Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Peugeot 407 Radio (Blaupunkt RD4) Problem...

Options
  • 11-07-2011 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I've an issue with my RD4 head unit. Seemingly randomly, the on/off button (also functions as the volume control) has stopped working.

A quick look online shows that this is apparently not unheard of. That being said, the only solutions I can find are frustratingly non-descript, e.g. "Thanks! It was the plastic on/off button. I pulled it off and I was able use the radio again!". I can indeed take off the plastic dial and the switch underneath *feels* normal, but nothing happens.

Everything else that runs through the display works correctly (climate control, etc.) and I don't think it's fuse related since, according to the manual, the fuse that protects "audio functions" also protects other things such as stalk controls amongst other things which are working perfectly. I could be wrong in this logic, so if I am, please let me know.

I've also read online that it's possible to replace just the on/off switch by itself (without having to replace the entire head unit). I just want to exhaust all options before I pay a garage €45 to tell me I need to replace the radio / switch / whatever.

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

I've seen a few of these rd4 radios staying on or coming on when the doors were opened..:eek:..:)..sometimes if the on/off button is pressed into far can cause problems.
    I have never seen anyone repair the on/off buttons on these but i'd say they could be repaired..:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭WetDaddy

Thanks for the reply, Row. I'll try combinations of the on/off switch and open doors to see if anything peculiar happens :)

The button itself seems pretty solid upon inspection and the tactile feel of it is identical to as it was before it stopped working. After much investigation, I found out that the replacement part number is: 6564P3 - I'm not totally sure what this part looks like and what's involved in replacing it.

According to this site (), that part is now replaceable on its own. I shudder to think how I'll fair when I ring up a Peugeot garage and ask for their "expertise" on this; in the past, the two places I contacted have really not had a clue about anything to do with the radio support / servicing at all.

Oh, and a bonus question :) Am I correct in assuming that if the CD eject button is working correctly (and my iPod connection cable is charging my phone), there isn't anything wrong with the fuse(s)?

WetDaddy wrote: »
    Oh, and a bonus question :) Am I correct in assuming that if the CD eject button is working correctly (and my iPod connection cable is charging my phone), there isn't anything wrong with the fuse(s)?

I would say the problem if within the rd4 unit itself..Afaik the cd player has a separate feed..:confused:
    Maybe pm me your vin number and i'll dig out the elec drawings.
    Checked out that part no on servicebox and theres nothing showing up..:confused:

Thanks Row - I'll do that!

Here's where I got that part number from, by the way: http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/news/newflash/newflash.htm

The news article was from 2006, so perhaps the part number will have changed. I really hope I don't have to replace the entire radio. Apart from the cost of the unit itself, I'd have to get the AUX ports enabled again and get PP to code the radio to the car. Otherwise, I'd just try and grab a used RD4 from eBay.

I'd love to use this as an excuse to get the RT3 fitted, but from what I've read that's a bit of nightmare to do! :)

• Advertisement

Thanks Row - I'll do that!

Here's where I got that part number from, by the way: http://www.peugeotlogic.com/workshop/wshtml/news/newflash/newflash.htm

The news article was from 2006, so perhaps the part number will have changed. I really hope I don't have to replace the entire radio. Apart from the cost of the unit itself, I'd have to get the AUX ports enabled again and get PP to code the radio to the car. Otherwise, I'd just try and grab a used RD4 from eBay.

I'd love to use this as an excuse to get the RT3 fitted, but from what I've read that's a bit of nightmare to do! :)

The Rt3 takes alot of work to swap out..we had a member over at http://www.407owners.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=481&hilit=jbl
    who spent over a grand (sterling) on a rt3 upgrade + jbl sound system.

Think i would try to pick up a top of the range 407 before i'd tackle that..:)

That part no maybe available if you give your local peugeot garage a call.

After a couple of calls around to various garage's service departments, I learned that there's actually a fuse itself on the radio (which I would've found out if I'd pulled it out; my last step before going to a garage!).

I swapped the 10A fuse on the head-unit itself with a spare and, lo-and-behold, my car is once more full of noise! :D One point to note is that the fuse I removed *seems* OK. It looks to be in tact and a quick test with a multimeter would indicate that it's in tact, so it may also have been the simple re-seating of the loom etc. at the back of the RD4 may have been the cure. Either way, I'm happy!

