to post here,owe a debt of gratitude to those of ye who pushed for this forum.....
    It has been a great help to me to unload myself here over the last while....
    And the chance to share experience and help others in similar situations has helped many more than just myself..
    mattjack wrote: »
    Lovely post.Lost someone close myself recently.Still struggling.

Matt I'm sorry for your loss, and for your struggle....
    If you need to talk, this is the place!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

thanks for that brian, it is so true of how we all feel, you put it in words exactily what goes through the minds of all when it comes to losing someone dear, i had to do same with my mothers clothing, i felt awful at the time, but it thought me one thing, it brought home a reality, i only buy what i need since then, i dont impulse buy anymore, she loved her things, and even her beautiful delph, we still have not removed that from the display cabinet, and this is 12 yrs later,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,576 ✭✭✭Coeurdepirate

I've never read such a powerful thread before, your story is quite heartbreaking.

goat2 wrote: »
    thanks for that brian, it is so true of how we all feel, you put it in words exactily what goes through the minds of all when it comes to losing someone dear, i had to do same with my mothers clothing, i felt awful at the time, but it thought me one thing, it brought home a reality, i only buy what i need since then, i dont impulse buy anymore, she loved her things, and even her beautiful delph, we still have not removed that from the display cabinet, and this is 12 yrs later,

Your welcome Goat, and thanks for the kind words.
    I've never read such a powerful thread before, your story is quite heartbreaking.

Thanks for the words.

Advertisement