Fracking in Lough Allen - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x
Thread Closed  

29-06-2011, 23:05   #1
Chipboard
Closed Account

Fracking in Lough Allen

This is pretty unbelievable but I was watching CSI tonight (the episode was still on until a few minutes ago but I'm so shocked at what I've found that I turned down the volume to concentrate on this).

The episode was about fracking out in Nevada. In the story dead bodies start turning up and it seems that the people were being killed because they were trying to expose pollution caused by fracking which is a method for extracting natural gas from shale beds deep underground.

I googled fracking and basically what it involves is as follows; they drill down into the earth. Next they line the borehole with concrete. Then they detonate explosives to crack the shale beds. Then they pump down a mixture of chemicals, water and sand at high pressure. After the water and chemicals seep away the sand keeps the cracks in the shale open so that the gas can be extracted.

There is an obvious issue concerning where all the chemicals go.

In the story people were dying of cancer and other illnesses. The tap water was so contaminated that when one of the CSI's put a lighter to it, it went on fire. I was putting this down to the overactive imagination of the writers of CSI until I stumbled on the following. If you live in the North west especially Leitrim or Sligo, you should definitely listen to this;

http://tnsradio.ning.com/video/frack...r-gas-in-lough

(when you get to the end of the first segment, if you wait, part II appears)

The programme (Drivetime with Mary Wilson) which was aired on Radio 1 a few weeks ago confirms the health risks, the environmental efffects and even the fact that tap water in areas of the States wherre this has been done, has become flammable.

I can't believe that the Numpty's in Leinster House issued licences to company's to carry this out. Are they looking for another Bellanaboy?

What are other people's views on this?
Advertisement
29-06-2011, 23:15   #2
tuppence
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipboard View Post
This is pretty unbelievable but I was watching CSI tonight (the episode was still on until a few minutes ago but I'm so shocked at what I've found that I turned down the volume to concentrate on this).

The episode was about fracking out in Nevada. In the story dead bodies start turning up and it seems that the people were being killed because they were trying to expose pollution caused by fracking which is a method for extracting natural gas from shale beds deep underground.

I googled fracking and basically what it involves is as follows; they drill down into the earth. Next they line the borehole with concrete. Then they detonate explosives to crack the shale beds. Then they pump down a mixture of chemicals, water and sand at high pressure. After the water and chemicals seep away the sand keeps the cracks in the shale open so that the gas can be extracted.

There is an obvious issue concerning where all the chemicals go.

In the story people were dying of cancer and other illnesses. The tap water was so contaminated that when one of the CSI's put a lighter to it, it went on fire. I was putting this down to the overactive imagination of the writers of CSI until I stumbled on the following. If you live in the North west especially Leitrim or Sligo, you should definitely listen to this;

http://tnsradio.ning.com/video/frack...r-gas-in-lough

(when you get to the end of the first segment, if you wait, part II appears)

The programme (Drivetime with Mary Wilson) which was aired on Radio 1 a few weeks ago confirms the health risks, the environmental efffects and even the fact that tap water in areas of the States wherre this has been done, has become flammable.

I can't believe that the Numpty's in Leinster House issued licences to company's to carry this out. Are they looking for another Bellanaboy?

What are other people's views on this?

And when people are finished listening to the Drive time documentary the Gasland film is on line to watch on this new website which also has a facebook page for further information.
http://what-the-frack.org/gas-land-the-movie/

Btw this is an issue for Donegal as well as, Sligo, and Leitrim, etc

Last edited by tuppence; 29-06-2011 at 23:18.
04-07-2011, 22:06   #3
revontulet

this is really horrible. can't believe anyone in ireland is going to let this happen. has the fracking started already?
04-07-2011, 22:55   #4
Chipboard
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by revontulet View Post
this is really horrible. can't believe anyone in ireland is going to let this happen. has the fracking started already?
No, the licences they have limit them to drilling 200 ft for research purposes but I hear they have started doing that.

I spoke to a Fine Gael TD on Saturday about it. I was seeking his support for the anti side. He wasn't supportive. The greed has started already. If thisnt stopped now they will be at it until the whole region is destroyed.