The lad in Mongey Plunkett Motors was very helpful and had heard of the on/off switch problem before. However, he said that if you remove the plastic cover on the power switch and operate the actual metal switch underneath directly, it should work fine. If it does not (like in my case), then the problem isn't the "on/off switch problem" that the RD4 suffers from occasionally.

Thanks again for the help, Row!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 Davidtipp

After a couple of calls around to various garage's service departments, I learned that there's actually a fuse itself on the radio (which I would've found out if I'd pulled it out; my last step before going to a garage!).

I swapped the 10A fuse on the head-unit itself with a spare and, lo-and-behold, my car is once more full of noise! :D One point to note is that the fuse I removed *seems* OK. It looks to be in tact and a quick test with a multimeter would indicate that it's in tact, so it may also have been the simple re-seating of the loom etc. at the back of the RD4 may have been the cure. Either way, I'm happy!

The lad in Mongey Plunkett Motors was very helpful and had heard of the on/off switch problem before. However, he said that if you remove the plastic cover on the power switch and operate the actual metal switch underneath directly, it should work fine. If it does not (like in my case), then the problem isn't the "on/off switch problem" that the RD4 suffers from occasionally.

Thanks again for the help, Row!

The button problem on the 407 is a vey common problem. The button can be got for about a euro. There is a modified one.

Thanks Davidtipp. In my case, however, the button was fine. It was the fuse on the actual head-unit itself had blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Spikyfish

Hi there, I have the problem with the on/off switch and need to replace it. Could anyone tell me where to get the part from and if it's easy to do?

Many thanks
    Sf

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

My full time job is repairing all types of Car Audio --- radio/cd units. I have repaired many of the RD4 radios and never had to replace the on off volume control.

I can guarantee you that if your radio will not power on it is NOT the on off switch that is at fault.

Hiya,

thanks for the reply.

It's not that it won't power on. It's actually on all the time, I can't get it to turn off!! :)

There is definitely something wrong with the button as it feels loose, there's no volume control and it won't go backwards or forwards to click on or off. Based on what was being said above I got the impression this is quite a common problem?

Thanks

SP

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭iamthemanwork

Pull off the knob and see how the control behind it operates.

Spikyfish wrote: »
    Hiya,

thanks for the reply.

It's not that it won't power on. It's actually on all the time, I can't get it to turn off!! :)

There is definitely something wrong with the button as it feels loose, there's no volume control and it won't go backwards or forwards to click on or off. Based on what was being said above I got the impression this is quite a common problem?

Thanks

SP

Pull the button out fully...it may come off but just push it back in and it may work..:)
    Peugeot should have new buttons for the Rd4's as they do give trouble.

Okay, thanks, I'll give that a go!

Thanks, it's just the cap that's broken. Collecting a replacement one from Peugeot tonight @59p!

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Hi Guys,

I have a 2007 407 Coupe. It has the JBL RD4 system currently installed. Can someone advise me on options to replace this system with a double din system with nav. I know I could go buy a portable unit but I want the neat all in one system.

Many thanks
    TCP/IP

Hiya,

I came across this website when looking for solutions to my switch problem.

http://www.famousdehmous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/RD4-TO-RT3.key-direct-smaller1.pdf

Don't know if it's of any help or anything like what you're looking for.

SF

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Thanks Spikyfish I might be wrong but I was thinking a 3rd part Kenwood/Pioneer would be a better all in one unit though I could be wrong. I am welcome to all advice.

Thx

Spikyfish wrote: »
    Hiya,

I came across this website when looking for solutions to my switch problem.

http://www.famousdehmous.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/09/RD4-TO-RT3.key-direct-smaller1.pdf

Don't know if it's of any help or anything like what you're looking for.

SF

Tbh i have'nt seen many double din convertions on the 407's.

I wonder what these are like as i'm thinking of upgrading my own rd4 system in the near future.
    http://www.diycardvd.com/peugeot-407-car-gps-navi-dvd-player-radio-7-hd-screen-p-1431.html

I also found this on youtube but don't fancy plastering my dash...:D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3rxXSFwVc4

• Advertisement
Advertisement