Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Refurbished Princess

Options
  • 11-08-2011 1:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Lsst February, I took my 1978 Leyland Princess Special Six off the road in order to attend to some bodywork.
    The door bottoms were showing signs of paint bubbling while the sills and wheels arches also needed attention-the usual rot spots on such cars.

All the door bottoms were rotten so the rot was cut out and new metal grafted in.
    Similarily, the sills were corroded through so they too had the rot removed and new metal grafted in as well as new outer sill sections fitted.
    All of the wheel arches and front wing bottoms were as bad so they too were treated similarily to the doors and sills.
    There was also a few small dents on the body so they were removed.
    The entire bottom of the car from the silver stripe down was repainted.

Some photos of the car before the work was done:

PBd.jpg

PBe.jpg

PBa.jpg

SillPatch.jpg

DoorBottomAfter.jpg

DoorNewMetal.jpg

PBh.jpg

PBh.jpg

PBi.jpg

SillPrepped.jpg

BootDentRemoved.jpg

Last weekend, I took the car across to the UK to attend the 17th Annual BMC/BL Day in Ferry Meadows, Peterborough.
    This was the cars third time at the event.
    It received a lot of attention this year and I did an interview and photoshoot with Classic Car Weekly and Practical Classic mag with a feature due in the October issue of the mag.

Some photos of the car after the work was done in the next post......

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Princess HLS

Specialsix2.jpg

Specialsix4.jpg

Specialsix5.jpg

Specialsix6.jpg

Specialsix3.jpg

PB3.jpg

PB7.jpg

PB2.jpg

PB4.jpg

PB5.jpg

PB1.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Its good to see that sort of work carried out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

Brilliant.

I have a real soft spot for these Princess's.

One day.............one day

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

Well ware
    I always liked BL cars from that era Princess, SD1, TR7 etc... I often think with those cars and workforce that was not part of the red-robbo ‘lets go on strike because the soup was cold in the canteen today’ brigade that perhaps BL might have not became Austin-Rover, Rover, Phoenix and then a big ‘what might have been’ !!

Although I can’t blame strikes etc for the Marina or the Allegro’s square steering wheel.

I often read in modified classic and hot rod magazines that people upgrade their brakes to ‘princess callipers’. Are they that good, I believe that they are a 4 pot calliper in an era that most others were 2 pots? Would princess’s being harvested for their brakes led to a lot of them being crushed??

S Line wrote: »

Although I can’t blame strikes etc for the Marina or the Allegro’s square steering wheel.
    The SD1 had a square wheel also and it was very nice to use, as is the Allegro's one.

The Marina wasn't a bad car, it was just bland.
    S Line wrote: »
    I often read in modified classic and hot rod magazines that people upgrade their brakes to ‘princess callipers’. Are they that good, I believe that they are a 4 pot calliper in an era that most others were 2 pots? Would princess’s being harvested for their brakes led to a lot of them being crushed??
    I'd say it has more to do with them rusting badly and poor parts availability with certain parts that have consigned most of them to the scrap yard.

• Advertisement

Yes, Princess calipers are 4 pots and are very good at the job.
    They are much sought after for upgrading other motors.

The Princess model was one of the better rust proofed BL cars of the time.

Why so many haven't survived is more to do with poor resale value as a result of initial reliability issues.
    During the first twelve months, there were frequent reports about the new cars which at best were unreliable, and at worst - dangerous.
    Poor build quality was not a good start for such an advanced motor car.
    However, the Princess cars were well received when they were new. Despite problems which were experienced with the cars, they gained a good following and in the initial few years 186,000 were sold with a total 264,000+ being sold in total.

The Mark 2 versions were introduced in 1979 and many of the issues were rectified at that stage.
    However, it was probably too late as many traditional Princess buyers had defected to other marques (generally Japanese) by then.

Once looked after, a Princess is a very worthy car. It is more than capable of keeping up with modern traffic, is extremely comfortable & roomy inside and very easy to work on (check out the room in the engine bay of the 6 cylinder engine-everything is accessible)

There are only a few hundred Princesses left in the UK now, with only half a dozen or so in Ireland (I have 3!!)
    Many are still roadworthy while others have been saved for future restoration or for parts donation to keep cars on the road.

Specialsix12.jpg

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 64,891 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Fair play to ya Tony!

I'm very impressed with the interior. Is it original?

unkel wrote: »
    Fair play to ya Tony!

Yep I'd say so. That was a special edition, don't think there is more than 6 left on the road

unkel wrote: »
    Fair play to ya Tony!

Cheers Unkel,

Apart from the drivers seat, which I replaced, the interior is completely original :)

@johnos1984 - in actual fact, my Special Six is currently the only known roadworthy example left. I also have another one which I am cannibalising for parts as it was completely knackered.

Tony

@johnos1984 - in actual fact, my Special Six is currently the only known roadworthy example left. I also have another one which I am cannibalising for parts as it was completely knackered.

I'd believe it to be honest. the lst few I'd heard of were in terrible shape but I'm certain I saw a good one at a show about 12 months ago.

I'll try go back through my snaps and see if it's there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭MercMad

Fair play Tony, looks fab !

Were you aware of the rust when you bought it, I thought from the photos you posted back then that it was mint !

MercMad wrote: »

Were you aware of the rust when you bought it, I thought from the photos you posted back then that it was mint !

I'd a fair idea that there was rust lurking about all right. The bottoms of the rear doors had fillers in them and I was aware that the bottoms of the rear arches were rotten too.
    You know yourself, once you start digging there's always more hiding away underneath!
    I'm not aiming to have a concourse motor but one that is in good enough condition to drive about and take to shows :)

Tony

• Registered Users Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭jimmyw

Well you crafty olde beggar Princess HLS:D, you have got your motor onto page 50 of "Practical Classics" magazine.Any excuse to show her off..............................................................................................................................................and why not, fair play to you.

princesslb.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

Congrats Tony. Well deserved. The car looks great.

B.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭tc20

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Congrats Tony. Well deserved. The car looks great.

+1 well done!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,347 ✭✭✭si_guru

Love it mate!

You alluded in the article that you" flew over", to get the car when you bought it,where?.Do tell, probably the UK?

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

I got my copy of P.C. on saturday. Nice feature well done on such a nice car !!!

jimmyw wrote: »
    You alluded in the article that you" flew over", to get the car when you bought it,where?.Do tell, probably the UK?

Apologies for the extremely delayed reply! (I'm not on this forum often)

Yes, I bought it in the UK (Surrey) in November 2009 and drove it up to Holyhead (via my sisters place in Nottingham) the same day in torrential rain and wind but I made it!

Tony

And who said British Leyland motors were crap:).Just as well you bought it over there cause I bet there's hardly much over here? They are probably stuck in hedges somewhere or after returning to nature:D

• Advertisement

There are about 400 listed on the DVLA register but not that many are active/roadworthy.

I have 3 (2 roadworthy and 1 for spares) and I'm aware of another 4 roadworthy ones in Ireland plus at least 1 that's languishing in a barn.

Here is my manual 2200 HLS which was in a cow shed for 15 years with a seized clutch before it was dragged out and restored:

Maynooth.jpg

BFW2.jpg

Before Restoration:

FAM6.jpg

FAM7.jpg

FAM8.jpg

FAM3.jpg

FAM4.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Congraglations to you all who have the ability and the patience to undertake this work, I have neither!! I like to get my Mercs in fairly good condition, and do whatever needs doing, if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Cousin of mine had an Ambassador - more Kermit than Princess :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,884 ✭✭✭101sean

The Princess my brother in law bought over 18 months or so ago is still going but doesn't get out much. Starts on the button every time though!

Advertisement