Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Top 5 worst beers in your opinion.

Options
  • 28-05-2011 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭

As above^ What in your opinion is the worst beer you have ever tasted.

Here goes for me....

1. Karpackie - Manky metallic tasting slop, must be almost frozen before you attempt to drink it.
    2. Royal Dutch - Used to get this when i was a student.....shiver.
    3. Carling - like beer flavoured dishwater. Watery soup with foam.
    4. Budweiser - yes its tasteless & weak...its fizzy water with a hint of hops!
    5. Miller - what exactly is this muck? Its like tangy bud? yeeuuuck.

:pac:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭JBnaglfar

My 5 least favourite (off the top of my head and in no particular order)

Dutch Gold - Used to drink this in my underage days, couldn't go near the stuff now.
    Carling - As previously mentioned, horrible dishwater taste.
    Budweiser - again, similar reasons to the OP.
    Harp - I've only had this once, so maybe I'm harsh on it, but it tasted awful. Couldn't even finish the can.
    Coors Light - I have heard it tastes better in the US, but my only experience of it is the stuff in Ireland. I once got a buy one get one free deal on Coors Light in a bar, and it was a terrible decision. Never actually finished the second one, and just left.
    Heineken - see Carling.

Just realised that's 6 beers, not 5. Ah well, beers should always come in 6's :p

1.Kaiserdom,a really nasty beer but we sell truckloads of it at work.
    2.Stoya, just awful
    3.Prazsky, see stoya!
    4.Hackenberg, even the noreast rep told me not to bother trying it!
    5.Utenos, utter muck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Budweiser
    Dutch Gold
    Staropramen
    Blue Moon
    Coors Light

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

1. Carling It's not nice and I would be embarassed to have a can in my hand.
    2. Budweiser. It's not made as a Beer. It's made to float between the void of taste and sensation to appeal to everybody.
    3. Miller. I'm not sure the Irish appreciate this as a beverage, rather as a cheap watery alternative on its price.
    4. Valentines Weissbeer. Incredibly Woeful Stuff!!
    5. Carslberg. I can't place it but I think my taste buds refuse it because I believe its a scumbag drink.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

1.Kaiserdom,a really nasty beer but we sell truckloads of it at work.

But you can get it in litre cans! It must be good! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

1. Budweiser
    2. Carlsberg
    3. Coors Light
    4. Miller
    5. ...?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,072 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

In no great order...

Coors Light, the only beer ever to make me physically sick on taste alone.
    Fosters. I once had a stumpy which was so vile I wasn't able to finish. I added red lemonade to it and it still remained undrank, even with the help of my Dad.
    San Miguel. A beer so bad it can only be made taste better with a dash of lemon Toilet Duck.
    Flensburger. The Adolf Hitler of German beers, there is plain nothing good about it at all.
    John Smiths Extra Smooth. I suspect Wham Bars had less plastic or e numbers in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

in order of disgustingness, where 1 is the worst:

1. Stella Artois - Evil Stuff
    2. Budweiser (mudweiser)
    3. Any "Light" beer - bleargh, flavoured wee
    4. Dutch Mould
    5. Heineken (although it tastes gorgeous when in Holland, it tastes foul here!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

1. Fosters - horrible piss.
    2. Budweiser - watery horrible piss.
    3. Miller - tastes like brake fluid. Mixed with horrible piss.
    4. Stella - the inescapable sense of drinking the equivalent of Burberry.
    5. Carling - Tasted good in Freakscene in Sir Henrys in Cork fifteen years ago. Tastes like the contents of a slop bucket now.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭wytch

1. Irish bottled heineken, recipe got lost on the way from holland, urine used instead.
    2. miller, american urine, they should stick to what they are good at making....war
    3. budweiser same reason as no. 2.
    4. finkbrau from lidl or aldi, this cannot be german.
    5. Irish bottled heineken,(its that bad it gets two positions), like labeling a lada with a ferrari badge.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,821 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

wytch wrote: »
    1. Irish bottled heineken, recipe got lost on the way from holland
    It is actually brewed in the Netherlands. Only draught Heineken is brewed in Ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,048 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

I have been thinking this over and considering what I've chucked away rather than finish over the years.

Clearly this is a totally subjective question for the most part - I'm not claiming the following are genuinely 'bad' beers - they just didn't appeal to me at all.

I really don't like Fraoch heather ale (sp?) so that's one.

Abbott Ale is, for me, really soupy and cloying somehow. Fail.

There was one particular Badger ale that I flung out after a few mouthfuls, but I can't recall which one. Had some disturbing herbal quality.

Legbiter ale from up North ... Smelt as bad as it tasted.

Then, yes, there are the mass market offerings.....

...But... The truth is, sometimes even bad beer is better than no beer.

If given a choice between a bottle of a bland mass-market offering and a craft brew option I'll always opt for the latter... But sometimes its appropriate to keep your mouth shut, not rock the boat and accept the beer that (for example) your host hands you. Provided it's icy cold I can certainly drink the likes of Heineken, Budweiser etc. In fact, provided it's cold enough you aren't tasting anything much anyway - good or bad.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I tend to stay away from the mainstream lagers but I have drank some bad beer from cans in my time. For a bit of perspective, I'm a Smithwicks and Guinness drinker in most pubs but I'll drink other ales, stouts and non-lagers if they're available.

1. The worst muck in the world, mentioned three times already at the time of posting, it's Dutch Gold. Disgusting head, gassy, horrible aftertaste. I don't know how it sells anymore when there are plenty of passable lagers in the same price bracket.

2. Tuborg and Carlsberg. I'm grouping them together even though they're different but it's only because they're both danish and I dislike them equally. These actually taste crappy. I know that it's subjective but I just never liked them. Admittedly, I did enjoy some tuborgs from the tap a few nights ago. That never happened with Carlsberg.

3. Any Heineken brewed/bottled here. What's the point of it? It's so middle of the road that it's in the centre of the white line. I tried the stuff over in Holland before and it was quite different.

4. Sol/Corona. This stuff is made to be as inoffensive as possible. It's so dull that girls who would normally drink a wkd are able to drink it. I can drink it myself but I get no more pleasure from it than I would from cheap lager.

5. Bud/Miller. Bland, boring and pointless. Please go away. No amount of ads will make me think that this stuff is any good. Forgive my snobbery but I think this stuff is for people who don't actually like beer but don't want to be seen with alcopops.

By the way, I think Karpackie is grand for its price/alcohol content and Bavaria is quite drinkable so maybe I have bad taste.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 QwertyFinger

1. Carlsberg, probably the worst beer ever.
    2. Sol, **** cheap crap which is marketed as if it were Corona to make it seem at least decent when in essence its vile.
    3. Miller, terrible terrible drink, too rotten to consume and I drink tuborg and dutch gold.
    4. Saint Etienne, my brother swears by it, I think its mouldy.
    5. Fosters, makes Bavaria seem as if it's a top notch drink.

Legbiter ale from up North
    As a nordie I have to stand up for my province and point out that this isn't really from up North. Their brewery produces a concentrate which is watered down and fermented at a contract brewery in England.

I knew that, but I'm afraid we'll have to blame NI for this one as opposed to the contract brewery, BeerNut :pac: The idea of that concentrate being shipped over does sound wrong from the word go.

(And if Donegal counts then I say that as a northerner too)

I'm afraid we'll have to blame NI for this one as opposed to the contract brewery, BeerNut
    Well it was worth a go :)
    /drinks Clotworthy Dobbin

• Registered Users Posts: 19,507 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

BeerNut wrote: »
    /drinks Clotworthy Dobbin
    A bit early for that, don't ya think? :)

<Inset generic beer brand here>: As others have posted, will still drink these brands, and will enjoy them more than not drinking beer, but given a choice, will gladly pay a little bit more for a less generic mass-produced brand.
    Innis & Gunn: Have tried it a couple of times, and for some reason, it just rankles with me. By contrast, I had a bottle of 'Bitch Please' the other night and really enjoyed it. May be a frame of mind thing.
    Becks: Again, just doesn't do it for me. I know I should like it, but I don't.
    Bishops' Finger: Used to like this one, until my horizons were broadened. Now when I drink it, I just taste sweet burnt caramel. I'd still drink it though.
    That's all I got. I like most beer. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,876 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

For me the worst beers are the ones that made me feel really really bad, over the years, after what I consider moderate amounts (despite those that contend that the only factor in a hangover is the amount of alcohol consumed).

In chronological order:

1 Coor's in bottle - Not Coors Lite but Coor's. Is that even available anymore?
    It was a promotion years ago. I only had about 4 bottles. Brain surgery!!

2 Stella Artois in bottle. Oh, my head!!

3 Paulanner Heffe on draught. I've been afraid to see if the bottles do the same thing. I stupidly tested this theory a second time for confirmation!!

I can only think of 3 in that category.

Special mention goes to Badger Poacher's Choice as the worst tasting beer that I expected much more from.

I'm not going to list loads of mainstream 'Premium' and budget brands as I dislike most of them equally and so rarely drink any of them that I'm not qualified to comment.

In defence of Budweiser, though, I will say that while it doesn't taste great or of very much, it does taste distinctly different from all the other mainstream lagers. I reckon I could pick it out in a blind tasting.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I honestly think Bud is worse than most of the mainstream crap. I had a customer at work take a few sips of a Bud once and complain that it tasted bad. I was tempted to say "What were you expecting?" but held my tongue.

Off the top of my head some of the worst non-mainstream beers I've had are .

Blue Moon
    Dragon Stout (red stripe)
    Greene King IPA - It's been a while since I last had it but I can distinctly remember it tasting like grass(the lawn kind :P) .

A warm bottle of Miller is probably the worst I've ever had though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭LaBaguette

Aside from generic crappy lagers and the like, there is one beer that stands at the top of my "never again" list : the Mor Braz (French website).

It's brewed in Brittany, and as such uses sea water. And it's even worse than it sounds. Tastes of salt and seaweed. Brrr.

Also, almost any canned beer. And I have yet to find a pleasant American (read : US) beer :p

I can agree on the canned beer ... with the possible exception of japanese domestic market canned beer.

It could be nostalgia / rose-tinted glasses, but whenever I've been in Tokyo (a couple of times, nearly ten years ago now) the canned beer always seemed to be head-and-shoulders above anywhere else. Didn't seem to have that metallic / stale taste in the last half of it. In fact, japanese beer was super in general (reflected in the price).

I put it down to the water quality at the time ... Thought it might be softer/hard/treated differently over there. Because the same beers brewed under licence over here just don't taste the same.

Another beer I really didn't like ... What was that one that used to revolve on a plate at the tap, and was partially made up of ice crystals? Ludicrous idea ... instantly watery beer once they began melting with the glass in-hand. Like something someone would invent on The Apprentice.

LaBaguette wrote: »
    Also, almost any canned beer. And I have yet to find a pleasant American (read : US) beer :p
    Funnily enough I've had some lovely US beers from cans. Dale's Pale Ale, for instance -- the first American craft beer to be canned. 21st Amendment Back in Black IPA is lovely too.

Brewdog have started canning some of their beers: I think we'll be seeing more good beer in cans in the years to come.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I tried Oranjeboom once. The hangover kicked in with a vengeance before I was halfway through the first bottle. Now that is not right. I'd avoid it like any ten plagues you care to mention combined.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Can't drink any of the main stream beers, especially Budweiser.

Also most of the Southern European beers I find pretty poor too.

See a few negative posts about Blue Moon - while not blown away by it I think it's ok, certainly way better than the main stream beers. Kinda like a cross btween Belgian Witbier and German Weiss.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,102 ✭✭✭Technocentral

1. Molly's Chocolate Stout, truly awful, tastes like it was made from a stout that was left in a slop bucket for 6 months then watered down. Thought it was a bad bottle I tasted but a few weeks later tasted some that a mate had bought and was the same.

2. Titanic Quarter beer, as disastrous as the ship its named after.

3. Budweiser, just plain muck.

4. Tuborg, revolting watery pish.

5. Heineken, see Tuborg

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭dutch1

Right Mine are :

1. Bud-Disgusting, they try sell it colder now so ye cant taste how artificial it tastes
    2. Sazenbrau- Jesus, this just made my face wretch, its a Pils. Leaves a pang in the back of ur pallet
    3. Tennents- Ugghhhhhhh
    4. Fosters - Its probably the cans of this that has me not likin it.
    5. Royal Dutch- Its never good when you can taste the metallic off the can !

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Surprised to see Staropramen and Flensburger in anyones list!

Budweiser, Heineken, Miller, Corona and some beer that I have thankfully forgotten the name of. Tesco used to sell it years ago and it was dirt cheap at the time, it was French, came in short fat 330ml bottles and tasted liked mushy peas.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,151 ✭✭✭Thomas_S_Hunterson

1. Faxe 10%. Gratuitiously strong and ostensibly aimed at people that drink out of necessity. Hilariously comes in 1 litre cans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭boardsy

Is there any real reason, other than snobbery, to assume that beer from a can is different than from a bottle? Most good beer is bottled only, which encourages the prejudice. It would also be interesting to know which is more environmentally friendly.

I had actually forgotten what the mainstream beers tasted like over the past few years, and assumed I wouldn't like any of them due to my superior beer knowledge and sophisticated palate (;)), but recently at an art opening the only beverage was bottles of Heineken (in the former Beamish & Crawford brewery - the cruel irony), so I reluctantly tried one, and to my surprise it wasn't bad - it wasn't too chilled, slightly malty/grainy, and not too strong on an empty stomach early in the evening. Reader, I enjoyed it. :o

Advertisement