Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Board's TV Straw Poll: Saorview (Digital TV)

• 10-09-2011 1:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭

Hey just a quick straw poll of Board's users.

1. I current have access to Saorview (on any TV in your Home)
    2. I have no interest in Saorview
    3. I am waiting for Saorview STB to reduce in price
    4. I will wait until all Analogue services end
    5. Before this poll I did not know anything about Saorview

Thanks

Saorview Take Up 84 votes

1. I current have access to Saorview (on any TV in your Home)
    0% 0 votes
    53% 45 votes
    3. I am waiting for Saorview STB to reduce in price
    30% 26 votes
    4. I will wait until all Terrestrial TV Analogue signals end
    7% 6 votes
    5. Before this poll I did not know anything about Saorview
    8% 7 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

go on vote :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

I have no idea if I have saorview, I have UPC on all my TVs

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

This is a terrible Poll!!!!!!...no Atari Jaguar???????????

Thread Fail

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

I have Sky so no interest in Saorview for the time being.

This is a terrible Poll!!!!!!...no Atari Jaguar???????????

Thread Fail

:confused:
    I have no idea if I have saorview, I have UPC on all my TVs

Unlikely, unless you have an MPEG4 TV (a saorview approved TV).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭rlogue

How about a "I'm in England none of the above apply" option??:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

Elmo wrote: »
    :confused:
    Unlikely, unless you have an MPEG4 TV (a saorview approved TV).
    Out of curiosity I checked earlier, one TV is set up for saorview. I honestly have no idea what that actually means though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I'm much more interested in Saorsat tbh. Dual tuner of that and the English FTA would be good.

The problem is there are no channels on Saorsat or Saorview.

phasers wrote: »
    Out of curiosity I checked earlier, one TV is set up for saorview. I honestly have no idea what that actually means though.

The option in the poll for you is Number 5. Before this poll I did not know anything about Saorview.

While you do have the ability to have saorview on your TV you do not use that facility, therefore you should not use option Number 1. I current have access to Saorview (on any TV in your Home). As you have not setup the TV for Saorview. No choose option 1, why not?

Bet this complicates the poll even further :(

I blame Richard for all this, every feckin' time. :D
    I'm much more interested in Saorsat tbh. Dual tuner of that and the English FTA would be good.

AFAIK with "Saorsat" you have the ability to get Irish and UK channels, however it is a special satellite dish that you need? TV3 is not available on "Saorsat". TG4 might be not sure.

And there are channels on Saorview.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

Good idea for a poll, Elmo.. but I think you should call it "Digital Terrestrial Television" as opposed to Saorview, who are a private company..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

At the moment we've UPC Basic and thinking of getting rid.

Want to get the UK Freesat + Saorview though, and it's a bit of an expensive outlay tbh, looking at all the options.

Also, any websites offering the service of installing and setting up the thing are riddled with spelling mistakes, which makes me wary of actually shelling out to these people. This may seem stupid, but there's no way I'd pay money to someone who doesn't even seem to care what their online presence looks like, I mean what kind of work will they carry out for me.

I'd ideally love to buy the gear myself and set it up, but I just haven't the time.

If anyone feels like PMing me a recommendation, please do, because it's something I'd like to get set up and running as soon as possible, cheers!

Good idea for a poll, Elmo.. but I think you should call it "Digital Terrestrial Television" as opposed to Saorview, who are a private company..

Saorview as it is the name most people will now know DTT as.
    Also, any websites offering the service of installing and setting up the thing are riddled with spelling mistakes, which makes me wary of actually shelling out to these people. This may seem stupid, but there's no way I'd pay money to someone who doesn't even seem to care what their online presence looks like, I mean what kind of work will they carry out for me.

I'd ideally love to buy the gear myself and set it up, but I just haven't the time.

If anyone feels like PMing me a recommendation, please do, because it's something I'd like to get set up and running as soon as possible, cheers!

Check out the boards forum (Cable / Digital TV) and ask for advice from people there:-

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=40

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

We got a TV about two years ago and I think it was pretty much at the end of its life but it picks up both Freeview and Saorview. Though I suppose now that Saorview has been standardised it's given manufacturers an excuse to remove features. :pac:

amacachi wrote: »
    We got a TV about two years ago and I think it was pretty much at the end of its life but it picks up both Freeview and Saorview. Though I suppose now that Saorview has been standardised it's given manufacturers an excuse to remove features. :pac:

Your in a spillover area, a Saorview TV will pick up Freeview in spillover areas.

For everyone else they will need either payTV or FreeSat to gain access to the UK channels.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

There is no such company as "Saorview", as a quick search at www.cro.ie will tell you. It is only a brand which is owned by RTÉ.
    At the moment we've UPC Basic and thinking of getting rid.

Want to get the UK Freesat + Saorview though, and it's a bit of an expensive outlay tbh, looking at all the options.

The "Free" refers to ongoing costs. There's a substantial initial cost - and you will not have much change from €600 if you're going from a UPC set up (which most houses don't even have a roof top aerial, never mind a satellite dish). That'll buy you about two years of UPC's most basic digital package.
    Elmo wrote:
    AFAIK with "Saorsat" you have the ability to get Irish and UK channels, however it is a special satellite dish that you need? TV3 is not available on "Saorsat". TG4 might be not sure.

