Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

World University Games

Options
  • 28-07-2011 12:02pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭

The team has been announced for Shenzhen (China)

Amy Foster (100m)
    Brendan Boyce (20k walk)
    Darren McBrearty (800m)
    Jessie Barr (400mh)
    Justine Kinney (400mh)
    Kourosh Foroughi (High Jump)
    Laura Reynolds (20k walk)
    Micheál Doyle (20k walk)

Most significant ommision from the team is Ciaran O Lionaird who achieved the standards in the following events 1500/5000/10000 and has been running consistently superb races all year.

The games start on the 12th of August

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 205 ✭✭SitUbuSit

I remember reading somewhere that the athletes have to pay their own way, and thus why O'Lionaird wasn't going. I can't seem to remember where I read it.

It's a bad state if promising international athletes aren't supported to attend major international competitions...

Thoughts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,762 ✭✭✭✭ecoli

I remember reading somewhere that the athletes have to pay their own way, and thus why O'Lionaird wasn't going. I can't seem to remember where I read it.

It's a bad state if promising international athletes aren't supported to attend major international competitions...

Thoughts?

Unless this is a new thing in the last few years i dont think that is the case as i know athletes who have gone on previous games and not had to pay there own way

Edit: just saw the article you were referring to regarding the soccer team. I think this is different to athletics (though not hundred percent sure)

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

ecoli wrote: »
    Unless this is a new thing in the last few years i dont think that is the case as i know athletes who have gone on previous games and not had to pay there own way

Edit: just saw the article you were referring to regarding the soccer team. I think this is different to athletics (though not hundred percent sure)

A lot of international teams pay there own way. Sometimes they only get a small supliment from the national organisations, but its generally from ones own pocket.

Actually, the National org usually pays a bit for World Champs, but everything else, training camps, other necessarily competitions for qualifications etc come out of the athletes pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭Goofy

Atheletes dont have to pay to get to Shenzen

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

Goofy wrote: »

Just a thought actually, who selected the team?
    Was it the AAI or CUSAI?
    Or who pays for the team, AAI or CUSAI does anyone know?

• Advertisement

The team has been announced for Shenzhen (China)

Amy Foster (100m)
    Brendan Boyce (20k walk)
    Darren McBrearty (800m)
    Jessie Barr (400mh)
    Justine Kinney (400mh)
    Kourosh Foroughi (High Jump)
    Laura Reynolds (20k walk)
    Micheál Doyle (20k walk)

Most significant ommision from the team is Ciaran O Lionaird who achieved the standards in the following events 1500/5000/10000 and has been running consistently superb races all year.

The games start on the 12th of August

Is O' Lionaird in college in Ireland though?

They are representing CUSAI but I think AAI are involved in the admin. Who does the selecting and where the funding comes from I dont know

O'Lionaird has just graduated from university in Florida, I believe

Goofy wrote: »

After hearing different from someone with the standard its from the athletes own pocket. I was of the impression that used to be taken care of but guess times are changing

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mad_len

To clarify, I made myself available for selection for World University Games provided the costs were somewhat reasonable.

My plan was to compete in the 5k and to return to Tallahasee once I achieved the time in Heusden to train in the humidity an prepare for the competition.

Unfortunately, I was informed that if FSU were not willing to pay for me (FSU would only cover travel to a trial competition as there was no precedent set in their opinion whereby a national governing body would not pay for a selected athlete's travel) that I would have to cover te cost of the trip myself which I was told was something in the region of 2-3,000 Euro.

Competing for my country is a tremendous honour. However, as an athlete currently finished in the NCAA system and trying to sustain myself without sponsorship for a shot at the Olympic A next year, spending that sort of money on WUG was simply not an option, especially considering I have not received carding for the year 2011 as of yet (I have achieved the time standard for development).

I wish the team competing in Shenzen the best of luck and I'm sure they will represent Irish students with distinction. It is unfortunate I won't get a shot at the medal I feel I'm capable of winning. However, I'm excited to continue chasing faster times and beginning my buildup for what should be a great 2012, one that will hopefully take me on some comped excursions to Istanbul and London.

Ciaran

Hi all,

I think it's a really sad situation when one of our brightest hopes in athletics is unable to attend a major competition, that would give him great experience, and has launched the careers of great athletes like Sonia O'Sullivan (in 1991).

So, rather than sitting on the sidelines, I've decided to try and do something about it. I'm now seeking support to find a sponsor to support Ciarán's participation in China. Apparently, there still is time for Ciarán to be included on the team but we have to move fast.

We can either get a supportive company to sponsor his particiapation, or start a quick and easy fund-raising campaign to get a few people donating a hundred euro each.

Thoughts?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Mad_len

Although I greatly appreciate the efforts of Seamus, having consulted with my coach on the matter I think it is too late to jump into a major competition. It has been almost a month now since we decided WUG wasn't viable and since then I've dropped mileage and changed training in order to chase a 1500 time that might get me to Daegu. Had I prepared for Shenzhen the past month as planned originally the story would be different, but I've been riding my peak for quite a while now and one more 5k could be too much, especially given my injury record.

We're also thinking about next year and making sure I take a break and recover for 2012. Best of luck to all the team once again and thanks for the support.

Ciaran

• Registered Users Posts: 3,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dan man

Best of luck with the rest of the season Ciaran and for next year of course. We'll all be rooting for ye.

After hearing different from someone with the standard its from the athletes own pocket. I was of the impression that used to be taken care of but guess times are changing

After talking to two of the athletes listed above and a past representative, its not from the athletes own pocket. Each athlete is funded by his/her own university.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rocket Science

i would be surprised if any of the athletes are paying their own way. The college that the athlete attends is probably paying the costs in each case. It is terrible that Ciaran was prevented from competing but he has a super attitude and is putting it behind him and moving towards the next target. Best of luck to Ciaran.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jaaayo

3:34.46

With the WUG starting today thought I would list athletes timetables for the championships.
    Amy Foster (100m) 16th August 18.40
    Brendan Boyce (20k walk) 18th August 14.30
    Darren McBrearty (800m) 19th August 18.20
    Jessie Barr (400mh) 16th August 19.35
    Justine Kinney (400mh) 16th August 19.35
    Kourosh Foroughi (High Jump) 17th August 01.45
    Laura Reynolds (20k walk) 19th August 14.30
    Micheál Doyle (20k walk) 18th August 14.30
    Brian Gregan (400m) 16th August 16.35

I will post streams for these when i get them later in the week

Athletics kicking off today:

Stream (Free Registraion required)

Results

Gregan got a favourable draw. Quickest on time this year however there is a 45.5 runner in the field. First 2 qualify and 8 fastest times from 8 heats

Looks like my times are slightly off :o

Gregan wins his heat in 46.37
    Jessie Barr 4th in heat in 57.21 fails to advance
    Kourosh makes through qualifying in high jump =PB of 2.20

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Keep up the good work Ecoli! Im way too busy to get around to watching the free stream of it.

• Advertisement

Timmaay wrote: »
    Keep up the good work Ecoli! Im way too busy to get around to watching the free stream of it.

Glad you approve because I dont think the boss would agree with our definition of "work":D

Any Foster also qualified in the 100m, finishing second in Heat 2 in 11.67.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,492 ✭✭✭Woddle

Eurosport2 today at 1pm

Results from today

Gregan wins his semi in a new PB of 46.00
    Foster 5th in her semi in 11.60

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭runjb

Savage performance by Gregan. He spoke after his heat and said that he was going to go out very hard in his semi to ensure a place in his final. Now he will have an ideal lane to attack for a medal.

Amy Foster 2nd in her heat with a new PB of 23.53 to qualify from the 200m heats

Fantastic performance by Amy Foster in the 200m so far. She was 2nd in Heat 5 of the First Round this morning in 24.08, the 8th fastest qualifier from the heats. She followed this up with a 23.53 coming 2nd in Heat 1 of the Second Round this afternoon - a new PB by 5 hundreds of a second, and the joint-third fastest qualifier for the Semi-Finals.

Kourosh is now taking part in the Final of the HJ and just cleared 2.10m and 2.15m on his first attempts. Grego's 400m Final is about 2mins away.

Exciting stuff!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Fantastic performance by Amy Foster in the 200m so far. She was 2nd in Heat 5 of the First Round this morning in 24.08, the 8th fastest qualifier from the heats. She followed this up with a 23.53 coming 2nd in Heat 1 of the Second Round this afternoon - a new PB by 5 hundreds of a second, and the joint-third fastest qualifier for the Semi-Finals.

Kourosh is now taking part in the Final of the HJ and just cleared 2.10m and 2.15m on his first attempts. Grego's 400m Final is about 2mins away.

Exciting stuff!

Just reg on FISU.

Has the 400m been on?

O)k I see the 2 minutes now, lol.

Looks like 5th???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Great clearance there.

Advertisement