Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rightyabe's Guide to a DIY Working Holiday Visa.

Options
  • 28-06-2011 5:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭

**NB: This is my experience, it may not be to everyones liking and I'm sure you will do some things different to me but I just thought I'd give something back to Boards.ie for all the help I got on this forum.

Ok like me you probably have heard all these great stories about the land down under, the promise of unlimited work and endless craic, the photos and boasting comments on facebook. You’ve probably Googled tens or hundreds of times how to get there, with more questions than answers appearing. Well don’t worry it’s not that hard, even a travel-fobe like me can do it. All this cost me about €1,000 and should leave me well set up when I land. I’m heading in August and I think I’m well prepared and I done it all by myself. My plan from the start is to head to Perth and look for construction work in Perth for a few months to earn a few dollars or to do my specific work somewhere in regional Western Australia so this is my experience of getting everything sorted. Of all the things I ordered online I never had any problems and would recommend these companies but obviously I have nothing to compare them against so I’m sure all companies are good.

The WHV.
    First thing first is to get the visa sorted, my advice is to do it yourself. Companies like Visafirst and USIT offer visa package deals which are good but are way over priced. My first bit of advice is get it a few months before you plan to travel (you have 12 month to get your freckled ass to Australia from the day your visa is granted) as I learned the flights are cheapest if you book them at least 2 months before you travel, so get your visa first. Just go to www.immi.gov.au and fill in the application form online it only takes about 30 minutes but be careful and dot your i’s and cross your t’s if you know what I mean. It costs Aus$235 and mine was granted in 6 hours so check your e-mail and see. Also note if you’re planning on working with children while in Australia you will need a chest x-ray, This can only be done in the Mater Private Hospital in Dublin and another Hospital in Cork. It costs €144.

The Flights.
    Next thing is the flights, use flight search engines like www.skyscanner.ie www.kayak.com www.lastminute.com these websites search all the travel companies and find 100’s of flights. I personally ended up booking through www.e-travel.ie which I found very easy. Things I watched out for when booking flights was the stopover times at the airports, too little time and you could miss your connecting flight, too much time and it could mean sitting around a airport for 12 hours. As I was on a tight budget a stopover in any place was not a option although If I had the money I probably would have spent a day or 2 in Singapore. I personally was on a tight budget and wanted to get to Australia as fast as possible. My flights cost €670 travelling Aer Lingus from Dublin-London Heathrow, London-Singapore on a Singapore Airlines A380-300 and then Singapore-Perth again with Singapore Airlines.

The Hostel.
    If you’re lucky you might have mates who can pick you up at the airport when you land and give you a place to stay. If not then you’ll probably book a hostel for a few nights. Good places I found for reviews was www.lonleyplanet.com. For more reviews and for booking I used www.hostelbookers.com and www.hostelworld.com. All you pay is a 10% deposit with the remaining to be paid when you land. I booked the hostel for 4 days instead of a week or 2 just in case I didn’t like it. I booked a private double bed room with en-suite for €234.

The Travel Insurance.
    If you read threads on here you will know that Ireland has a agreement with Australia for Medical arrangements, so some people argue its worthless getting backpacker insurance if you’re covered anyway. Me being me I thought I’d get some to cover my ass just in case Murphy’s Law appeared. Now I’m no expert but looking through the Terms & Conditions from my insurance which I got from www.backpackestravelinsurance.ie there seems to be a lot so they probably have a get out clause somewhere, but it’s better to have some insurance just in case. I was told to buy my insurance as soon as I booked my flights, but as it was 2 months until I flew I decided to buy it for 2 weeks before I flew out. Total cost was €130. Also check www.multitrip.com and www.getcover.ie

The Bank Account.
    I chose to open a account with NAB, www.nab.com.au/movingtoaustralia there was no real reason apart from its free to open (which most are) and it can be done online and it comes with a Visa Debit card. A handy tool when choosing a bank was Google maps as you can zoom into the town or city your planning on moving to and check if there is a branch or ATM’s there. Some banks offer a free account but start charging you after a couple of months, so watch out. All I had to do was fill in the application and 2 days later a e-mail came with my account number, Sort Code, Swift Bic/Bank ID etc. Then 2 weeks before I’m due to land in Perth I have too e-mail them to arrange to meet with their Migration banker in a certain branch in Perth to verify my account and collect my card.