We wanted to buy a house and settle up here but we re not even looking at houses in Leitrim now - you couldn't consider it until you know which way this is going to go.
04-07-2011, 23:59   #5
ajjmk

Saw a poster about this in Subway today..
Thanks from:
Advertisement
05-07-2011, 18:56   #6
revontulet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipboard View Post
No, the licences they have limit them to drilling 200 ft for research purposes but I hear they have started doing that.

How can one find out where they are drilling for research? how dangerous/polluting are these 200ft test drillings?
05-07-2011, 21:34   #7
Chipboard
Closed Account

I doubt if the test drilling will pollute but if they determine that extraction is viable that will be the end of us as they will do anything they can to get their hands on it. If this is going to be stopped it has to be stopped now.
05-07-2011, 21:44   #8
rainyrun

this is really shocking!!.. surely people will take to the streets over this.. it appears to be even worse then what was happening in mayo with the shell line!!.. i am horrified that this is even being entertained by our politicians...
05-07-2011, 22:02   #9
toby08

politicians dont care only when it becomes a scandal will anything happen eg dead bodies
Advertisement
05-07-2011, 22:57   #10
muffler

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby08 View Post
will anything happen eg dead bodies
Can you explain that comment to me please?
06-07-2011, 01:11   #11
tuppence
Banned

This is the official petition now online. Sign and share.

http://www.gopetition.com/petitions/...n-ireland.html
(2) thanks from:
06-07-2011, 02:09   #12
MeerKat17

This is incredibly shocking, I watched Gasland when it came out but never thought it could possibly come to Ireland, I guess I was wrong. It would cause to our health not to mention the environment. I really hope this does not go ahead, but with the fat cats in this country no doubt it will. Which is more important, our health, the health and well being of future generations and the environment, or making the rich richer?
Thanks from:
06-07-2011, 21:16   #13
toby08

Quote:
Originally Posted by toby08 View Post
politicians dont care only when it becomes a scandal will anything happen eg dead bodies
politicians as I said dont care this will be allowed go ahead it is only when an incident such as gas release, fire etc. and someone gets hurt or injured will anyone in authority take notice.It is a dangerous form of exploration we should bear the following in mind
the accident black spot is never dealt with until a tradgedy occurs, the same with school busses ,nursing homes the list is endless
07-07-2011, 10:50   #14
garth-marenghi

Did anyone else see the propaganda, sorry i mean well researched non partisan article in the Leitrim Observer yesterday in which Richard Moorman of Tamboran was interviewed?

It was pretty shocking stuff. Leitrim will be the epicentre of exploration (according to Moorman he likes what he sees there, and the best gas is in Leitrim) with potentially hundreds of wells been built with no reference to how this will impact on the visual beauty of the county, pollution, huge volumes of traffic etc. He also doesnt anticipate any problems with the EPA and getting a license will be "straightforward". I hope it is anything but straightforward. These should be some of the most stringent environmental checks carried out in the state. His confidence is very disconcerting.

In refernece to the charges laid against Fracking that it caused environmental and health damage he stated this is due to poor workmanship and malpractice. He must have a poor memory as he (and the Leitrim Observer) neglected to metion that the company for which he previously worked, South-Western Energy is the subject of lawsuits in America for damage caused by Fracking.

Maybe this is what he is talking about when he states that "we dont want people to hate us, we want to do the right thing from day one".
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-br...cking-551.html

This article in the Observer was total pr spin and weak journalistic work with Moorman not challenged to any great extent on his assertions. Or maybe we were supposed to be reassured about our concerns when Moorman assured the readers that they will be using "fancy equipment" in the process.

http://www.leitrimobserver.ie:80/new...asin_1_2838663
07-07-2011, 21:47   #15
toby08

followed your threads and what the whole fracking scenario seems to be a fiasco.The theory is well presented and gives a very safe impression but everywhere these operations have taken place there seems to have been issues.I think our local councils and government have in these instances to err on the side of caution.
Thanks from:
Thread Closed