Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clare Duignan head of RTE RADIO

Options
  • 03-09-2011 7:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭

This woman has made a mess of RTE radio, Anna leddy and John Clarke resigned because of her going above their heads, She undid most of anna leddys 2006 changes at radio 1, She undid all of jcs 2007 changes to 2fm, She put marty whelan on Lyric fm because he is a friend of hers, She got John mcmahon to fire nikki hayes, I dislike her.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

Donahg wrote: »
    This woman has made a mess of RTE radio, Anna leddy and John Clarke resigned because of her going above their heads, She undid most of anna leddys 2006 changes at radio 1, She undid all of jcs 2007 changes to 2fm, She put marty whelan on Lyric fm because he is a friend of hers, She got John mcmahon to fire nikki hayes, I dislike her.

Any vested interest to declare........;)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

Don't know the first thing about her but RTE1 has definitely gone to hell in a handbag :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,728 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Callan57 wrote: »
    Don't know the first thing about her but RTE1 has definitely gone to hell in a handbag :mad:
    One way ticket to Dumbsville.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,644 ✭✭✭Infoanon

RTE Radio 1 have cancelled 'saturday view' - the very popular news programme from 1 to 2 pm on a Saturday,they are to replace it with a new comedy show - possible names include 'scrap saturday'

Tells you everything you need to know about the direction RTE Radio is going in - an unbelievabe decision, and as for RTE 2 FM - can its listenership fall any further......a very sad state of affairs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭heybaby

Only when rte radio are forced to drive their income solely from advertising revenue and not benefit from alternative sources of income, will they have to take a serious look at their remit. If rte radio was a commercial radio station reliant only on ad revenue to survive , it would have gone out of business years ago. Instead they have the best of both worlds. enjoying commercial revenue and government funding which only serves in luxuriating successive radio heads' personal whims.

Secondly, remove the talk content from 2FM once and for all. Tubs talking followed by hayes talking while over on radio 1 you have john murray talking followed by PK talking... its too much bloody talking in the morning.. 2FM is either a music station or it isnt, you cant have it both ways.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

heybaby wrote: »
    Secondly, remove the talk content from 2FM once and for all. Tubs talking followed by hayes talking while over on radio 1 you have john murray talking followed by PK talking... its too much bloody talking in the morning.. 2FM is either a music station or it isnt, you cant have it both ways.

Always thought that but never understood it.:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

Infoanon wrote: »
    RTE Radio 1 have cancelled 'saturday view' - the very popular news programme from 1 to 2 pm on a Saturday,they are to replace it with a new comedy show - possible names include 'scrap saturday'

Thats a real shame, when was this announced? thats a real step backwards.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

I think that Marty is an excellent addition and leavening in Lyric FM, giving people a real and substantial alternative to Scary Radio One, and bringing an intelligent, compassionate and witty eye to bear on the issues that really matter to people. He combines his easy competence in the studio with a deep and comprehensive understanding of the music that people actually like to hear at the start of their day. The days he is away from his show, one might imagine that a coup d'etat had taken place, to hear the lugubrious and dreary heavy classical music that they mistakenly put on; Wagner and Brahms at 7.30 in the morning are too much for anyone in this timezone. It's more of John Barry's music, and of Rod Stewart's singing, and of young Neven Maguire's inspiring recipes that the nation needs. And what other presenter would be able to secure the generosity of Neven going on to an audio feed each and every Friday from wherever he is around the globe, or to get the young soprano Renee Fleming to expose herself to his gentle but searching questioning, or to have the superstar Martin Hayes drive from Feakle to Limerick to be interviewed on a wet Wednesday morning? The worry for the listenership, of course, is that Marty will be snapped up by another station, or rescheduled to a time of day when we cannot devote three hours to our listening pleasure. I think Marty has his hand on the carotid pulse of Ireland, and that 'no change' is the message that should be sent out loudly to the Head of Light Entertainment in Montrose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,690 ✭✭✭GSF

I think that Marty is an excellent addition and leavening in Lyric FM, giving people a real and substantial alternative to Scary Radio One, and bringing an intelligent, compassionate and witty eye to bear on the issues that really matter to people. He combines his easy competence in the studio with a deep and comprehensive understanding of the music that people actually like to hear at the start of their day. The days he is away from his show, one might imagine that a coup d'etat had taken place, to hear the lugubrious and dreary heavy classical music that they mistakenly put on; Wagner and Brahms at 7.30 in the morning are too much for anyone in this timezone. It's more of John Barry's music, and of Rod Stewart's singing, and of young Neven Maguire's inspiring recipes that the nation needs. And what other presenter would be able to secure the generosity of Neven going on to an audio feed each and every Friday from wherever he is around the globe, or to get the young soprano Renee Fleming to expose herself to his gentle but searching questioning, or to have the superstar Martin Hayes drive from Feakle to Limerick to be interviewed on a wet Wednesday morning? The worry for the listenership, of course, is that Marty will be snapped up by another station, or rescheduled to a time of day when we cannot devote three hours to our listening pleasure. I think Marty has his hand on the carotid pulse of Ireland, and that 'no change' is the message that should be sent out loudly to the Head of Light Entertainment in Montrose.

I sense that you may be president of the Marty Whealan Protection & Preservation Society for listing broadcasters ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,575 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

GSF wrote: »
    I sense that you may be president of the Marty Whealan Protection & Preservation Society for listing broadcasters ;)

Join date Sep11 and 4 posts would probably copper fasten that statement indeed.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 547 ✭✭✭HugoBradyBrown

One is addressing an issue that seems to require it, in the public interest. (It may also be worth observing that I have never met or spoken to Mr Whelan, nor any of the other stars of LyricFM; neither am I a creature of Raidio Eireann.)

However, only belatedly my attention was drawn to an extraordinary paragraph in the Irish Times a few weeks ago, where the radio critic took a swipe at the programme. What, I wonder do these people expect at this hour of the morning: the soporific conversation of the High Table in Trinity College Dublin? Here we all are, depending on Marty to lubricate our psyches as we try to come to grips with the day ahead, and we have intellectuals throwing stones at us. I think the nation would do much better by Marty Whelan in the morning than they might from a recitation of the table talk of, say, the late Professor Isaiah Berlin, and I know I speak for up to a million listeners in that. Those who still feel the need to have scary radio have Morning Ireland there for them at the touch of a button.

The infinitesimally small minority who crave Bartok or the Second Viennese School as dawn breaks may well be the people who have the leisured life that would allow them to put on a CD. We the common people will stick in our hordes with our tried and tested programme of Mantovani, Morricone, Einaudi, John Barry, Ó Súilleabháin and the Great American Songbook. And I think we can be recognised because we tend to have smiles on our faces and a song in our hearts!

Hugo Brady Brown

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Rubik.

Eloquently put Hugo.:D

Advertisement