Tax File Number (TFN)
    This is the only thing that required a Australian Address, so unless you have a address to stay at you cannot get it. Friends of mine who were getting one in the Tax office in Brisbane were told to complete the application online on the computers in the office. You can use your hostels address and the owners of the hostel will most likely post it on to you if you have got a permanent place to stay as it can take a few weeks to get your TFN. There is a company that will get one for you but they charge $55 to get it and e-mail it to you. There is no panic to get one as there is a grace period but it should be the first thing you get after you get to your hostel. Check out www.ato.gov.au/individuals

The Sim Card
    I’m with Vodafone here in Ireland, so to unlock my phone all I had to do was log into My Vodafone account and request it to be unlocked. Once it was unlocked I can just buy any sim card in Australia for about $3 and use it. As for phone companies in Australia I believe Telestra have the best coverage in Western Australia and if you’re planning on heading out of the city I think you need to have a Telestra phone that’s Next G enabled, which gives you greater coverage. So you will probably have to buy a phone at some stage if you’re heading out of a city or town.

The White Card
    As I was going to be working in construction I was required to have a White Card it’s the same as a Safe Pass in Ireland. This too can be done online for $90. I used www.bluedogtraining.co.au. Basically you register with them and do the course, you can save your progress and come back to it at any time, it took me about 90 minutes to complete. Once it’s finished you print of a Declaration form and sign it and get somebody else to sign it to say it was you who done the test. You then scan it and scan your Passport Bio page and attach them to a e-mail and send it to the company. The next day you should get a reply saying that you got your Card. They also post the card to Ireland. The card has no expiry date and it allows you to work in construction in Western Australia. Some jobs may require more tickets and other states have different cards etc.

The Cost
    Working Holiday Visa --- € 171
    One way flight to Perth --- € 670
    10% Deposit for Hostel --- € 24
    1 year Travel Insurance --- € 130
    White Card --- € 65
    Sim Card --- € 3
    Bank Account --- Free
    TFN --- Free

Total --- € 1, 063

Tips, Myths, Do’s and Don’ts.

· Stick to www.immi.gov.au for the facts.
    · Research, Research, Research, Google is your best friend.
    · Have a Visa Debit or a credit card they’re very handy for online transactions.
    · Stay away from companies like Visafirst and USIT it’s VERY easy to DIY.
    · There is a legal requirement to have $5,000 to enter Australia, and your chances of getting asked are slim to zero. Although going over without at least €2,500-3,000 is unadvisable.
    · You do not have to have a return ticket.
    · Don’t listen to your mates in the pub who tell you about these “new visa’s” and “there not letting anymore Irish over” stories.
    · Specific work for your 2nd WHV is not limited to fruit picking and farm work, you can for example work in construction in regional Australia.
    · All of South Australia and the Northern Territory is “Regional” including Adelaide & Darwin.
    · A car could be a good idea if you can afford it as if your boss on a farm is treating you bad you can always head in your car and go whereas if you have no car he knows you’re stuck 100’s of miles from transport.
    · You can fit approx 90 islands the size of Ireland into Australia.
    · Use the search function on Boards to look up old threads that are still relevant, plenty of information from people who have been there and got the t-shirt.
    · Don`t cheat to get your 2nd WHV, heard many pub stories about lads paying off farmers. I personally know 3 who tried and failed and are stuck in Ireland now.
    · Jobs in “the mines” are well paid but its hard work with long hours and may look good from your computer in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

Excellent post!

I have also added this to the FAQ sticky

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

I wish you had of done this up about3 weeks ago :( Meh it cost me a little more but atleast im off in 6 days.

This will be VERY helpfull for people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭Munster_Gal

Highly recommend applying for the visa direct as well. Mine was approved in 15 mins!!
    Much better than paying a fortune for the privilege!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Ha ha, funny, I applied myself while i was living in New Zealand. 2 weeks had passed and nothing. I contacted the imm dept, they said fill this bit in. I did, then nothing again!! when i got in touch the next time, 12 hours later I had it!
    Sorted in the end but keep on it if you dont hear anything.
    eh, probably didnt help that I applied on the 23rd December:p

I do like the Mantra of the OP. Do it yourself. This is the way. You dont need to pay tour companies or other third party companies to organize your trip. Get the lonely planit, speak to people in hostels, go to information centers, etc. Plan YOUR trip and not rely on someone elses. Its been done before and most certainly will be done again!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 greenline

Good post. Want to agree about the point about travel insurance- get it! You are entitled to emergency treatement free in a public hospital but it is really not clever to rely on that. I know too many people who did not have cover when they just got sick, or had big costs after leaving hospital (drugs, physio etc) which are NOT covered. (Plus- did you know you have to pay for an ambulance in this lucky land?!! Not cheap either.)

Get the insurance. You are a long way from home if things go pear shaped. (And it is a total cringe having to ask your mammy to bail you out at your age!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭spunkymunky

Oh, if you havnt been the dentist in a while do it before you head off. Quite expensive here, i know first hand :

• Registered Users Posts: 2,367 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Everything you need you know right there folks

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Specific work for your 2nd WHV is not limited to fruit picking and farm work, you can for example work in construction in regional Australia.
    · All of South Australia and the Northern Territory is “Regional” including Adelaide & Darwin.

Great post, thanks for taking the time to put all this up!

I'm interested in this point above however. You don't need to do farm work to get the 2nd WHV? Obviously it couldn't be as simple as getting any old job in the Northern territory to be eligible for a 2nd WHV... could it??

Great post, thanks for taking the time to put all this up!

I'm interested in this point above however. You don't need to do farm work to get the 2nd WHV? Obviously it couldn't be as simple as getting any old job in the Northern territory to be eligible for a 2nd WHV... could it??

http://www.immi.gov.au/visitors/working-holiday/417/eligibility-second.htm

Have a read - and no it's not that simple

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭patsy mulcaghy

great post! very well thought out and explained :pac:

• Advertisement

hussey wrote: »

Ah I see!

Fair play to yourself and the other mods.. your like un-paid guidance Councilors :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

A few questions:

*I'm planning on heading over myself next April and was wondering how much should I bring over in cash to start off? I was thinking about 1000 Dollars in cash and the rest in traveler's cheques to be deposited into a bank account when I get there. Is this a sound plan?

*Without going to much detail - my work record is.... rather poor ( I mean I haven't had a job of any sort in quite some time owing to college and poor choices where I live. ) Now I'll be open to doing anything but will this hinder my ability to get a job in Australia owing to lack of references?

A few questions:

*I'm planning on heading over myself next April and was wondering how much should I bring over in cash to start off? I was thinking about 1000 Dollars in cash and the rest in traveler's cheques to be deposited into a bank account when I get there. Is this a sound plan?

*Without going to much detail - my work record is.... rather poor ( I mean I haven't had a job of any sort in quite some time owing to college and poor choices where I live. ) Now I'll be open to doing anything but will this hinder my ability to get a job in Australia owing to lack of references?

Why Carry cheques? With Internet banking you can transfer money from your Irish account into an Aussie account - even if you are still in ireland as it is possible to open an Aussie before you get there.

On the job front, i'm guessing Australia is like any where else in the world in regards to job hunting. Without experience, qualifications and references I'd imagine you would find it hard to find a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 geminiii

Great post. Thanks a million. I think I will definitely DIY it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,946 ✭✭✭duffman13

rightyabe wrote: »
    · There is a legal requirement to have $5,000 to enter Australia, and your chances of getting asked are slim to zero. Although going over without at least €2,500-3,000 is unadvisable.
    · You do not have to have a return ticket.

What are the odds of getting checked, im going with about $5000 to Oz and not booking a return flight however a friend of mine is telling me they regularly check this stuff.

duffman13 wrote: »
    What are the odds of getting checked, im going with about $5000 to Oz and not booking a return flight however a friend of mine is telling me they regularly check this stuff.

rarely, but highly recommend you have at least $5k

flights not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 39,039 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you have $5000 and you get check you're fine. That's all you need.
    You don't need a return flight, even if checked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 SlamDunk

Question about having the $5K - Did you just print a bank statement of your Irish Bank Account?

OP have you used Currency fair to transfer money to an Aussie account? Have registered with them - just not sure about how it works?

Thanks a million for all the advice
    I have my Visa - it actually was only a little more than yours through Visa First.

SlamDunk wrote: »
    Question about having the $5K - Did you just print a bank statement of your Irish Bank Account?

OP have you used Currency fair to transfer money to an Aussie account? Have registered with them - just not sure about how it works?

Thanks a million for all the advice
    I have my Visa - it actually was only a little more than yours through Visa First.

You can print off a statement, but they don't ask you unless you look very dodgy, or if you have access to internet banking you can use this to show them.

Also I would do a search for FOREX on boards - if visa first recommended currency fair chances are they are way more expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭jackbhoy

hussey wrote:

Also I would do a search for FOREX on boards - if visa first recommended currency fair chances are they are way more expensive

I have a currencyfair account and find them pretty decent. I didn't have any involvement with visafirst though so no idea if they charge for setting it up, it should be free.

OP, it's pretty straightforward to use.
    1. Transfer money from your Irish bank account to currency fair
    2. Look up currency you want, choose best rate and amount you want.
    3. Your cf fair account is then credited with this amount which you can transfer to your Aus account, again takes a day or two.

My only advice would be to keep an eye on rates over a week or so as sometimes you can get very good deal, if someone needs to exchange currency quickly they will offer better rate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭Ian Mac

Regarding the TFN , I have an address which I will be using on arrival in 3 weeks...

On application though it seems I can't do it till I arrive in the country it asks for an ABN or something similar.

Is this granted to me in Customs?? It's the only thing really I have left to sort out...

Nothing to do with customs, you can get a TFN outside, but takes a few days so maybe wait until you arrive (as are you really going to work with in a few days?)

ABN is a business number

hussey wrote: »
    Nothing to do with customs, you can get a TFN outside, but takes a few days so maybe wait until you arrive (as are you really going to work with in a few days?)

ABN is a business number

Could you direct me as to where I apply then. I be more than happy working straight away have a few job interviews lined up and that.

Appreciate the response.

:)

Ian Mac wrote: »
    Could you direct me as to where I apply then. I be more than happy working straight away have a few job interviews lined up and that.

Appreciate the response.

:)

I second this - I'd like to have mine before I head over as well but everywhere I look says that you need to have an address is Oz and i'm hoping to start working pretty much straight away

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Apply for your TFN here

https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1

You have to be in Australia to apply

Or use this one for applications outside Australia

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/non_resident_tfn_application.pdf

mandrake04 wrote: »
    Apply for your TFN here

So it still stands you can't apply for it out of Australia then... :confused:

Apply for your TFN here

Or use this one for applications outside Australia

http://www.ato.gov.au/content/downloads/non_resident_tfn_application.pdf

Has nothing to do with temporary visitors on a WHV...

So the final answer is , it can't be done until you arrive. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ian Mac wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with temporary visitors on a WHV...

So the final answer is , it can't be done until you arrive. :rolleyes:

Thanks anyway :)

Thats it

Thats it

Booooo to that!

• Advertisement

Guys believe me YOU DO NOT WANT TO WORK STRAIGHT AWAY. I know you are all very keen and say I want to hit the ground running, but nothing will prepare you for 24hr jet lag. You're body clock will be screwed up, you will be tired at 2pm and wide awake at 5am.

You'll want to give yourself some time to recover

Advertisement