Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

26-07-2011, 16:41   #1
softmee
Closed Account

Should I give way to car reversing from parking space?

If I am driving on industrial estate road and somebody is reversing from parking space and after seeing my car approaching is not stopping, but proceeding to reverse - should I stop and give way or beep to warn?
I was arguing with my friend today about that after something like this happen.
May I have your advice please?
In general I am giving way, letting people go first etc, but that was different - woman in that car saw my car coming and she did not stop and that's why I beeped to let her know I am not stopping, there was also car driving behind me.
Advertisement
26-07-2011, 16:43   #2
chin_grin
Closed Account

As a rule the reversing car should give way to traffic already on the road as that has the right of.

If the drivers visibility is hindered (eg in a van) they might be chancing their arm and waiting on the good of the passing cars to stop and let him\her out.

If the vehicle is blocking your lane though you will have to slow and stop if necessary so you don't drift or move out in to the oncoming one.
26-07-2011, 16:48   #3
softmee
Closed Account

Its a very quiet street and she could see everything clearly, so in that case have I done the right think or was it rude (like according to my friend)?
27-07-2011, 09:08   #4
**Timbuk2**

Technically, you have right of way, but be careful (especially in car parks, there can be some seriously poor driving in carparks) - those that choose to drive straight into a space (not as safe as reversing) sometimes can't see what's coming on the 'road' unless they reverse out a bit, so anticipate that a car will reverse out regardless of whether you are there or not until they see you.

Sometimes letting a car out is good manners - it is an unsafe manouever (it's much safer to reverse in and drive straight out), and also once you let them out you can then take their parking space if you wish!
Thanks from:
27-07-2011, 12:20   #5
DreamC

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmee View Post
Its a very quiet street and she could see everything clearly, so in that case have I done the right think or was it rude (like according to my friend)?
It could be the magic of L-plates (if you display them). Some people are just arrogant and rude to learner drivers.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2011, 18:38   #6
Pandoras Twist

If it was a test I'm guessing beeping and proceeding would be a mark against you under reaction to hazards.

Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you should keep going when someone else decides to be a prick
27-07-2011, 19:56   #7
softmee
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pandoras Twist View Post
If it was a test I'm guessing beeping and proceeding would be a mark against you under reaction to hazards.

Just because you have right of way doesnt mean you should keep going when someone else decides to be a prick
Well, I slowed downed of course, but why she continued to reverse when she saw me clearly? I would have stopped but there was a car close to me behind and that's why my reaction was to beep and drive..
-I am not saying I did the right think, just dont know.
27-07-2011, 20:04   #8
Mary28

If I was reversing and I thought I wouldn't make it out in time and be gone by the time an oncoming car reached me I would definitely stop reversing. However I think the vast majority of people (male and female!) would just keep reversing and assume you will stop and wait for them. This is my experience anyway. Were you rude to beep, not sure. I wouldn't usually beeb if I saw them in good time but if someone started reversing out without even looking and were almost causing a collision I would certainly beep. Otherwise I would try to be courteous and let them out.
Thanks from:
27-07-2011, 20:08   #9
cyrusdvirus
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by **Timbuk2** View Post
Technically, you have right of way, but be careful (especially in car parks, there can be some seriously poor driving in carparks) - those that choose to drive straight into a space (not as safe as reversing) sometimes can't see what's coming on the 'road' unless they reverse out a bit, so anticipate that a car will reverse out regardless of whether you are there or not until they see you.

Sometimes letting a car out is good manners - it is an unsafe manouever (it's much safer to reverse in and drive straight out), and also once you let them out you can then take their parking space if you wish!

Not always true.... In the herringbone parking in Liffey Valley Driving out of a space means you are having to change direction approx 135 degrees to not be going against the flow of traffic. There is a one way system in operation there.
Thanks from:
Advertisement
27-07-2011, 20:08   #10
Mr. Presentable
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary28 View Post
If I was reversing and I thought I wouldn't make it out in time and be gone by the time an oncoming car reached me I would definitely stop reversing. However I think the vast majority of people (male and female!) would just keep reversing and assume you will stop and wait for them. This is my experience anyway. Were you rude to beep, not sure. I wouldn't usually beeb if I saw them in good time but if someone started reversing out without even looking and were almost causing a collision I would certainly beep. Otherwise I would try to be courteous and let them out.
This is what causes accidents.

The OP has right of way over a car joining the throughway from a minor area - in this case from a parking space. There is no requirement for the OP to yield. It might, however be wise to do so, but a blast of the horn to warn the other is perfectly suitable.
28-07-2011, 17:07   #11
**Timbuk2**

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatecrash View Post
Not always true.... In the herringbone parking in Liffey Valley Driving out of a space means you are having to change direction approx 135 degrees to not be going against the flow of traffic. There is a one way system in operation there.
Diagonal parking is different. The design of herringbone car parks are to make the process of parking quicker. Usually these spaces are at 45 degrees, so (as you say) its much safer to drive straight in, and reverse out. But because of the angle of the parking spaces combined with the one way systems, it's easier to see when you are reversing back, so it's not all that "dangerous" (although there is a danger element to all reversing, be very alert for things like children in car parks).

I don't personally like those 45 degree spaces because you lose 2 spaces in each row, and it's harder to see at a glance where the free spaces are.

But again, use common sense. I know that reversing into a car parking space is nearly always safer with typical 90 degree spaces, but if I was going grocery shopping, it's also hugely inconvenient in terms of loading the boot - so sometimes I'd just drive straight in, and make sure to be extremely vigilant while reversing out!
28-07-2011, 18:25   #12
softmee
Closed Account

I still don't know what would be the best think to do on driving test.
29-07-2011, 13:23   #13
Dweezel

In the Driving Test, I would definately slow down, prepare to stop and let the driver continue to reverse especially if they do not look like they are stopping. If they continued to drive out in front of you and you had to brake suddenly, you would definately get a grade 2 fault.
You should let you driving tester see that you can react efficiently to unexpected hazards.
Something similiar enough happened in my test!!
Thanks from:
29-07-2011, 13:49   #14
daveharnett

Quote:
Originally Posted by softmee View Post
I still don't know what would be the best think to do on driving test.
Err on the side of caution.

As a general rule, it's best to assume that all other drivers will always take the stupidest possible course of action. That means that all the surprises will be good ones.
(2) thanks from:
29-07-2011, 13:49   #15
softmee
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dweezel View Post
In the Driving Test, I would definately slow down, prepare to stop and let the driver continue to reverse especially if they do not look like they are stopping. If they continued to drive out in front of you and you had to brake suddenly, you would definately get a grade 2 fault.
You should let you driving tester see that you can react efficiently to unexpected hazards.
Something similiar enough happened in my test!!
Thanks, I am just not sure if slowing down and beeping wouldnt be enough? But yes, I guess no harm to stop in situation like this.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion