Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New BJJ Blackbelt in Ireland apparently.

Options
  • 01-06-2011 10:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭

While I was enjoying my Burrito from Taco Taco in the Epicurean Food Hall today (mmm), I noticed a flyer for BJJ classes from "BJJ Legion" in Dublin 2. It said that the coach is a BJJ Blackbelt named Jorge Santos. Found the Facebook here: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Legion-Ireland-BJJ/208174359203308?v=info

Anyone ever had any experiences with them? Seems like a new gym. Its cool having another Blackbelt here now (makes it what? 5 or 6?), considering I remember when John K was the only Brown Belt in Ireland! It can only be good for BJJ here. I wonder what this guy is like.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭themandan6611

Doing classes in the Fitness Dock on Camden St.

They offered marital arts from that gym before if i remember and there was some questions about the qualifications of those teaching on Boards at the time.

You should eat tacos in Burrito & Blues on Wexford street - much better :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

bujum:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 107 ✭✭MarkFairman

Ironically one of you got a Burrito from "taco taco" and the other a taco from "Burrtio ans Blues"

I would go Taco Taco as its Mexican owned.

I think there must be a couple BJJ blackblets humming under the radar with the amount of Brazilians living in Ireland right now.

I think it will actually be great for lower coloured belts, in the past you could be a blue for ages waiting for a black belt to grade you, if you missed the grading it could be another year before you had a chance again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

anyone training with him?

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭EnjoyChoke

I think it will actually be great for lower coloured belts, in the past you could be a blue for ages waiting for a black belt to grade you, if you missed the grading it could be another year before you had a chance again.

A longer time in grade is no bad thing. The belt is only a symptom of your skills in any case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Doug Cartel

EnjoyChoke wrote: »
    A longer time in grade is no bad thing. The belt is only a symptom of your skills in any case.
    I'm not that big on gradings, but still - if you're all set to grade but miss the grading because something comes up at work, or whatever, and you end up having to wait a whole year for the next one, it must be a fair aul kick in the nads.

I agree and disagree,

yes a belt reflection of your skills. But if you are competeting at say blue blet level against someone who hasnt graded but is clearly a high level purple it can be a bit of a dose really and slightly damaging for your enthusiams if your blasted out of your category.

Think JK was promoted straight to purple as he had no one to grade him.

I'm not that big on gradings, but still - if you're all set to grade but miss the grading because something comes up at work, or whatever, and you end up having to wait a whole year for the next one, it must be a fair aul kick in the nads.

A year in BJJ is a very short time ;)

But if you are competeting at say blue blet level against someone who hasnt graded but is clearly a high level purple it can be a bit of a dose really and slightly damaging for your enthusiams if your blasted out of your category.

Again not a bad thing. Many of the medals in the big comps are won by people as you describe. They "graduate" by smashing all at their current belt level in competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭da-bres

Again not a bad thing. Many of the medals in the big comps are won by people as you describe. They "graduate" by smashing all at their current belt level in competition.

This is the way

• Advertisement

Point taken :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 legionBJJ

Hey Lads, my name is Patrick Costello. I work with Jorge Santos (Black Belt) and Alex Castro (Blue Belt) in Legion Ireland BJJ. I'm glad to see you asking about our classes. Jorge has over 10 years experience doing BJJ, since he started doing BJJ he has won 32 medals and has represented Gracie Humaita academy, under the Scorpion gym in Porto Alegre, (here is the link to there web page http://www.scorpyongym.com.br/). at the world championships. We are giving classes Mon - Fri 3pm to 5pm at the minute but we are looking to expand our time table to a night class. If you are interested in rolling with Jorge to see if you like his way of teaching e-mail us @ legionirelandbjj@gmail.com, or call into the Fitness Dock on Camden st. Thanks. Osss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭_oveless

legionBJJ wrote: »
    Hey Lads, my name is Patrick Costello. I work with Jorge Santos (Black Belt) and Alex Castro (Blue Belt) in Legion Ireland BJJ. I'm glad to see you asking about our classes. Jorge has over 10 years experience doing BJJ, since he started doing BJJ he has won 32 medals and has represented Gracie Humaita academy, under the Scorpion gym in Porto Alegre, (here is the link to there web page http://www.scorpyongym.com.br/). at the world championships. We are giving classes Mon - Fri 3pm to 5pm at the minute but we are looking to expand our time table to a night class. If you are interested in rolling with Jorge to see if you like his way of teaching e-mail us @ legionirelandbjj@gmail.com, or call into the Fitness Dock on Camden st. Thanks. Osss

How much are classes and are absolute beginners welcome?

_oveless wrote: »
    How much are classes and are absolute beginners welcome?

We welcome all levels, most of our students are beginners. As for how much it costs, we would prefer if you could call into us and have a chat, we give the first class for free to all new students. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 3 donwardo

Hi Guys, I just recently started rolling with Jorge at The Fitness Dock and he's a fantastic teacher. The instruction and ease of his techniques are fantastic. He covers at least 3-4 new moves per class and we get to roll with him at the end which is only a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Went for a session yesterday. Gotta say Jorge is the real deal. Showed us some very nice stuff as well as goin over the basics. Rolled with him for bout 10 minutes and everything he did just seemed so effortless.
    Seems like a very nice guy too as does as does alex. Would definitely recomend them for people of any level.
    (also must try out that burrito place:D)

We have moved to The Mews, 22 Main Street, Ranelagh, Dublin 6

From Monday 18th July.
    The time table is : Mornings - Monday/Wednesday/Friday - 7am to 8am
    Afternoons - Monday/Wednesday/Friday - 3pm to 5pm
    Evenings - Monday to Friday - 7pm to 9pm

Prices are.
    1 Month €80 (€ 1.82 per class)
    1 Day(3 classes) per week for 4 weeks €40 (€3.34 per class)
    Drop in €15 per class
    If you sign up for 3 months you get the third month 1/2 price.(€200)
    (€1.52 per class)
    Ossss!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Malolan

Is first class free?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭HellsAngel

Impressive CV, looks like the real deal alright. The more Black Belts we have in Ireland the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

HellsAngel wrote: »
    Impressive CV, looks like the real deal alright. The more Black Belts we have in Ireland the better.

Sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,987 ✭✭✭JohnMc1

HellsAngel wrote: »

Sorry for double post.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭pablohoney87

Malolan wrote: »
    Is first class free?

Tis indeed:D

Advertisement