Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

May He Rest in Peace

Options
  • 21-07-2011 10:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18

The Death has occurred of Brian Greene of Glasnevin and Howth, Dublin
    Former Signalman in Liffey Junction.
    Removal from Jennings Funeral Home, Oscar Tranor Road, Coolock on
    Saturday morning at 10am to glasnevin Crematorium for cremation service
    at 10.30am.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 558 ✭✭✭OurLadyofKnock

Sinkyou wrote: »
    The Death has occurred of Brian Greene of Glasnevin and Howth, Dublin
    Former Signalman in Liffey Junction.
    Removal from Jennings Funeral Home, Oscar Tranor Road, Coolock on
    Saturday morning at 10am to glasnevin Crematorium for cremation service
    at 10.30am.

Why is relevant to this board?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭johndaman66

Why is relevant to this board?

Signalman....Commuting and Transport forum, I'm guessing. May Brian Rest in Peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

I knew Brian - aka Vortex to his friends in the railway preservation world - but surprised to see his death announced here. RIP.

I knew Brian - aka Vortex to his friends in the railway preservation world - but surprised to see his death announced here. RIP.

That's why I asked. I was wondering if he was one of the posters on this board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,549 ✭✭✭✭Judgement Day

Amongst Brian's many talents was a flair for spontaneous drawing and these two pics are from a visit to the railway scrapyard in Mullingar in the early 1980's. While the rest of us were noting down numbers and unscrewing anything that we could, Brian was busy decorating anything that didn't move! I had more pics but can't put my hand on them right now. The cabin at Liffey Junction was decorated with his work. Brian did a lot of voluntary work at the Transport Museum in Howth and Dromod over the years and he will be sorely missed by those that were privileged to know him. At least he wasn't taken alive by the natives at Liffey Junction! When Brian used to ring me from there during the night shift he was often interrupted by local gougers trying to dig their way in to the base of the cabin. We often joked that he should keep the last bullet for himself. We won't see his like again. :)

vortex003.jpg

vortex007.jpg

On mature reflection perhaps this thread should be moved to the new forum?

• Advertisement

That is a fantastic post JD. You should put all these stories down in a book. I would buy it. The line about the "last bullet" had me rolling around laughing.

Advertisement