Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteering while on social welfare

Options
  • 12-09-2011 10:36am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi,

Is there any advantage, or even any point, in teeling the social welfare that you're volunteering? There is a form (isn' there always) that your volunteer group are supposed to fill out.

I think volunteering is very important and I think that giving people on welfare something worthwhile to do is also very important. I think most potential volunteers would be put off by the idea of approaching social welfare and telling them that they are volunteering. Why do they need to know? Who can afford to volunteer and survive on welfare and pass up the chance of a paid job if its offered? what is the purpose of this requirement to register?

Surely the best thing to do is to volunteer and tell the social welfare nothing...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I imagine there would be two reasons...

Mainly to stop people taking a paid position in cash, then claiming to be "Volunteers" if caught. If there is a requirement to register it means that such a defense is ruled out.

Secondly there are some people who give so much time to their voluntary work that it precludes them from seeking paid full time work. Understandably the state would not want to facilitate these "accidental" staff for charities, courtesy of the state.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 Gardoggle

two good reasons but i wonder what percentage of volunteers would actually fall into those categories?
    most volunteers probably arent even aware of the requirement to register and wouldnt bother doing anything about it even if they did.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,635 ✭✭✭TylerIE

I know a few people who would be / are in either position.

Some in the first position do a lot of little "cash jobs" e.g. for elderly people or for community groups. If caught they will feign ignorance and say that they were helping the neighbour / athletic club / parish hall / etc.

People in the second are unusual... some dont want the 9-5 being stuck working, some cant get work in an area that interests them, some are waiting for relevant jobs and wont look at jobs outside their area, some have very noble reasons in wanting to help charity, some are lazy.
    I know a few in this category also, and for the most part their intentions are noble, but misguided...

What % of volunteers? Very few Im sure. What % of volunteers who are on social welfare? I dont know.

Personally I think it should be almost compulsory for those on Jobseekers *Allowance* to do some volunteering as UK research showed it was better for people to do some form of work rather than waiting idly at home.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭star gazer

Better safe than sorry.
    For anyone who is interested the volunteer.ie website has useful information on this.
    social welfare requirements

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭ms.sunnyb

Does anyone know to volunteer, does it have to be with a charity organisation or can I volunteer with a say an IT company that does paid work for volunteer charities?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 LostGirl88

Even if this is an old form, you can Volunteer and be unemployed at the same time.
    You fill out a form and your Charity fills in a few bits, and it's just kept on record.
    The Charity just has to know if you get offered a job, you're going to take it, and it's not getting in the way of that.

Advertisement