Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

18-08-2011, 17:25   #1
S Line

Cars ‘made’ in Ireland

They used to assemble beetles in Dublin, was this in the MDL building on the long mile road that now houses Mercedes Ireland?

I think I heard there was a thing around Dublin at the time where people would take the crate that the CKD (complete knock down) body shell came in and used them as garden sheds???

Recently there was a restored Fiat in Classics Monthly magazine that was made in Dublin, where was this done?

Hino trucks were also made in Dublin? Ford had a Factory in cork in know that. Any other car brands assembled in Ireland??

I know about Delorean in N.I. (not trying to be political but technically that’s the UK after all that’s who’s government all the money was embezzled from!!!) and please don’t mention that fibre glass bathtub – the Shamrock
Advertisement
18-08-2011, 17:41   #2
VolvoMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by S Line View Post
They used to assemble beetles in Dublin, was this in the MDL building on the long mile road that now houses Mercedes Ireland?
It was actually where Ballsbridge Motors is today. It was originally an old Tram station that MDL converted to build Beetle's in around 1950 IIRC.

I believe the first car built there is now exhibited at Volkswagen's museum in Wolfsburg.

Quote:
Recently there was a restored Fiat in Classics Monthly magazine that was made in Dublin, where was this done?
There was a reunion event on recently that was for people who worked in that factory by FIAT Ireland. It stated where the factory was located, but I now forget where it was.

Quote:
Hino trucks were also made in Dublin?
They still are I think; opposite the Coca Cola factory on the Naas Road.

Other brands assembled in Dublin were British Leyland, Datsun and Toyota, who I believe were all out on the Naas Road. The factory where Chrysler/Rootes Group cars were built is now a Garda station in Coolock.
18-08-2011, 20:03   #3
Mahatma coat
Banned

the Renault 4L was assembled in Wexford (Drinagh or Kerlouge I'm not sure) , The Doors of Grandads Shed were made from packing crates that the CKD's were shipped in, I think We still have some of the Plywood with the Renault logo sprayed on it as part of the loft floor
Thanks from:
18-08-2011, 20:07   #4
Mahatma coat
Banned

wasnt there also a Ford Asembley plant somewhere in Cork
18-08-2011, 20:15   #5
Bigus

Believe it or not there were cars Made in Rathfarnham in Dublin.

I will come back with details nothing on the web but i'll get the info Again) first hand. Borgward comes to mind though

No Bull
Advertisement
18-08-2011, 20:19   #6
harry21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma coat View Post
wasnt there also a Ford Asembley plant somewhere in Cork
Yes as mentioned by the OP . I think it was down the docklands somewhere??
18-08-2011, 20:41   #7
Redrocket

Send a message via ICQ to Redrocket Send a message via MSN to Redrocket
http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-Still-...dp/1905172494/ < theres even a book on the Ford Cork factory, girlfriend got me a copy in a reasonably sized book store
18-08-2011, 21:10   #8
Kevin_Herron

Brittains in Portobello/Ringsend assembled Morris.
Buckleys in Ringsend; Hillman, Humber, Talbot & Riley
Summerfields of Lwr. Baggot Street assembled RHD Chrysler (American model), RHD and LHD Plymouth and some DeSoto.
McCairns on the North Wall and later Santry, assembled Vauxhall and Chevrolet.
Caveys on Camden Street assembled Jaguar.
O'Neills on Pleasants Street assembled Dodge.
Nugents on Parnell Street assembled Peugeot
Assemblers Garage on Townsend Street assembled RHD Hudson
Ashenhurst Williams Talbot Place- Leyland/Citroen
O'Shea's in Cork assembled Opel &Dodge
Grange Motors in Deansgrange assembled Mercedes although I am unsure when they stopped.
Booths Stephen Street assembled Wolseley & MG
Brittains in Portobello/Ringsend assembled Morris
Lincoln & Nolan on Baggot Street assembled Austin.

There are other later plants and ones I have left out.
Its hard to imagine Motor Assembley Plants in the centre of Dublin!
18-08-2011, 21:14   #9
Kevin_Herron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigus View Post
Believe it or not there were cars Made in Rathfarnham in Dublin.

I will come back with details nothing on the web but i'll get the info Again) first hand. Borgward comes to mind though

No Bull
Borgwards were assembled in Rathfarnham by the Belgian Saal family.
Advertisement
18-08-2011, 21:28   #10
bijapos

TMC in Wexford built their own car based on a Lotus 7. Stephen Roche had a TMC 1600 and a TMC Costin.

A couple of pics of the Brittains plant in Portobello, its all housing now, one of the arches has been converted into a shop.

Theres a bit more info on car assembly in Dublin and some pics in a thread here:
http://www.dublin.ie/forums/showthre...ry-in-crumlin&

Quote:
am just looking at the posts re Brittan's etc . Indeed ,they did assemble the Morris group of cars in Portabello . Thier service dept. was in Ringsend where the bus yard is now . Lincoln and Nolan assembled the Austin group of cars in New Wapping Street in East Wall and the service was in Baggot st where the Bank of Ireland is now. In 1967/68 Brittans and Lincoln&Nolan amalgamated and became B.L.N.Motor Company. and closed up Baggot st and Portobello and moved out the the old Aspro factory on the Long Mile Rd temporarily as there service dept.A new service dept was built later on the junction of Kylemore rd and Bluebell Avenue where the Royal Liver Retail Park . The Smith Motor Group moved in and it became the Smiths B.L.N. They were assembling and servicing the Austin and Morris Mini, 1100 ,1300,1800 till British Leyland bought out the complete group. Then came the introduction of Datsun Motors to Ireland and they were assembled in the same plant in Bluebell . That is as far as can go

Last edited by bijapos; 18-08-2011 at 21:34.
(3) thanks from:
18-08-2011, 22:04   #11
TigerTim

Where was the "Shamrock" made. I know of one surviving in Killarney.

T.
19-08-2011, 02:44   #12
savagecabbages

DKW or Auto Unions made in Cork? I remember the lettering still painted onto the side of a factory a few years back around the Bishopstown side IIRC...

Anyone shed any light?
Thanks from:
19-08-2011, 07:58   #13
carchaeologist

Mod: Kerry
Send a message via MSN to carchaeologist
DKW were made in Ballincollig, The Shamrock buisiness was established by an American businessmen, James F. Conway and his buddy William K Curtis in Tralee, Co. Kerry, but was moved to Castleblayney, Co. Monaghan, before production began. The aim was to produce a large luxury car model for export to the US market. It didn't work out as the design was flawed in many ways.
(2) thanks from:
19-08-2011, 11:40   #14
PanhardPL

2 more makes that were assembled in Dublin,

NSU at Reg Armstrong Motors in Ringsend,

Panhard at John Caldwell's in Lucan
(2) thanks from:
19-08-2011, 11:47   #15
lepoatnam

Reg Armstrong used to assemble Opel's too.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion