Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Writing Contest] - THE ARENA

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Looks like you're up Mr E!

How about starting the 24 hour clock at 8pm?

How do you both want to handle the prompt provision?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I'm very suggestible.

I won't be in at 8, but consider whatever topic is chosen as accepted on my part, in the interests of punctuality.

In the spirit of the season, I will give the prompt early.

On the Shelf

• Registered Users Posts: 55,472 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'm in. Thanks DK, I'll see what I can do tonight. :)

My father was a very practical man, so there was no Santa Claus in our little house in Colorado. My Christmas presents, surely some remnant of my mother's influence, spent the month of December, and sometimes November if it was prudent, just sitting on the shelf in our kitchen. By some sort of Christmas miracle, these presents were always wrapped, albeit in the same plain brown wrapping paper that was used to cover my school books so they could be resold at the end of the school year. Being confined to a wheelchair, there was never any danger of me climbing up for an early peek, but even if I had been able, the presents would not have been worth climbing for.
    The climb itself, on the other hand, would have been quite the adventure.
    Every year, usually around September, when I was back hating school and my father would cast about for something to cheer me up, lighting on a cliche, he would ask me what I wanted for Christmas. It had become almost tradition that I would ask for a bicycle, and he in turn would smile and call me a "little bollocks", and following this exchange, I would spend the next few weeks dropping subtle hints about some present he could afford - invariably a book. I liked books, and this year's, if he'd taken the broad hint, would be a large and generously illustrated version of the new book in the "Walking with Voices" trilogy, as I had been very obviously and repeatedly reading the second installment every evening for weeks, and had even helpfully bookmarked a cheap hardback copy on Amazon. At first, I got the impression that my father was a little disconcerted by the word "walking" in the title, as though that might somehow upset me, but when I explained it was about the adventures of a schizophrenic psychopath making his way across the United States, gutting people, he seemed to cheer up a little.
    On this particular afternoon, while I was already on Christmas holidays, and my father was covering as many other shifts as he could until Christmas Eve, I found myself bored and wondering where the trilogy's protagonist might venture to next. I could not decide how I felt about Utah. I did feel mischievous though.
    I could not reach the shelf with the sweeping brush, but there was a ridiculously long chord on the blinds in the kitchen, and channeling my inner McGyver, Mary Poppins and Indiana Jones, I fashioned them into some sort of contraption which I was able to use to hook the chord around the back of the parcel so I could drag it towards the edge of the shelf.
    The book was a little heavier than I had expected - perhaps the extra little bit of weight was guilt, but this was counterbalanced by the fact that the book was by now lilting precariously on the edge of the shelf and I was probably saving my father's life by removing the threat of this Damoclean tome lest it fall on his head. He would understand. And so, with a final gentle tug, the book came toppling down and landed with a thud on the countertop.
    Except, it wasn't one of those satisfying or dull thuds you read about, but one with sickening undertones of crunched glass. I clenched my eyes shut and just sat there for a while, the tears coursing down my cheeks. It seemed my father had not ordered me the third book in the trilogy after all. Fortunately, he was stabbed just outside our house on his way home that night, so I didn't have any explaining to do. Anyway, might you have a copy?

• Advertisement

Dear 35-year-old me,

I'm writing this from my death bed. My shrink said that writing this letter to my younger self would be a cathartic experience, to bare my soul before I die. I have more money than I know what to do with, but cancer doesn't give a fuck. Pancreatic cancer gives the least fucks of all.

Looking back on my life, I leave a lot of regrets in my wake.

I sold my social media company to another social media company when I was 36 and did well enough that I never had to work again. I retired at 37. That's the dream, right? Get bought out, make a shit ton of money and travel the world. Live out the rest of your life in luxury and peace. Yeah, that was fun for about 3 years, but it got old, fast. First regret of many.

I have been a single man for a long time now. Forever. Dad used to say I was a confirmed bachelor. Ma said I was left on the shelf. I had an introverted personality, and years of boredom and loneliness morphed into a quiet rage. I was never great at talking to people and was horribly shy with the opposite sex.

By the time I turned 40, I was bored and still single. I had a small circle of friends, but my new status acted like a shield and it deflected them away, one by one. I had nobody to share my life with. I had a sad daily routine – up at 8am and straight into my own gym. My personal trainer kicked my ass for an hour. My personal chef cooked whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted. Golf in the afternoon, a few drinks and watching my shows or playing games online in the evening. Bed at 11, rinse and repeat. Boring social events at the weekends, charity events and philanthropy. I liked helping worthy causes but I wasn't much of a people person so I hated the damn things. I wish I could have just written cheques and not shown up.

My partners in the company had equally terrible early retirements. James got married and divorced, 3 times. Each time he divorced, his wealth halved like a folding dollar bill. He died alone last year. Roger overdosed on cocaine about 6 months after the buyout. They found him dead in the penthouse of the Four Seasons with a white powder moustache and his trousers around his ankles. Jane had an accident on the coast road – her car was found smashed up on the rocks below. Accident or suicide? Nobody knows.

My psychiatrist often asked me – "What would you have done differently? How would you advise your 35-year-old self?"

Don't sell the company. For the love of God, don't sell. It took you six years to build up, and you pissed it away for an 8 figure cheque and a quick high, followed by the worst comedown of all time. It ruined your life.

The company wasn't my biggest regret though. That honour is reserved for Julie. She was my secretary before things went awry. We used to quietly flirt in the early days despite my shyness, and our friendship was starting to blossom into something... more. When the buyout happened, we grew apart. The buyout was a decision that cost friendships, lives and maybe even love. Love was something I should have put on a pedestal above all else. It would have grounded me. You would have grounded me. Please stay, Julie. I should have tried harder to keep you.

Jesus Christ, I can't believe I'm fucking crying.

This really has been cathartic. Doctors say that I should be at peace by the weekend, and I'm OK with that. I think for the first time, I really truly am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Only three votes? I thought both were great ...

Think that one's yours, Mr. E!

I didn't like mine at all, but by the time I realised the ending I was heading for was going to be flat, I had no time to go back and start again. So then I decided to kill the character moreso out of spite than for the narrative :pac:

At the end, I thought the story might be too depressing, but it was positively upbeat compared to yours, Mr. E! Though I still think if someone offered me an 8 figure cheque for a company, I'd take it ;)

Thanks Ficheall. I probably would too. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Ficheall wrote: »
    I didn't like mine at all, but by the time I realised the ending I was heading for was going to be flat, I had no time to go back and start again. So then I decided to kill the character moreso out of spite than for the narrative :pac:

Don't be so hard on yourself. I liked your story but the ending did let it down. What was in the package?

You have a good story. All it needs is a little more work.

• Advertisement

I'm not being hard on myself - sometimes stories just don't work.

As to what was in the package.. I think the original plan was that it would be a laptop which the father had evidently scrimped and scrived to save for, then I thought that would be ridiculously cliche, so I decided to make it actually be a book which had just fallen on a glass, so that despite the protagonist's fears everything would turn out okay in the end, but that's a bit of a non-story. I toyed briefly with the idea of the book actually falling on his father's head and killing him, but that would have been ridiculous. So in the end, the suggestion was supposed to be that it was something valuable, and the slight twist of the father being killed would surprise the reader and absolve me of finishing the story. Whether the father was killed by the psychotic killer in the book, and whether the protagonist was the same killer, I had not decided yet. So your guess is as good as mine, really :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭echo beach

Ficheall wrote: »
    I'm not being hard on myself - sometimes stories just don't work.

Sadly that is true but there is always something that can be salvaged and reused somewhere else. I think your basic premise might have been the problem. The sort of parent who would leave a present in the sight of but out of the reach of a handicapped child would need a lot of work to be convincing.
    On the other hand, the 'Walking with Voices' trilogy sounds worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭expatinator

I liked your story Mr E. Funilly enough, if he just changed himself, I think he'd be happy.

I'm up for a round if anybody wants it :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 896 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fuzzytrooper

So Mr E - are you feeling up to the challenge or would you like to open the floor. You have first refusal as it were ;)

I'll open the floor, guys. I have something on every night this week. Could have a bash at the weekend if there is an opening then.

Mr E wrote: »
    I'll open the floor, guys. I have something on every night this week. Could have a bash at the weekend if there is an opening then.

You're not allowed to have a life. It's in the small print.

Anyone feel up to the challenge?

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭The Pooka

Go on then :)

ANyone feel like rising to The Pooka challenge TM?

I'll go again - give us the cue.

Can we give this one 48 hours? I am meeting some friends for a drink tonight.

Maybe better to wait til after all the festivities at this stage? Can't imagine too many being around to vote etc over the next few days... But def up for it in the near future! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah that's fine with me, TP. Happy Christmas. :)

Ready when you are... :)

I'm with family this week and not inclined to sit in front of a laptop for few hours. Home at the weekend though? If that doesn't suit, next week is cool too.

Cool, let's say next week!

If you're bored waiting for Mr. E, the http://www.jamesonfirstshot.com/ competition asks for you to write a brief screenplay to win an opportunity to work with Kevin Spacey and the divine Maggie Gyllenhaal. Unfortunately its due date is Jan 4th, and the theme is unhelpfully twee - "your story should be around the great and/or unexpected things that can happen when you fear less and invite life in."

Want to try it tonight, TP?

Yep let's do it! Someone throw up a topic and we'll go 24 hours from when we both accept :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

Remote

*rubs hands together*

• Advertisement

Sounds good!

Advertisement