Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hewitt College or Bruce College?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 7:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭

Has anyone an opinion on Bruce College or Hewitt College in Cork?

My son is thinking about a move in September since his form in school has dipped this year.
    I know that these schools are expensive and I'm just wondering if they are worth the money. He's going into Leaving Cert in Sept.

anyone been in either school...was the experience good or bad??:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,408 ✭✭✭Sunny!!

bruce from my experience is excellent seen constant improvement great atmosphere, great teachers well worth it:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

Bruce college is MUCH better than Hewitt.

!!! wrote: »
    Bruce college is MUCH better than Hewitt.

agreed the teachers are really great the english, maths and accounting teachers are superb

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭clartharlear

An important consideration is what subjects your son will do for his leaving. Both schools usually publish their results in August.
    eg
    http://www.hewittcollege.net/PreviousResults.php
    http://www.brucecollege.ie/magico_builder/www/index.asp?wbid=79&pgid=246336&spgid=0

Also, you can set up interviews to see if the schools would be a good social/emotional setting (essential for psychological support in this tough year!) during the summer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

Bruce all the way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

Just finished after 2 years in Hewitt myself, and would highly recommend it. Great atmosphere and the teachers are brilliant.

As was mentioned above, the subjects offered is an important factor. You can see the subjects offered by Hewitt here: http://www.hewittcollege.net/Subjects.php. I know that religion will also be offered there, starting next year.

Regardless of which one you choose I would say that they're worth the money. It's obviously not cheap, but the standard of teaching and the atmosphere in general is significantly better. Don't think I would have done nearly as well in my old school.

Hope this helps!

from what ive heard hewitt is excellent as well, i loved the atmosphere in bruce but between both youve great choice. The subjects are fairly important to be picking. The results show enough tbh, there great places:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 delousional

I'm in St.Angelas, right between bruce and hewitt.
    Hewitt is just party party party, while bruce is MUCH more focused. They have plenty of study hours and I had grinds there from one of their teachers, which were excellent.
    Bruce is definitely to be recommended!

<modsnip>

Please don't make those kind of accusations without something very solid to back them up!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭conorod

I'm in St.Angelas, right between bruce and hewitt.
    Hewitt is just party party party, while bruce is MUCH more focused. They have plenty of study hours and I had grinds there from one of their teachers, which were excellent.
    Bruce is definitely to be recommended!
    <modsnip>
    Have to disagree with the bit in bold. Having never been to Bruce, I'm certainly in no position to compare the two, but Hewitt was certainly very focused in my 2 years there.

[/QUOTE]<modsnip>

Please don't make those kind of accusations without something very solid to back them up!
    [/QUOTE]

I do have something to back them up, as I'm related to the Principal and was actually told personally. I should have mentioned that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭LC2010HIS

I always went to Bruce for "back to school" classes etc

I thought it was great and the teachers were brilliant!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25 Laika_

Been in Hewitt for the last two years, excellent school all round. :D Had interviews for Hew and Bruce 2 years ago and decided on Hewitt. Definitely would not agree with "party party party" atmosphere at all, I found it very focused. You won't find a better french teacher in the country, drop me a PM if I can help, subjects I do: art, hist, english, chemistry, biology, french, irish, geo (all honours). Can't really speak for any of the other subjects I'm afraid.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

I do have something to back them up, as I'm related to the Principal and was actually told personally. I should have mentioned that!
    So when the solicitor's letter arrives in Boards offices, I should tell them it's ok because delousional, the person behind an anonymous account on the internet who I don't know from Adam (or indeed Eve), told me that s/he was related to the Principal and was actually told personally?!

I suggest you adjust your definition of "very solid".

So when the solicitor's letter arrives in Boards offices, I should tell them it's ok because delousional, the person behind an anonymous account on the internet who I don't know from Adam (or indeed Eve), told me that s/he was related to the Principal and was actually told personally?!

I suggest you adjust your definition of "very solid".

There's no need to get so aggressive. I was only telling the person who posted the question what I know, and I apologise if I temporarily put you in danger of a solicitors letter, but your sarcasm isn't appreciated, or very professional.

For heaven's sake, I'm not being aggressive; I'm simply encouraging you to *think* about what you're posting! :)

And remember, *you* are responsible for what *you* post ... while Boards protects the anonymity of its users in all normal circumstances, if a court order is issued for the identity of a poster, that's that. And while it doesn't often happen, it can.

So please accept that I am as much protecting you as I am anyone else.

Now ... can we leave it at that?

we shouldnt go off the point :p both of the colleges are excellent and even if the accusation is true or not, hewitt is still a great place and its proven!

You're just being personal now. Whatever!

0_o

/counts to 10

ANYWAY!! ... the OP asked: Hewitt College or Bruce College?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Clickclack

I'd reccomend Dean. Its smaller, atleast 2 grand less expensive, and more supportive.
    I'd also be wary of some posters here reccomending either Bruce or Hewitt incase they have a vested interest (more likely than you think). Hewitt does a free trial week anyway, I don't know about Bruce.

Clickclack wrote: »
    I'd reccomend Dean. Its smaller, atleast 2 grand less expensive, and more supportive.
    I'd also be wary of some posters here reccomending either Bruce or Hewitt incase they have a vested interest (more likely than you think). Hewitt does a free trial week anyway, I don't know about Bruce.

:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 P_mcgrath

<modsnip>

[/QUOTE]

I do have something to back them up, as I'm related to the Principal and was actually told personally. I should have mentioned that![/Quote]

Hi there, I am the Principal of Hewitt, and as I am not from Cork nor do I have any cousins in St. Angela's, I think it is fair to say that your comment is unfounded.

I won't be sending any solicitor's letters! However, there is not much point posting a comment just for the sake of writing something. Boards.ie is a really valuable resource for members who have genuine queries, for example, I have been following the hpat thread since the results, and it has been very informative.

Anyway, I would appreciate if you deleted your party pArty party remark. Teachers and students in hewitt work very hard, and their excellent results are hard earned and well deserved.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement