Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Defamation

Options
  • 18-05-2011 5:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭

Any legal experts here care to have a look at this thread and clarify the law / implications raised in post 5 and subsequent posts?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭234

Well first of all there is an absolute defence to defamaiton of truth. In the situation described everything would be true and therefore cannot be defamatory. Some people are arguing that you need to name the person; not strictly true. You need to identify them which can be done by implication. The thing to remember is that you can say almost anything about somebody if you can prove that it is all true.
    If you are really intereste here's a link to the Defamation Act 2009 which codifies the law in this area.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

Funny, I was just looking at that thread myself before I saw this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭mossie

234 wrote: »
    Well first of all there is an absolute defence to defamaiton of truth. In the situation described everything would be true and therefore cannot be defamatory. Some people are arguing that you need to name the person; not strictly true. You need to identify them which can be done by implication. The thing to remember is that you can say almost anything about somebody if you can prove that it is all true.
    If you are really intereste here's a link to the Defamation Act 2009 which codifies the law in this area.

Thanks for this.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement