Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2011 Cooking Club Week 21 - Kerry Lamb Pie with Roasted Parsnips - Also Veggie Option

Options
  • 08-06-2011 7:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭

Sorry for the delay in this – lot going on & a Leaving Cert student in the house!
    This is a recipe that we got in the 1st book from Roly’s Bistro. It is a book that we have used quite a few recipes from. This has been very well received by family and visitors alike over the last few years,

The roasted parsnips are very important and are added in late on. Overall, we add in more vegetables than is in the orginal Roly’s recipe which stretches the meat as we usually use the more expensive lamb steaks.

750 g leg of lamb or lamb steaks cut into cubes.
    3 Bay Leaves or bouquet garni.
    Button Mushrooms (about 20)
    4 carrots
    2 large onions
    6 sticks celery
    750 ml chicken or vegetable stock
    250 ml white wine
    1 teaspoon gravy browning
    2 dessertspoons tomato puree
    20g butter
    2 large or 4 small parsnips, diced
    Puff pastry
    1 egg
    Pie dish, 2-2.5 inches deep. Big enough for 6 portions.

Chop vegetables into chunky pieces. Cut mushrooms in half and sauté in a little butter and set aside.

Seal the lamb in a hot saucepan with a little oil,

img3775jr.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Add onion and fry for a few minutes before adding the other vegetables EXCEPT THE PARSNIPS.

img3776z.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-07

The parsnips will be added later. Cook the lamb and vegetables for about 5 minutes and add the tomato puree and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

After that pour in the chicken stock, white wine and gravy browning. Add in bay leaves or bouquet garni and bring to boil and simmer for 1 to 1.5 hr on low heat.

img3779m.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Add in mushrooms. Take out bay leaves / bouquet garni.

Have oven heating to 200°C or gas Mark 5.

Pan-fry the chopped parsnips in butter until tender.

img3778b.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Roll out pastry slightly bigger than Pie Dish. Ladle lamb mixture into the pie dish to ¾ full. Then top with the parsnips and cover with pastry.

img3783ky.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-07

To help the pastry stick you can cover the rim of the dish with pastry and then wet it before covering with pastry.

img3784f.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

img3785l.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Optional you can brush with beaten egg, it gives a glaze but too much can soften the pastry.

Bake for 20 minutes until pastry is golden brown.

img3793x.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Serves 6 approx.

We have a vegetarian in our house so we also do a smaller dish alongside the main dish in which we do a reduced size version without the lamb but also add in peppers courgettes and other vegetables and make the rest of the pie as in the recipe.

img3777k.jpg
    By agorm1 at 2011-06-06

Enjoy!!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Had this tonight, very nice and tasty, thanks for the recipe.

I don't like lamb, so used some stewing beef instead, swapped out some of the veg too, we had onion, green beans, potato, carrot, brocolli (added just before going into the oven) and mushrooms, with quorn beef strips in the veggie option too.

Here's a picture of the veggie one, the meat one didn't look too different, but was already being eaten by the time we remembered the photo :)

DSCN4070.jpg

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

have just finished eating this, we were supposed to be having chicken and mushroom pie but then we seen this.

instead of lamb we used stewing beef cos we didnt have any lamb

we put in onions, potatoes, carrots, green beans, mushrooms and broccoli (no parsnips - himself doesnt like them)

done the same for the veggie but used quorn steak pieces instead.

it was beautiful and will definitely be going on our regular dinner menu

• Registered Users Posts: 2,947 ✭✭✭dixiefly

Hi Des and Irishbird,

I am delighted that you both liked it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

We had this tonight and it was lovely. I had never actually made a pie before so thanks for the recipe!

picture.php?albumid=1732&pictureid=9886

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

That looks beautiful!

I'm so behind in trying the Cooking Club recipes but I must give this a bash soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

BaZmO* wrote: »
    That looks beautiful!

I'm so behind in trying the Cooking Club recipes but I must give this a bash soon.

Thanks Baz!

Yeah, this one is definitely worth a go!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

Made this last night. Really tasty dish, will make it again but will probably leave the parsnips out. Thanks Dixiefly.

1rbvc6.jpg

qysktu.jpg

Advertisement