Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day Of Champions! (July 30th)

Options
  • 08-07-2011 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭

So, the date and price is pretty much established; We'll be running it from 1pm till 7pm in the Exchange. Entry price will be as follows; 5 euro to go towards the exchange, with one double elim tournament entry costing 7 quid, entry to all double elim tournaments costing 10 on top of the 5. Single elim tournaments will be free entry to those who paid the 10, with no prize money. Prizes will be paid out with ratio to the total number of entrants based off the total prize pot (ie; if one game has 60% of all total entries, it will have 60% of the total pot). This means that for smaller tournaments, possibly only second and first or even just first will be paid out.
    Double elim tournaments will consist of;
    SSF4AE Teams
    MvC3
    BBCS2
    MK9
    Tekken 6
    ST (will be replaced by 3SOE if it is released prior to the tournament)
    Single Elim tournaments will be what ever game turns up on the day, but hopefully;
    AH3
    Garou
    3S (emulated on a laptop)

We might try to record some of the single elim tourney stuff, but priority lies with the double elims. Since we'll be allowed to setup from 1 on, the first tournament will be run from 1.30 onwards(hopefully. We might be delayed in setting up, getting the people in before us out, that kind of thing). Tournaments can be signed up for until immediately before they begin. The running order will be; BBCS2, MK9, MvC3, ST, Tekken 6, with each one starting on the hour (so BBCS2 will be at 1.30, MK9 will begin at 2.30 and so on). SSF4AE teams will run on a single setup during the entire day. We will attempt to have some of the matches recorded for it, during downtime on the recording screen. Single elim tourneys will be run starting from 3 (once everything else is set up and running, and we know all the games we have to run)
    All normal rules for tournaments apply. I could go dig them up, or just link to them :p

And now the part where you come in; set-ups. We will have 4 screens at the exchange, but no machines. If people would be willing to bring in xboxs/ps3s with the DLC on them for the various games that would be amazing, and those wishing to be even more awesome could bring spare monitors to play on too :D

What will you be bringing? 31 votes

I'll bring my pad/stick and some hype! Hurrah!
    0% 0 votes
    I'll bring my Xbox/PS3! I'm great like that!
    74% 23 votes
    I'm bringing a monitor! Because I am the best.
    22% 7 votes
    I'm sitting alone in a room because I can't stand hype.
    3% 1 vote

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

To answer Kneecaps question; yeah, if people decide to be jerks and only enter 1 game for 12 quid, then it'll be annoying. The price is planned out so that people will be more ready to put down 3 quid more to play in as many games as they like, rather than being limited to a single tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭UberPrinny_Baal

15 quid for all those tournaments?

I'm in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I'll enter:
    AE Teams (need a teammate)
    Tekken 6
    ST
    AH3
    Garou
    3rd Strike (PS3/PC please)

*edit*

Also I'll bring my 22" monitor.
    Maybe my laptop if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    I'll enter:
    AE Teams (need a teammate)
    Tekken 6
    ST
    AH3
    Garou

I'll be your teammate, if you'll let me:/

I'll enter that, mvc3, and learn off BBCS cause I'm awesome like that and MK9 cause dominating arcade cons MK tourney wasn't enoughXD

I may bring in a Xbox with DLC as long as a VGA set up is good

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Scavenger XIII

Moving house around that time but I shouldn't have problems getting down for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

If you're using PS3s with our monitors you'll need a VGA solution. You might also need independently powered usb hubs for the speakers if you're using the slim consoles as they have no usb port on the back.

If you're using PS3s with our monitors you'll need a VGA solution. You might also need independently powered usb hubs for the speakers if you're using the slim consoles as they have no usb port on the back.
    My monitor does sound over HDMI :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Get to ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭Linoud

Count me in for laughs. I have one question. What is a single double elimination tournament? I'm all up for paying the extra 3 euro to play in the others anyway, just you have me a little confused as to what that actually is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

"Single double elim" in the context of cost means that if you register for just 1 tournament, it costs 7 quid and you can't get into the single elim tournaments.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭Liquidswords

Think i'll head to this. Teams sounds like fun but would like to put a wee bit of effort into Tekken or ST and enter that too. Take it ST will be Anniversary Edition and not HDR?

Nah, AE is emulated; we should use HDR with ST characters & sprites IMO.

Any chance of a soft-ban on the Garou bosses (Grant & Kain)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Nutrient

Sounds tight, I'll make a vid to advertise the event:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

The word softban is meaningless in a tournament context Kiki.

HDR on classic is better than AE, though imo jap ST on a laptop would be best.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

Seeing as neither of them are top tier, I am guessing the answer is no.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    The word softban is meaningless in a tournament context Kiki.

Would be very difficult to record though.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,976 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Shall we also ban Kevin, Gato and B. Jenet who are better than both bosses?

Stop talking out of your hoop.

Every character except Butt and Dong should be banned, obviously.

Hm, an MK player from the North has contacted me about coming to this, he seems to have done some serious damage in online tournaments but he's not emerged here yet.

Kobelkog, anyone?

Kobelkog, anyone?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mo0bYDUsTis

(Picture unrelated)

• Advertisement

If you're going with HDR it should probably just be HDR it looks and feels daft playing in classic with the old sprites, they should have put in the old stage backgrounds and menus to make it more complete.

If you're going with HDR it should probably just be HDR it looks and feels daft playing in classic with the old sprites, they should have put in the old stage backgrounds and menus to make it more complete.

You don't have to play with the old sprites though? Classic means it has the mechanics and character attributes of ST as opposed to the HDR balance and mechanics changes. Changing the sprites is a separate thing (agreed that they should have put the old backgrounds in though).

I like that in HDR you can swap between the old and new sprites, balancing and music on an individual basis.

It's bizarre that stage backgrounds and VS portraits were left out of that though.

You don't have to play with the old sprites though? Classic means it has the mechanics and character attributes of ST as opposed to the HDR balance and mechanics changes. Changing the sprites is a separate thing (agreed that they should have put the old backgrounds in though).

Just checked how that looks and it's dead on. If that's how it's being run we should maybe do some online lobbies between now and DOC to get used to it.

Yeah I'd be up for that (or ST GGPO as always!).

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

The oginal stages where not designed for widescreen, I think they said they didn't have the buget to redo the old stages in widescreen mode. Least thats the excuse they gave.

Installing GGPO is sadly beyond my level of IT expertise. HDR on classic is going to have to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Has Cobelcog had his corn flakes for the tournament?

Watch out, here comes...

(Brace for worst joke ever)

Kellogcog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,878 ✭✭✭bush

Wow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Have been playing HDR a fair bit lately so if you see me in IRC I'm up for a game!

Advertisement