Saorsat is not launched yet. You would need a motorised dish (and two LNBs) to get both Saorsat and Freesat. Saorsat itself will just be a mirror of Saorview - it might not even have either 3e or TV3 so it may be even less useful than Saorview. The sceptic in me says that it has been concieved simply as a cheaper way for RTÉ to meet its universal service obligation and I'm not sure its actually intended for anyone to actually install it...

icdg wrote: »
    Saorsat is not launched yet. You would need a motorised dish (and two LNBs) to get both Saorsat and Freesat. Saorsat itself will just be a mirror of Saorview - it might not even have either 3e or TV3 so it may be even less useful than Saorview. The sceptic in me says that it has been concieved simply as a cheaper way for RTÉ to meet its universal service obligation and I'm not sure its actually intended for anyone to actually install it...

QSat are using Saorsat for Irish Channels as far as I know, are the UK channel not also available on the same satellite as Saorsat covering the UK and Ireland?????

We should warn people against QSat TBH.

http://qsat.ie/television/

Anyway a discussion for another thread perhaps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

Nope. Freesat is on Astra 2D at 28.2 degrees east. Saorsat on KA-SAT at 9 degrees east.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

My Mam bought a new TV this year after the tube in the old one went. She never really went out specifically to buy a saorview TV but we got one. Not that I watch it anyway tbh

icdg wrote: »
    Nope. Freesat is on Astra 2D at 28.2 degrees east. Saorsat on KA-SAT at 9 degrees east.

Are there not a set of UK channels on KA-SAT?
    meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    My Mam bought a new TV this year after the tube in the old one went. She never really went out specifically to buy a saorview TV but we got one. Not that I watch it anyway tbh

Does your mother use Saorview as the TV service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

Are there not a set of UK channels on KA-SAT?

Does your mother use Saorview as the TV service?

Yep she does, just plugged it in and away it goes, I am assuming it's coming trough the sky satellite?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

parents don't have Saorview approved tvs. One in kitchen is ancient (as old as me, almost) but it's on its last legs now so that'll be replaced soon. probably just get a STB for the sitting room tv since it's not really used anymore.

have no idea about the aerial in the attic. *might* be compatible but i think we'll be getting a new roof aerial just for convenience.

getting UPC in the house i'm renting for college, but there's no STB or tv provided in the house.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,382 ✭✭✭✭greendom

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    Yep she does, just plugged it in and away it goes, I am assuming it's coming trough the sky satellite?

No Soarview is a terrestrial service and needs an aerial.

parents don't have Saorview approved tvs. One in kitchen is ancient (as old as me, almost) but it's on its last legs now so that'll be replaced soon. probably just get a STB for the sitting room tv since it's not really used anymore.

have no idea about the aerial in the attic. *might* be compatible but i think we'll be getting a new roof aerial just for convenience.

getting UPC in the house i'm renting for college, but there's no STB or tv provided in the house.

If you have TV3 and TG4 the aerial will pick up Saorview.

Does your house have a bill with UPC? Likely that its just their analogue service with no bill, which often happens in Student houses.

@meoklmrk91 if the TV has a Sky or Satellite STB attached to it then she gets her TV from a satellite.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,924 ✭✭✭✭RolandIRL

If you have TV3 and TG4 the aerial will pick up Saorview.

Does your house have a bill with UPC? Likely that its just their analogue service with no bill, which often happens in Student houses.
    Home can pick up TV3 and TG4 but they're shíte signals, suppose that won't matter now with digital. we either get it or we don't.

Regarding the UPC, I meant to say we're ordering the Digital TV + Broadband so don't have to worry about Saorview:) I have no idea what the house can get by itself. I only just moved in last week

Home can pick up TV3 and TG4 but they're shíte signals, suppose that won't matter now with digital. we either get it or we don't.

Regarding the UPC, I meant to say we're ordering the Digital TV + Broadband so don't have to worry about Saorview:) I have no idea what the house can get by itself. I only just moved in last week

As long as home picks up TV3 and TG4, doesn't matter how bad the signal.

As you are ordering the Digital TV and Broadband from UPC you won't need to worry about the STB or Cable Modem/Wireless Router however you will need a TV and a Computer :) UPC Broadband is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

The option in the poll for you is Number 5. Before this poll I did not know anything about Saorview.

While you do have the ability to have saorview on your TV you do not use that facility, therefore you should not use option Number 1. I current have access to Saorview (on any TV in your Home). As you have not setup the TV for Saorview. No choose option 1, why not?

Bet this complicates the poll even further :(

I blame Richard for all this, every feckin' time. :D

And there are channels on Saorview.
    In fairness, I'd hardly call 9 channels including a +1 channel and Aertel a lot of channels :P

In fairness, I'd hardly call 9 channels including a +1 channel and Aertel a lot of channels :P

In fairness, i didn't say "a lot of channels".

Advertisement