Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Am I an Ironman?

Options
  • 05-09-2011 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

I completed Ironman Ireland yesterday, under 7:30.. still waiting on the results.

With the swim being cut short to 750m I am not sure if I can now call myself an Ironman or not. I think the bad weather on the cycle made it tougher than most so maybe it cancels out.

I am also looking to get a tattoo to remember my achievement, can anyone recommend a place around Dublin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Absolutely...

Ironman 69.5854 has a unique ring to it!

The extra digits will cost you a bit more on the tat front though....

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭Sport101

Do the tattoo yourself with a sharp knife, that's what an Ironman would do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

Lods of places round town. Jonny Eagles on the corner of o'Connell street and the quays for one.

Have a look here for inspiration

• Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭griffin100

I eat a lot of McDonalds.......I'm thinking of getting their logo tattooed on my rather large gut as a tribute. I'm a big fan of corporate logos :)

The trolls are out in force on this particular race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

With the swim being cut short to 750m I am not sure if I can now call myself an Ironman or not.

Surely the bigger problem is that yesterday was a Half Ironman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

Of course you can call yourself an Ironman having completed a half ironman. Like you say "I climbed Everest" when you went to the lowest base camp or you book a half day from work your boss says "take a full day its the exact same". half = full

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

I am also looking to get a tattoo to remember my achievement, can anyone recommend a place around Dublin?

Snakebite on Middle Abbey Street have a good reputation. You should get a decent price too since u'll only be needing half a tattoo:D;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,902 ✭✭✭woody1

yeah youre a half ironman...sorry...get half the logo...

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭happygoose

..."So I see you're an Ironman?"...

..."Well, not quite"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭pistol_75

Bit like people thinking they have done a marathon when they have done a 10K race.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

pistol_75 wrote: »
    Bit like people thinking they have done a marathon when they have done a 10K race.

or a half marathon maybe?
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Keedowah

Dont you mean a "mini marathon" ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

But on the website it is referred to as Ironman Ireland and not half-Ironman Ireland?;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,961 ✭✭✭Genghis

But on the website it is referred to as Ironman Ireland and not half-Ironman Ireland?;)

On the website it is referred to as Ironman 70.3 Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 517 ✭✭✭Ironman76

Izoard wrote: »
    Absolutely...

Ironman 69.5854 has a unique ring to it!

The extra digits will cost you a bit more on the tat front though....

Trust me, Ironman76 isnt all its cracked up to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

I completed Ironman Ireland yesterday, under 7:30.. still waiting on the results.

With the swim being cut short to 750m I am not sure if I can now call myself an Ironman or not. I think the bad weather on the cycle made it tougher than most so maybe it cancels out.

Of course you are an ironman.

Come June every year 1000's of women run the "marathon" so why can't you be an irobman?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

NO you are NOT!

But you can call yourself Megaman, Ironman or Superman for all anyone cares :rolleyes: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobblehead_jr

Cheers guys, so you don't think the shortened swim takes away from the achievment at all?

I was so glad to cross the line and hear "You are an Ironman" and it was only today that I began to question it with the short course.

Tattoo wise I am thinking of something like below but with an Irish flag of course.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Someone retweeted Keith Duffy stating he was an Ironman yesterday. I almost felt bad telling him he wasn't. :mad:

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers guys, so you don't think the shortened swim takes away from the achievment at all?

I was so glad to cross the line and hear "You are an Ironman" and it was only today that I began to question it with the short course.

Tattoo wise I am thinking of something like below but with an Irish flag of course.

You should get it with the American flag.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭ElectraX

If you're going for a crazed musclehead Republican look, that'll do it alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭pmcd22

some people just have so much crap to say, no wonder there posts are up so high. Giving him negitive comments after he completed a half Ironman and saying its not an Ironman..

Yes it is an Ironman, Its Ironman 70.3. Just because its not a full ironman doesn't mean that the title has to exclude the word Ironman.

Already a thread going around about the mini marathon/half marathon to marathon.. What ever way people want to refer to the race, let them off..

Anyways back to the question being asked. Sure it wasn't your fault the course was changed. You did your Ironman, Get your tattoo where ever ya want, just make sure to leave room for the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,454 ✭✭✭hf4z6sqo7vjngi

I would not spend money on a tatoo when you can do a DIY job on it. Here is an artists impression of what i got done, i think it works very well and people can see straight away that i am the real deal and hard as nails!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,983 ✭✭✭TheRoadRunner

You are a miniIronman or an Irondwarf which ever you like the sound of most yourself.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

If you won a Leinster Title would you go around saying you won the All-Ireland

A half ironman is a great achievement (as is winning a Leinster title).
    However, you open yourself to ridicule if you call yourself an Ironman without doing the whole deal.
    ...and even more so if you get the tat!

But we do live in a democracy and you are free to do what you like!

• Registered Users Posts: 17 bobblehead_jr

Its okay, I had mailed the organisers this morning to confirm it... didn't expect such a speedy responce but they have now mailed me back and said yes.

Did anyone recieve a cert yesterday after the race? Something like this:

http://www.astroross.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/cert.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭scholar007

pmcd22 wrote: »
    some people just have so much crap to say, no wonder there posts are up so high. Giving him negitive comments after he completed a half Ironman and saying its not an Ironman..

Yes it is an Ironman, Its Ironman 70.3. Just because its not a full ironman doesn't mean that the title has to exclude the word Ironman.

Already a thread going around about the mini marathon/half marathon to marathon.. What ever way people want to refer to the race, let them off..

Anyways back to the question being asked. Sure it wasn't your fault the course was changed. You did your Ironman, Get your tattoo where ever ya want, just make sure to leave room for the next one.

Tinman maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Seems the kudos for saying (or displaying in this case) you are an Ironman seems to be more important that the participation, not surprising when most people who take part are more interested in how much the Oakleys or the wet suit cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Izoard

Seems the kudos for saying (or displaying in this case) you are an Ironman seems to be more important that the participation, not surprising when most people who take part are more interested in how much the Oakleys or the wet suit cost.

Of course...Any fool can do an IM - the real trick is to look great on the way around - now, where did I put those lovely white tyres to go with my unobtanium white frame...?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

I think ironman 69 has a nice ring to it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement