Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Want to transfer iTunes to new laptop

Options
  • 25-08-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭

Currently have iTunes on a laptop and all the files (music/movies/videos) are stored on an external hard drive.

I now am moving to a new laptop and would like to be able to have iTunes on the new laptop set up as the existing laptop.

I would also if possible like to keep all my Playlists.

Can anyone help me or show me how to do this? Is it straightforward enough?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,704 ✭✭✭Doylers

That wont carry over the backups of the iphone, ipod or whatever and the sync history. They will stay in appdata on the old pc

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,354 ✭✭✭gebbel

Doylers wrote: »
    That wont carry over the backups of the iphone, ipod or whatever and the sync history. They will stay in appdata on the old pc

I have the same question as the OP. How can the above issue be resolved?

Thanks

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no need to copy over the iPhone backups. iTunes will create a new backup when you sync with the new computer (with the transferred iTunes account). But if you really want them copy them over manually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭scheister

slight change on the above all my songs are stored on my iphone rather then the computer as i wiped the computer a few months ago forgetting to create a back up. It appears that if i update to IOS5 i will wipe all the songs off my phone hence losing them. If there any way to back up the songs on the phone so i dont lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭jaytobe

See here

http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1751[/QUOTE]

Great link, thanks.

Another tip:

I had 79GB in the folder but only 64GB got created in the Library.

Turns out that the remaining were in *.wma format and the itunes does not automatically convert.

Do a search for *.wma (or other formats you might have) and drag search results into iTunes window.

Q: Any way of removing mass amounts of dublicates apart from the painful way?

Advertisement