Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

21-06-2011, 15:09   #1
FonE

Saorview & Recording - PROBLEM!

I have a Walker box for receiving the Saorview channels, all connected up to the aerial and was working fine for the 1st couple of weeks. In the last few days I've noticed some problems, namely:

1. An awful lot of freezing and skipping on live tv (my mum has a Sky dish that's half melted from the chimney which gives similar problems but my aerial is 100% intact and had perfect picture pre-Saorview box)

2. Last week a program I recorded (got a 32gb memory stick from Tescos to plug into the Saorview box as I record quite a bit) would come out of the program totally if I tried to fastforward or rewind. A program I recorded on Sunday said it had recorded 53 minutes but when I played it, it skipped from 5 minutes to 38 and no matter how many times I went out of it and back in it just would not show the missing section.

Has anyone had these problems? Is the Memory stick I have not good enough quality or is it the Walker box that's likely to be the problem?

Really rely on recorded programs a lot as RTE have a habit of putting the good shows on at all hours of the night.

Please try to reply as if you're speaking to a total idiot, I'm very non-technical minded!! :-P
Advertisement
21-06-2011, 15:17   #2
Vince Cable
Closed Account

What part of the country are you in & how many 'perfect picture' analogue channels do you have?
21-06-2011, 15:39   #3
FonE

I'm in north County Cork, Doneraile/Buttevant area so would probably be picking up signal from Mitchelstown, I think. Always have had very good signal from my aerial (on the chimney) on all 4 Irish channels and I've got an indoor aerial still set up in the bedroom that has 100% perfect RTE and very good TV3 and average TG4.

As I said, the Saorview worked fine for the first couple of weeks but just this last week has been acting up so not sure why.

Thanks for replying so quickly!
21-06-2011, 15:50   #4
Vince Cable
Closed Account

You're not the only one reporting problems in that area, can you list the UHF channel nos. (will be in the range 21-68) that your Saorview & analogue services are being received on?
21-06-2011, 16:00   #5
Moon54

Quote:
Is the Memory stick I have not good enough quality or is it the
Walker box that's likely to be the problem?
Yep, I'd say it's the memory stick is not up to recording.
Those no-name/own branded ones are likely to be slow.

There is a warning in my STB manual about having a hard drive/flash drive
that can at least do 9Mb/sec.
Advertisement
21-06-2011, 17:37   #6
FonE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince Cable View Post
You're not the only one reporting problems in that area, can you list the UHF channel nos. (will be in the range 21-68) that your Saorview & analogue services are being received on?
How do I find these? Sorry but I'm a total technical know-nothing.
21-06-2011, 18:49   #7
STB
Closed Account

Stick your USB drive in your computer right click on the drive and do an "error check" and possibly a "defrag".

USB flash drives get fecked up very easily on sat/dtt boxes.
21-06-2011, 19:02   #8
Vince Cable
Closed Account

The channel nos. can probably be found with the 'information' button or in the tuning menu.
Check here for transmitter locations & see what direction your aerial is pointing.
TV3 analogue would be coming from Mullaghanish, which requires 2 aerials for all the analogue channels.
21-06-2011, 22:23   #9
jgbyr

I live in the Charleville area & get my signal from Woodcock Hill. The picture is perfect & I have recorded programs using the epg with no issues.(Its not a walker box) The mountains would block this signal though in Buttevant/Doneraile. My parents who live close by have their aerial pointing towards Mullaghanish & their saorview picture is also fine.

Last edited by jgbyr; 21-06-2011 at 22:26. Reason: Forgot a comment
Advertisement
22-06-2011, 14:56   #10
FonE

Quote:
The channel nos. can probably be found with the 'information' button or in the tuning menu.
Check here for transmitter locations & see what direction your aerial is pointing.
TV3 analogue would be coming from Mullaghanish, which requires 2 aerials for all the analogue channels.
I actually managed to find that info! :-P It's channel 21. Signal quality is 100% and signal level 85%, though when I went into that menu when it was freezing/skipping the signal quality was fluctuating down to 70%. Guess this is the problem.

So....do I need to get someone to adjust my aerial?
22-06-2011, 16:03   #11
Vince Cable
Closed Account

Channel 21 is Mullaghanish, does your aerial point that way?

Maybe you have some kind of electrical interference problem; it may be visible on the analogue channels as white specks etc. or there might also be sound interference.
RTE also made a vague announcement about 'transmitter outages' but with no detailed info.
Thanks from:
23-06-2011, 15:34   #12
FonE

Quote:
Channel 21 is Mullaghanish, does your aerial point that way?

Maybe you have some kind of electrical interference problem; it may be visible on the analogue channels as white specks etc. or there might also be sound interference.
RTE also made a vague announcement about 'transmitter outages' but with no detailed info.
Yep, aerial is pointing in the right direction alright. Might get someone to look at the aerial itself to see if there's a problem with it.

USB memory stick packed up totally last night, box wouldn't recognise it at all. Have now got another one in and will have to see if this one lasts longer than a few weeks!
29-06-2011, 14:42   #13
FonE

Ok, me back again! Got a guy to come and look at my aerial, he said it needed a new wire running from chimney to tv, which he replaced. Thought that would solve the problem but lo and behold, it's still freezing and the signal Level is jumping from 100% to 25%.

Bought a high-speed memory stick to use for recording but the Walker box wouldn't recognise it at all so can't use it! Got it on Amazon and it wasn't cheap so P*ssed off that it won't work. It's a Verbatim 47341 16gb Executive Hi-speed flash.

Could it be the USB port that's faulty? I say this as it won't accept the new memory stick and takes a bit of jiggling to get it to realise the other one was in and just flat out refused to read the 1st one that I bought at all after a couple of week's using it. (I used that same memory stick in a PC and it worked fine so it wasn't the stick that was wrong, just the Walker box wouldn't recognise it was plugged in)

Does anyone know of issues like this with the Walker saorview box? I rely on recording ALOT so would really be lost without the ability to record programmes.
29-06-2011, 14:50   #14
STB
Closed Account

Download this.... http://www.ridgecrop.demon.co.uk/ind...?guiformat.htm

And format the key with it.

Then insert it in the box.
29-06-2011, 15:07   #15
Gerry Wicklow

RTFM

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic