Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Billed by Digiweb after prize period ended

Options
  • 30-07-2011 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭

Be careful with these <SNIP>. I won a "free" account off them in this thread while living in Oz, they sent me a bill for it and now have a debt collection agency harrassing me for money. They wont reply to any of my correspondence.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

Ciaran, I had the same problem as well. I won a free account for a year, then I got a bill for it after it had finished.

Haven't received any letters from debt collection companies yet though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Guys,

If you don't want the account after the first year, just cancel it. You should be able to do this from account login. Don't just ignore the letter /email for payment.

Admittedly, this should have been made clear during the comp but I would expect my free year to continue into a paid second year OR I cancel the account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

RangeR wrote: »
    Guys,

If you don't want the account after the first year, just cancel it. You should be able to do this from account login. Don't just ignore the letter /email for payment.

Admittedly, this should have been made clear during the comp but I would expect my free year to continue into a paid second year OR I cancel the account.
    What "free" prize automatically turns into a paid account without you signing anything or agreeing to it? When did I agree to that?

Fair enough it could be an oversight but the <SNIP> refuse to even discuss it with me, and their collection agency has not responded to my correspondence either.

Ill be getting the Gardai involved pretty sharpish if its not sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

CiaranC wrote: »
    What "free" prize automatically turns into a paid account without you signing anything or agreeing to it? When did I agree to that?

Fair enough it could be an oversight but the <SNIP> refuse to even discuss it with me, and their collection agency has not responded to my correspondence either.

Well would you have preferred if they deleted your site/domain without telling you?
    Keep records of your emails, perhaps try looking for different contact information as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭SLIM19198

phill106 wrote: »
    Well would you have preferred if they deleted your site/domain without telling you?
    Keep records of your emails, perhaps try looking for different contact information as well.

Most services disable your site a long time before deleting it, just to let you know in case your other contact details do not work! Then, if you still do not contact them after a few weeks, then your site gets deleted!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

Split from the Digiweb competition thread.

OP, check the terms you agreed to when you signed up after winning (I'm sure it'll be covered in those) and/or contact Digiweb to cancel the account.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

^^ I'd echo the above. I would expect a free prize period to turn into a contractual obligation. You need to check the T&Cs that you received and you need to notify Digiweb of your intention to cancel your account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭Feckfox

contact Digiweb to cancel the account.
    dudara wrote: »
    You need to check the T&Cs that you received and you need to notify Digiweb of your intention to cancel your account.
    They wont reply to any of my correspondence.

Very sneaky by digiweb. The most obvious thing that should happen is that your account is disabled until you pay and then deleted after a grace period.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,846 ✭✭✭✭eth0_

And the gardai will laugh at you because this could only be considered a civil matter and the police only act on criminal activities.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Fair enough it could be an oversight but the <SNIP> refuse to even discuss it with me,

How have you tried to contact them?

• Advertisement

eth0_ wrote: »
    And the gardai will laugh at you because this could only be considered a civil matter and the police only act on criminal activities.
    Creditor harrassment is a criminal offence in this country.
    OP, check the terms you agreed to when you signed up after winning (I'm sure it'll be covered in those) and/or contact Digiweb to cancel the account.
    I signed up to no terms and conditions. Do you not think it would have occurred to me to check them?

Anyway, this thread obviously finally got their attention, theyve called off the collection agency.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,218 ✭✭✭padocon

I am not sure of the legalities but I do know you have to receive several emails prior to the contract being renewed, if you did not get any you may have grounds for complaint.

Roll over contracts are legit, this refers to gyms but the same applies for hosting etc.
    Some gyms operate a rollover or an automatic renewal clause. This means that if you fail to inform the gym in writing that you do not intend to renew your membership, it will automatically continue.
    Taken from Consumer Connect

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I signed up to no terms and conditions. Do you not think it would have occurred to me to check them?
    I find it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no terms to sign up to.

Coming from Digiweb Hosting's standard terms:
    Hosting and domain services are provided for an initial term of 12 months (unless explicitly defined under contract) and shall automatically renew for subsequent 12 month terms, until terminated in accordance with this agreement. After the Initial Term, subscribers may terminate this agreement upon thirty (30) days written notice to Digiweb. Should the subscriber wish to terminate this agreement for any reason during the initial term, a cancellation fee equal to three (3) months monthly service fee will become immediately due, and subscriber acknowledges and agrees to pay such fee. A customer may only terminate a contract during the Initial term with the agreement of Digiweb. Digiweb may in its sole discretion terminate this Agreement at any time. In the event that DIGIWEB terminates this Agreement for reasons other than breach of this Agreement by Subscriber, then Digiweb shall endeavor to the extent reasonably possible to provide 30 days notice to Subscriber. Subscriber is liable under this Agreement for all fees and charges until such time as the Agreement has been terminated. SUBSCRIBER UNDERSTANDS THAT UNLESS WRITTEN NOTIFICATION IS RECEIVED BY DIGIWEB AFTER THE INITIAL TERM, THE SERVICE SHALL CONTINUE AND SUBSCRIBER WILL CONTINUE TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR PAYMENT OF APPLICABLE SERVICE FEES.

Bold emphasis mine, this in itself would cover the billing. I'd suggest looking again to see if there are any additional terms from the competition.

padocon wrote: »
    I am not sure of the legalities but I do know you have to receive several emails prior to the contract being renewed, if you did not get any you may have grounds for complaint.
    I didnt recieve any emails. I forgot I even won the account.
    I find it hard to believe that there would be absolutely no terms to sign up to.
    You find it hard to believe? Its a competition run on a thread on boards. You win, they PM you asking for name and address. They PM you the account details.

There is no contract containing any terms and conditions involved.

The matter is closed, please close this thread, as I am getting tired of being accused of all sorts.

Advertisement