New to greyhound racing please help - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

01-06-2011, 01:36   #1
johnny_cash

New to greyhound racing please help

Hi i would like to get involved in greyhound racing can you guys help me please.How much would it cost to buy a greyhound and what would it cost for a trainer?I live in carlow and have tried to look up trainers online but couldn't find anything helpful any help appreciated.
Advertisement
01-06-2011, 12:32   #2
Caveman1

You should find some useful info here:

http://www.igb.ie//portal.aspx

I looked into it a while back and form what I remember prices usually start at €3000-€10000 then you have your training fees and race fees etc. A friend of mine is in a syndicate with 5 others and they get great fun out of it.

Last edited by Caveman1; 01-06-2011 at 12:34.
01-06-2011, 14:58   #3
Tinytony

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_cash View Post
Hi i would like to get involved in greyhound racing can you guys help me please.How much would it cost to buy a greyhound and what would it cost for a trainer?I live in carlow and have tried to look up trainers online but couldn't find anything helpful any help appreciated.
For a decent trainer you'd talking around €200 a month give or take, plus whatever extras are incurred (race entries, vet bills, transport etc). The top trainers like Paul Hennessy etc would be more expensive.

You could get good value on a dog at the moment, but again it really depends on your budget. You could get a reasonably well bred pup (4 months old) for around €700 (for a bitch) but then you would be waiting for over a year for her to be ready to run. Take a look at the classifieds section here:

http://www.greyhound-data.com/litter...nnel=all&mode=
01-06-2011, 15:06   #4
Tinytony

Also the link above links specifically to pups for sale, if you want to look for ready to race dogs there's and option along the top to change it.
06-06-2011, 18:35   #5
Nowso

it would also depend where you wanted your dogs to run also. Ask around at your local track .
Check out www.greyhoundscene.com website for more info also if you wish
Advertisement
24-06-2011, 09:30   #6
chancer007

dog

u buy a dog johnny?
01-08-2011, 21:43   #7
T2daK

the most rigged sport in the world
02-08-2011, 15:11   #8
Tinytony

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2daK View Post
the most rigged sport in the world
Expand on that

02-08-2011, 21:54   #9
T2daK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinytony View Post
Expand on that

ah come on, the amount of unsporting practices that go on. Several times my dad was in the bookies. He would bump into a friend and ask him who he should back in a certainn race, the favourite looks good...

"Ara no sure he's not trying today avoid!"

On most occasions, the stand out favourite finished last, or close to it..

Don't they feed them too soon before the race, not clip their toenails among many other things...
Advertisement
03-08-2011, 16:51   #10
Tinytony

Quote:
Originally Posted by T2daK View Post
ah come on, the amount of unsporting practices that go on. Several times my dad was in the bookies. He would bump into a friend and ask him who he should back in a certainn race, the favourite looks good...

"Ara no sure he's not trying today avoid!"

On most occasions, the stand out favourite finished last, or close to it..

Don't they feed them too soon before the race, not clip their toenails among many other things...
Anything involving people and money is open to corruption.

- FIFA govern the biggest sporting organisation in the world and look at the state that is in.
- Scores of snooker players have been investigated for match fixing
- Tennis players the same
- Cycling has been riddled with doping for years but is finally starting to clean up it act
- Horse Racing - nothing needs to be said!

If you are punting on anything it is up to you to ensure you have the best possible information before laying a bet.

In an ideal world you could take all form at face value but there are very few strands in life where you will be successful if you adopting an overly trusting approach.
Thanks from:
06-09-2011, 13:54   #11
EskimoJack

I have been involved in Greyhounds for 25 years and it is a great sport to get involved in. You can spend what you like but for a good fun dog who is ready to run and will be competitive about €1k would be plenty. I charge €50 a week to train which is just covers the cost but hey i love it.
PM if you are interested i have a nice 62 pound bitch which has just qualified for racing. I have now started more intensive training so I expect her to be competitive first time out. I am based in Kildare.
12-11-2011, 21:44   #12
hareone

Hello,
I am a member of a syndicate. We have 3 dogs, 2 that are ready to run, and one 3 month old pup. There is currently 5 members of the syndicate, however we are looking for more members.. We have a facebook page if you want to find us on facebook, Its called "Paws Greyhound Syndicate". If you are interested in joining?
15-11-2011, 22:07   #13
kk09

Quote:
Originally Posted by hareone View Post
Hello,
I am a member of a syndicate. We have 3 dogs, 2 that are ready to run, and one 3 month old pup. There is currently 5 members of the syndicate, however we are looking for more members.. We have a facebook page if you want to find us on facebook, Its called "Paws Greyhound Syndicate". If you are interested in joining?
Don't seem to be able to get it up on facebook??
16-11-2011, 11:46   #14
hareone

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100003169298224 This is our link. Its only a new facebook, we are going to upload some videos of the dogs... If you want to contact me my number is on facebook, or just mail me. Thanks

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion