Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Tenements

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I see them covering Artane
    My parents were telling me that during the summer some of the lads and girls from Artane would be sent out of Dublin all over Ireland and farmers would take them in

For some it was fantastic, out of the flats and smog, probably their first time outside the city and they would be treated kindly though they had to work of course.

But then some would be treated badly, little more then unpaid servants and farm labour can be brutal when John Deere or Massey Ferguson wasn't around to help. Would be looked down on and wouldn't eat at the same table as the farmer's son

Now and again some of the Artane people would end up staying and and I was told examples in Tipperary and Offaly, ended up living here and raising families.

That's it, series over and an excellent series it was

The Winstons had a blazing fire going every time we saw them in the flat but an earlier episode was about the high price of fuel.
    Ok, they got a palette but it's not realy realistic

I'll probably be dismissed but why the heartbreak about moving to Crumlin or Cabra, I thought it was an American wake from the reactions.
    A fit person could walk or cycle that no problem but you'd think they'd moved to the end of the world and you'd never see them again.

Sure people in rural Ireland moved all over the country in search of work, these people moved less then ten km :confused:
    And I know the tram system was being shut down and bus service wasn't extensive.

Would have liked if they do a second series they go around Ireland, like the Claddagh in Galway, do one episode each for cities in Ireland :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 588 ✭✭✭R.Dub.Fusilier

mikemac wrote: »
    The Winstons had a blazing fire going every time we saw them in the flat but an earlier episode was about the high price of fuel.
    Ok, they got a palette but it's not realy realistic

I'll probably be dismissed but why the heartbreak about moving to Crumlin or Cabra, I thought it was an American wake from the reactions.
    A fit person could walk or cycle that no problem but you'd think they'd moved to the end of the world and you'd never see them again.

my family lived in tenements in Dublin for many years from the 19th century up until the 1940s or so and i was hoping for a lot more from the series but i enjoyed it overall but as i have said in this thread i was not into the reality part of it.

my mother moved out to Finglas in the 1950s and my granny said that she would not be going to visit her out in the country. finglas is less than four miles from O'Connell Street. people from the city centre didnt even want to be burried in Glasnevin cemetry when it was opened because it was tto far out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

By the standards of people who have always lived in the CIty Centre who never had any private transport four miles is a long distance. Many of the women with large families could not afford the expense or the time to travel four miles one way and back.
    The programme could not do much more than provide a glimpse of tenement life.
    What I fould depressing is the sense of entitlement. There was among some contributors a notion of waiting until the politicians did something. The politicians were concerned with parcelling out farms in rural areas. Every election from 1918 to 1973 turned on the question of land allocation. the urban dwellers never got their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

Whilst following up on an artist, I came across some earlier details on number 7 Henrietta street before it became tenements - that might be of interest :

from Thom's 1863 :

7 Henrietta Street
    Robert Cooper, solicitor, registrar to the dean & chaper of St. Patricks Cathedral
    George Rollo Massey, solicitor
    Patrick Vincent Duffy R.H.A.
    John Faulkner R.H.A.

John Faulkner was a landscape painter and a member of the Royal Hibernian Academy

Shane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Kosseegan wrote: »
    By the standards of people who have always lived in the CIty Centre who never had any private transport four miles is a long distance. Many of the women with large families could not afford the expense or the time to travel four miles one way and back.

That's an hour's walk

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Shegull

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

There was among some contributors a notion of waiting until the politicians did something. The politicians were concerned with parcelling out farms in rural areas. Every election from 1918 to 1973 turned on the question of land allocation. the urban dwellers never got their act together.

I thought the 1930's saw a huge increase in housebuilding in Dublin as part of the Fianna Fail administration.

In the 1930s the Fianna Fáil government moved people out of the slums and tenements. Between 1932 and 1940, in a great housing campaign, 133,220 houses were built or reconstructed.

It was one of their greatest achievements.
    What I fould depressing is the sense of entitlement. There was among some contributors a notion of waiting until the politicians did something. The politicians were concerned with parcelling out farms in rural areas. Every election from 1918 to 1973 turned on the question of land allocation. the urban dwellers never got their act together.

Meanwhile FF were busy destroying the cattle industry and ruining farmers with their escalation of the economic war
    Don't think all the government attention and resouces were going to rural Ireland

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,649 ✭✭✭✭CDfm

mikemac wrote: »
    It was one of their greatest achievements.

In the 20's did Cumann na Gaedhael build houses ?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 987 ✭✭✭Kosseegan

CDfm wrote: »
    I thought the 1930's saw a huge increase in housebuilding in Dublin as part of the Fianna Fail administration.

A few blocks of flats such as Mercer Street and a few small schemes such as Maryland. Crumlin, Cabra and Donnycarney were 1940s developments. The rate of household formation was greater than the supply of houses. With 19 families in a big georgian house it would take a lenghty terrace to accomodate the occupants of just one house. As fast as that terrace would be built several of the occupants would have married and reproduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 JemWhsky

My granny as able to speak a jibberish type of english that only her friends could understand,they called it double talk..This was around 30s 40s Dublin,anyone recall this.?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Hi JemWhsky. I absolutely have never heard of this 'language' your granny spoke. I would be very interested if someone else here knows about it.

The only thing I can recall regarding gibberish was how the travellers spoke, and still speak, but it's English, just at a rate of knots! :) My mother might have referred to someone as 'talking ten to the dozen', meaning 'she never stops talking' or 'more words than her breath can manage'.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

JemWhsky wrote: »
    My granny as able to speak a jibberish type of english that only her friends could understand,they called it double talk..This was around 30s 40s Dublin,anyone recall this.?

I'm no expert on this but it sounds more like a children’s wordplay game rather than a ‘language’ which is common in several cultures. Usually it is based on the juxtaposition of syllables. In France it is widespread amoung teenagers, a sort of youth culture language, which also has taken in several Arabic words, similar to the way Black rapper culture words have been absorbed into white adolescent slang in the US and elsewhere. In French it is called ‘Chébran’ – which explains it quite well, i.e. from ‘branché’, the word for ‘connected’.

The travellers' language is Shelta or 'the Cant'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 blemmer

The name of the floor polish mentioned in the tenements piece is 'Lavender Wax', the other was called 'Mansion House'. What fun we had as kids gliding around the floor with rags on our feet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Yes blemmer, I remember skating across the floor to polish it too!

• Registered Users Posts: 176 ✭✭odonnellcarey

Anyone trying to find the book excerpt ‘How The Poor Lived In Dublin’ mentioned by Jellybaby1 above should use the link below (original link now dead).
    Charles A. Cameron, Reminiscences of Sir Charles Cameron, CB (Dublin & London 1913).
    The full book is downloadable in various formats or readable online.

Advertisement