Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

23-08-2011, 17:25   #1
gaeilgebeo

Sraith Pictiúr : Leaving Cert Irish Oral.

Can anyone tell me if the Sraith Pictiúr is going to change every year or remain the same for a few years?
I thought I heard somewhere that it may change annually. I have spent a lot of time this summer doing up notes on the current series.
Advertisement
23-08-2011, 21:03   #2
neverfinished

New fifth years will get their sequence in September I believe. Last years pictures will be used by new sixth years next week and it will continue like this as far as i know
24-08-2011, 14:33   #3
gaeilgegrinds1

Change, what a load of nonsense! As for 20 for any level, ridiculous!
24-08-2011, 16:37   #4
gaeilgebeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaeilgegrinds1 View Post
Change, what a load of nonsense! As for 20 for any level, ridiculous!
Completely agree. I have a weak ordinary level class and they were overwhelmed by the number of pictures.
24-08-2011, 16:44   #5
Bobblehead Panda
Category Moderator

Weak Ordinary Level students are already struggling to get to grips with the literature that's on the course without having to do all the picture sequences too.

I understand that they want to make sure that the students don't just learn them off like they would if there was 5, but the reality is that they will still learn them off.

How have people been approaching the picture sequences? I haven't taught the new course yet myself.
Advertisement
24-08-2011, 17:21   #6
gaeilgebeo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobblehead Panda View Post
Weak Ordinary Level students are already struggling to get to grips with the literature that's on the course without having to do all the picture sequences too.

I understand that they want to make sure that the students don't just learn them off like they would if there was 5, but the reality is that they will still learn them off.

How have people been approaching the picture sequences? I haven't taught the new course yet myself.
I have made a booklet. Opposite each picture sequence I have a grid with 5 simple sentences per picture. There is a column for the Irish and a column for the English translation. At the bottom of the page is a box for "Ceisteanna" as they have to ask the examiner questions on the sequence.

I have a very weak class. We got 10 done last year. We just practiced a lot. I also have a page of phrases that can be used in most pictures, ie, "Lá iontach a bhí ann", "Tá siad ar bís", Tá áthas orthu" srl.....
Thanks from:
24-08-2011, 21:10   #7
siulach

Don't forget that our old friends the sliochtanna léitheoireachta were initially supposed to be changed every year when they were introduced in 2001, and they stayed the same until 2011! Given that the department have yet to supply us with a sample paper, I'd say it's a fairly safe bet that the 20 sraitheanna pictiúirí given to us last year will stay the same for the forseeable
Thanks from:
26-08-2011, 15:37   #8
caroline72

They will be changing!!

As per the circular outlining the curriculum changes for L Cert 2012 ar aghaidh:

The different series of pictures will be made available to the schools for the first time
in the first term of the fifth year, before the end of 2010. A sample of the A4 picture
series may be found at the end of this document. The 2012 examination will be based
on this series of pictures. Twenty new pages, with a series of pictures on each will be
issued in September 2011 for the examinations in 2013. Twenty different pages will
be issued each year afterwards. The subject matter of the pictures will be in line with
the topics mentioned in the syllabuses.
26-08-2011, 20:36   #9
Boober Fraggle

Quote:
Originally Posted by caroline72 View Post
They will be changing!!

As per the circular outlining the curriculum changes for L Cert 2012 ar aghaidh:

The different series of pictures will be made available to the schools for the first time
in the first term of the fifth year, before the end of 2010. A sample of the A4 picture
series may be found at the end of this document. The 2012 examination will be based
on this series of pictures. Twenty new pages, with a series of pictures on each will be
issued in September 2011 for the examinations in 2013. Twenty different pages will
be issued each year afterwards. The subject matter of the pictures will be in line with
the topics mentioned in the syllabuses.
That all just means that they aspired to changing them annually when the idea came out. This was part of a circular issued around February, long after the first term of 2010.

I'll be shocked if 20 new pictures make their way into our schools by the end of September this year.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
30-08-2011, 22:41   #10
gaeilgebeo

No sign of any new picture sequence or letter stating that they will be issued.
Think I'm going to work away with the current pictures with my new 5th years.
12-09-2011, 17:49   #11
caroline72

note gone up on examinations.ie to say that the picture sequences for 2013 will be issued before midterm.

http://examinations.ie/index.php?l=en&mc=ex&sc=ps
(2) thanks from:
20-11-2011, 18:01   #12
NoelleTh

Going into the 3rd week after midterm now and still no sign of the rest of the pictures, any one any ideas if they are on their way??
20-11-2011, 18:06   #13
caroline72

The first ten have been sent out to schools.
Thanks from:
20-11-2011, 18:14   #14
Bobblehead Panda
Category Moderator

The first two are available on www.examinations.ie and it says that they're available under exam information but they don't seem to be.
20-11-2011, 18:48   #15
NoelleTh

Yeah I have the first two, hopefully the first ten will be in school for me tomorrow.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion