Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[ Tutorial ] Flashing an Xbox 360 with 2.0.13146 dashboard

Options
  • 01-06-2011 5:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Do not attempt this if you are an Xbox Live user, the results may be unpredictable.

I have put together this short tutorial for flashing an Xbox 360 with 2.0.13146 dashboard, as a lot of you probably already know the recent dashboard update restores the DVD drive's firmware back to stock, losing the functionality that custom firmware offers. In addition to losing this functionality, you will also be unable to extract the new firmware/key from the drive with current methods.

You will need the original extracted firmware or key.bin(if Liteon) before the 2.0.13146 update, in this tutorial I am restoring custom firmware to a Liteon 93450c.

Download the newest version of Jungleflasher 0.1.83 (241), we will use this to parse the newly created firmware for the 2.0.13146 dashboard for verification purposes.

I used the Maximus Lizard USB to erase/write the custom firmware back onto the drive, although you may use an x360 USB or VIA/CK3.

Get a program called e-tool, this program allows you to inject your original extracted key into the new firmware.

Let's get started:
    1. Copy your original key.bin into the e-tool directory and run e-tool.exe.
    2. Choose option 2 'Inject Key into F/W'.
    3. Enter a meaningful name for 'Final_FW', I chose LO93450c_OFW.bin
    4. Enter KEY.BIN (you should have copied this from your original extracted firmware).
    5. In this case I went with option '1 - Lite-on 02510c' for the Liteon 93450c drive.
    6. You should now have a LO93450c_OFW.bin, in the e-tool directory
    7. Choose 'Open Source Firmware' on the 'Firmware Tool 32' tab in Jungleflasher, if all goes well it will parse the file and show you the key.
    8. Click 'Open Target Firmware' and select the version of LT that corresponds to your drive, now 'Spoof Source to Target'.
    9. Click 'Save to File' and flash this firmware back to your drive, in my case erase to get it into vendor mode and then write :D
    This should work for all Liteon drives, I am not sure about BenQ/Samsung and Hitachi I know e-tool has support for BenQ drives. Apologies for the lack of pictures I think it's fairly straightforward to follow

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

From what I know, AP2.5 titles won't work with the new dash and old CFW (LT1.1 combo). Also, isn't there every possibility you're flagging the console (secdata.bin) if you flash LT1.1 on a 13146 firmware, as in it's detectable?

I'm open to correction on all points, but just thought it needed mentioning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

Sure who knows what goes on in secdata.bin for now this is the only viable workaround (that I know of) to regain the functionality you would have lost if you updated, it should not be attempted if you care about your Gamerpoints or Xbox Live profile

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

justryan wrote: »
    Sure who knows what goes on in secdata.bin for now this is the only viable workaround (that I know of) to regain the functionality you would have lost if you updated, it should not be attempted if you care about your Gamerpoints or Xbox Live profile

Yes, but not all functionality is regained (AP2.5 titles still won't work). And we both know there are people out there on CFW who do go on Live ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Do not attempt this if you are an Xbox Live user, the results may be unpredictable.

I have put together this short tutorial for flashing an Xbox 360 with 2.0.13146 dashboard, as a lot of you probably already know the recent dashboard update restores the DVD drive's firmware back to stock, losing the functionality that custom firmware offers. In addition to losing this functionality, you will also be unable to extract the new firmware/key from the drive with current methods.

You will need the original extracted firmware or key.bin(if Liteon) before the 2.0.13146 update, in this tutorial I am restoring custom firmware to a Liteon 93450c.

Download the newest version of Jungleflasher 0.1.83 (241), we will use this to parse the newly created firmware for the 2.0.13146 dashboard for verification purposes.

I used the Maximus Lizard USB to erase/write the custom firmware back onto the drive, although you may use an x360 USB or VIA/CK3.

Get a program called e-tool, this program allows you to inject your original extracted key into the new firmware.

Let's get started:
    1. Copy your original key.bin into the e-tool directory and run e-tool.exe.
    2. Choose option 2 'Inject Key into F/W'.
    3. Enter a meaningful name for 'Final_FW', I chose LO93450c_OFW.bin
    4. Enter KEY.BIN (you should have copied this from your original extracted firmware).
    5. In this case I went with option '1 - Lite-on 02510c' for the Liteon 93450c drive.
    6. You should now have a LO93450c_OFW.bin, in the e-tool directory
    7. Choose 'Open Source Firmware' on the 'Firmware Tool 32' tab in Jungleflasher, if all goes well it will parse the file and show you the key.
    8. Click 'Open Target Firmware' and select the version of LT that corresponds to your drive, now 'Spoof Source to Target'.
    9. Click 'Save to File' and flash this firmware back to your drive, in my case erase to get it into vendor mode and then write :D
    This should work for all Liteon drives, I am not sure about BenQ/Samsung and Hitachi I know e-tool has support for BenQ drives. Apologies for the lack of pictures I think it's fairly straightforward to follow

I new jungleflasher, which was released on the 28th, Allows you to extract the key from the stock firmware that is on the new dash.

So you don't need to have the key already. Also its best to just wait for LT 1.9 as it will have support for ap.25 checks when the patches are released.

Problem is the new dashboard flashes your drive with new firmware so current methods of extracting that firmware(and key) don't work, I may be wrong but I tried extracting from a Liteon 93450c before and after the dashboard update, before was fine but after the update it failed maybe due to the firmware locking out the chip?

This tutorial will serve those who have accidentally updated and wish to regain some functionality, while they wait for the next LT 1.9 release.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,624 ✭✭✭Thor

Problem is the new dashboard flashes your drive with new firmware so current methods of extracting that firmware(and key) don't work, I may be wrong but I tried extracting from a Liteon 93450c before and after the dashboard update, before was fine but after the update it failed maybe due to the firmware locking out the chip?

This tutorial will serve those who have accidentally updated and wish to regain some functionality, while they wait for the next LT 1.9 release.

Are you sure you were using the new jungle flasher, I just confirmed this on IRC with some smart guys.

Here is the most recent changelog
    CHANGE LOGS

JungleFlasher 0.1.83(241)

========================================
    New OFW and dummy parse recognition..
    Sammy MS28, Benq 04421C, Liteon 02510C, Liteon Slim 0272, 0401
    Phatkey
    updated for Liteon 02510C key extraction
    SlimKey
    updated for Liteon Slim 0272, 0401 key extraction and 401 keysector verification
    Slim Read (9504)
    improved for Winbond compatibility
    improved to recognise already modified 3e000 sector
    Slim Un Lock (9504)
    consolidated "modified 3e000 sector" unlock and regular unlock for improved fault recovery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 kizmestar

Can someone help me with a problem I have. I flashed by drive with the first firmware that can out for the slim 9504 dont remember the version number. I've lost my orig.bin firmware and now need to flash back to stock. Is it possible to still get the key from the drive.

You should be able to dump the key with either an x360usb or maximus lizard, the problem with 9504 is the winbond chip is locked out so you can't write custom firmware or restore it to stock without doing the winbond hack(not recommended), removing the winbond chip and substituting a writeable alternative or you can get an unlocked pcb from team xecuter.

justryan thank you for the help not sure if I'm reading you reply properly. But I thought the drives where only locked after the new dash update. Sorry if I'm not understanding you reply properly but thank for taking the time to try and help.

• Advertisement

kizmestar wrote: »
    justryan thank you for the help not sure if I'm reading you reply properly. But I thought the drives where only locked after the new dash update. Sorry if I'm not understanding you reply properly but thank for taking the time to try and help.

Yeah that's correct would help to know your current dashboard, I believe it may have been 13146 that's locked out the chip.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Can you clarify something for me, I have the first Lite-on and I already have my key. When I updated last year it was as easy as create fw in jf, and then erase/write to the drive. Can I just do the same again or has it become slightly more awkward?

red_fox wrote: »
    Can you clarify something for me, I have the first Lite-on and I already have my key. When I updated last year it was as easy as create fw in jf, and then erase/write to the drive. Can I just do the same again or has it become slightly more awkward?

Download the latest jf and ixtreme choose your original dummy.bin as source and select the lt 2.0 firmware for your 73450c (?) drive, then choose Liteon erase and power cycle your DVD drive to get 72 status then just click Write

I'm still running an older dashboard the one when kinect first came out. Not updated since then so my drive is not locked as I've not installed the latest dashboard. Still running an older firmware so I'm I about to get my key so I can flash to stock, install new dashboard, then update to the latest firmware.

kizmestar wrote: »
    I'm still running an older dashboard the one when kinect first came out. Not updated since then so my drive is not locked as I've not installed the latest dashboard. Still running an older firmware so I'm I about to get my key so I can flash to stock, install new dashboard, then update to the latest firmware.

Ok well you won't be able to write to the chip using conventional methods after this update.

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭red_fox

Download the latest jf and ixtreme choose your original dummy.bin as source and select the lt 2.0 firmware for your 73450c (?) drive, then choose Liteon erase and power cycle your DVD drive to get 72 status then just click Write

Excellent, thanks :D

Advertisement