Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

VW Golf GTI - Engine and Epc light both on

• 24-06-2011 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭

I have a VW Golf GTI and both the EPC and Engine light came on yesterday while driving home. I brought the car to a dealer i normally get my car serviced with and they couldn't see any issue and just said i need to bring to a VW dealer as the epu software probably needs to be just updated?

The car is driving fine and the turbo is working. I have it booked into a VW dealer for tuesday but hoping somone might have an idea? I google the error and it throws up all different opinions from software update to a new MAF.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,822 ✭✭✭✭EPM

When I got that on a Leon it was a Lambda sensor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,724 ✭✭✭Vanbis

EPM wrote: »
    When I got that on a Leon it was a Lambda sensor.

My first thought was a sensor of someone sort. Hopefully its something as simple as that.

Thanks EPM.

If it is it's a quick job but the car has to be cooled down otherwise you could burn yourself off the exhaust...price around for the part though as they are quite costly from dealers. I wouldn't go the spurious route though.

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭ipnface

I had a recent problem like this with a 02 golf and they couldn't find an engine problem, it turns out the wiring running from the dashboard to underneath the engine had become frayed and was shorting and sending wrong signals to the dashboard. It's worth having it checked as it's an easy fix if it happens to be the problem.

If it is it's a quick job but the car has to be cooled down otherwise you could burn yourself off the exhaust...price around for the part though as they are quite costly from dealers. I wouldn't go the spurious route though.

I'm not sure exactly what the problem is and won't know until it is checked on Tuesday in a VW dealer. I had a garage connect it to a computer this morning and they couldn't see any issue only one error but they thought they'd need to update the software.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

What ever the issue with the main dealer make sure you get to see the actual text of the fault and don't just take their word for it.

NO point googlinng EPC lights or engine lights as there are porbably 100 different reasons the ECU with illuminate them from simple to very un simple :D

Is it a MK4 or MK5 GTI ? The fact the car is driving fine is usually a good sign.

tossy wrote: »
    What ever the issue with the main dealer make sure you get to see the actual text of the fault and don't just take their word for it.

NO point googlinng EPC lights or engine lights as there are porbably 100 different reasons the ECU with illuminate them from simple to very un simple :D

Is it a MK4 or MK5 GTI ? The fact the car is driving fine is usually a good sign.

Its a MK5 and its driving fine no problems and turbo is working as well. No odd nosie or sounds coming from the car either. The only thing i can think of that may of caused this is i had to slam on the brakes the other day because of some idiot who decided he wanted to stop for no reason other then to rubber neck.

Vanbis wrote: »
    Its a MK5 and its driving fine no problems and turbo is working as well. No odd nosie or sounds coming from the car either. The only thing i can think of that may of caused this is i had to slam on the brakes the other day because of some idiot who decided he wanted to stop for no reason other then to rubber neck.

Id be very surprised if that was the reason.My mate had an Engine and EPC light on his MK5 GTI recently turned out to be an issue with the fuel pump.

Normally the case is the EPC light is as a result of the engine light i.e something goes wrong with say a sensor (this triggers the engine light) as a result of this change in parameters the ECU has to adjust fueling and or air or even warm air being injected into the exhaust system and this triggers the EPC light.

Is it using more petrol than normal?

Id be very surprised if that was the reason.My mate had an Engine and EPC light on his MK5 GTI recently turned out to be an issue with the fuel pump.

I would be myself but the light only came on later in the day or it was when i noticed the EPC light. The engine light came after when i was driving it that evening.
    Normally the case is the EPC light is as a result of the engine light i.e something goes wrong with say a sensor (this triggers the engine light) as a result of this change in parameters the ECU has to adjust fueling and or air or even warm air being injected into the exhaust system and this triggers the EPC light.

I'm hoping it is just a sensor and nothing more serious.

• Advertisement

Is it using more petrol than normal?

I actually checked that this morning when i was driving around and it didn't seem to be. There is at least half a tank left so about 380km it has down as left currently which to me is correct.

Look the only way to know for certain is have it scanned for faults.If you are in the Kildare area i could scan it for you over the weekend at least then you can approach VW armed with a bit of knowledge (which they hate :D )

Look the only way to know for certain is have it scanned for faults.If you are in the Kildare area i could scan it for you over the weekend at least then you can approach VW armed with a bit of knowledge (which they hate :D )

I got it scanned by a non VW dealer locally who couldn't see any except one fault but wasn't sure. He said that EPU might need to be updated but other then i needed to bring it to a dealer.

I'm in Dublin so thanks for the offer but i'm not going to drive it around to much until its checked on Tuesday.

What was the one fault he saw?

Fair enough on not driving it,im in Dublin Sunday but going to croke park :D

What was the one fault he saw?

Fair enough on not driving it,im in Dublin Sunday but going to croke park :D

To be honest he didn't really say and i don't think he was to sure. All he said was that EPU software probably needs to be updated which make no sense to me.

Take that was on last week or so i thought :p

Actually i was on Ebay looking at the Car fault readers you can buy, would anyone recommened these or are they any use?

For VAG family cars i wouldn't look anywhere else but ross tech and their VCDS software,you can also do most OBD cars with VCDS - i have a copy myself.

The ebay ones are great for basic faults but you are limited in what you can reset/change/adapt with the shareware versions.

I dropped my car into the dealer this morning. They told me that there was a recall on the car to replace all the coils and update the EPU software free of charge. Turned out it was just that causing the errors. No more lights and they cleaned the alloys all up, sparkling too which saves me the trouble.

Delighted :)

My engine light came on again today. I got myself a fault code reader and it popped up with the error P0171 System Too Lean (Bank 1). I had the same issue before a few weeks back with the engine light but i the had the garage check it and i think it was the same error code because they mentioned the air intake issue and replaced a sensor. All was good until today.

I really don't want to bring it back to them because i am sure its the same error. I was reading up about the error and i see the MAF sensor is mentioned and about cleaning it. Just wondering if this is a good idea? Id be fairly confident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

In my experience cleaning the MAF on a VAG car rarely does any good and sometimes results in them failing completely. System too lean code usually means an air leak on the intake side or on the exhaust side before the pre cat lambda sensor.

In my experience cleaning the MAF on a VAG car rarely does any good and sometimes results in them failing completely. System too lean code usually means an air leak on the intake side or on the exhaust side before the pre cat lambda sensor.

I had the lambda sensor replaced about a month ago when the Engine light came on and they checked it on their computer advised me it was lambda sensor.

• Advertisement

Lambda sensors are probably the most commonly misdiagnosed part on a car. When codes that mention the lambda pop up very often the first thing a garage does is replace that sensor. I would say about 75% of the time a code that mentions a lambda sensor does not actually mean that sensor is faulty. Most of the time the sensor is doing its job correctly and it is something else that causes the lambda readings to be out of spec and the code to be logged. It sounds like this may be one of those situations.

Lambda sensors are probably the most commonly misdiagnosed part on a car. When codes that mention the lambda pop up very often the first thing a garage does is replace that sensor. I would say about 75% of the time a code that mentions a lambda sensor does not actually mean that sensor is faulty. Most of the time the sensor is doing its job correctly and it is something else that causes the lambda readings to be out of spec and the code to be logged. It sounds like this may be one of those situations.

I had a bad feeling on the day they told me the error, it just didn't sit right with me but what do i know. I think it's probably best i bring it to a VW dealer or get a second opinion once it comes back on.

Thanks.

No problem. How is the car running? Any issues apart from the light being on?

No problem. How is the car running? Any issues apart from the light being on?

To be honest i thought it was using more petrol then normal was a bit slower when the engine light came on first a few weeks back but that might just be me. I defo think it must be using more petrol but the error would explain that one.

I would suggest inspecting all the hoses on the intake/vacuum system to see if any are split. Maybe even have an intake system leak test done. After that it may turn out to be a MAF issue.

I would suggest inspecting all the hoses on the intake/vacuum system to see if any are split. Maybe even have an intake system leak test done. After that it may turn out to be a MAF issue.

I'll have a look at it tomorrow afternoon and see if i noticed any cracks but i think i'll be getting someone to have a look and a get a leak test done. If it's the MAF then that is going to be expensive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,788 ✭✭✭Neilw

Never thought I'd see the day you posting here :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16555/P0171/000369

It could well be an intake leak. If your near George some day I'd recommend him if you don't want to be chasing it up yourself.

gpf101 wrote: »
    http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/16555/P0171/000369

It could well be an intake leak. If your near George some day I'd recommend him if you don't want to be chasing it up yourself.

You mean George who was replying back?

Can you PM me his details please.

• Advertisement
Advertisement