Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Single Edge blades

Options
  • 14-05-2011 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭

I've been shaving with a straight now for almost a month and loving it; still learning but the learning curve really isn't as tough as you would think. However I still get strays left and wanted something other than a disposable for clean up (those annoying hars right in the corner of your mouth for instance)

Two questions

1. Anyone used one of 1912 patent SE razors in anger? I've just bought one based on great reviews elsewhere.

gem-england.jpg

2. Anyone know if boots or anywhere (other than online, I can get them online from Connaught) sells SE blades. GEM brand are American, but I believe medical and other instruments still use these SE blades.

009-2-1-jpg_w800_h600_fit.jpg

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

I haven't tried the SE razors but as you mentioned they have a dedicated following. I meant to pick one up from safetyrazors.co.uk but got sidetracked after I ordered 100 Feathers and am trying them across numerous DE razors.

The above site sells both SE razors and the blades, for some reason some of the links aren't working for me this eve. I've bought several times from him and normally site works fine. If you stick Gem into the site search you'll see the stock.

Let us know how you find the SE experience compared to the DE and straights.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Be aware, there's different thickness of SE blade. They look identical though. Hmm, just dug out my 0.23mm SE blades (Hardware use), they're made by Personna.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

I meant to pick one up from safetyrazors.co.uk

I wouldn't....£35 :eek: is stupid money. I just paid £2.99 on ebay! And there are lots going for that kind of price...

If it is in bad nick I'll be happy just to look at it (pretty ain't they)

The design turns 100 years old next year...:) looking forward to giving it a try. Will report back.

.99p even...
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/EVER-READY-OLD-RAZOR-/330562224645?pt=UK_Collectables_Barber_Shop_Collectables_LE&hash=item4cf70b4205

I wonder how you tackle the upper lip with an Ever Ready\Gem? Aren't you shaving with the razor horizontal to the face? The angle is meant to be much steeper than a typical Gillette.

I might pick one up for the heck of it.

I find with a straight you sort of have to scoop, so the razor is going from 90 to 20 degrees or so. Not easy but I haven't cut my upper lip at all since starting...I tend to leave it til last though as it still makes me a little nervous.

I could never get the hairs under my nose properly with M3 anyway. :o

Although I have found that it is easier to get the hairs in the corner of the mouth if you do this :eek: I do keep thinking of Heath Ledger though (Why so serious?)

• Advertisement

You can count SE YouTube videos on one hand. Doesn't seem to have the popularity of other 'antique razors'. Probably, just a guess, due to the limited choice and ready access to blades.

I sense a group buy coming up on blades!!

Just had my first shave with the EveryReady. Also I can say is wow, superb shave. BBS smooth in two passes, no nicks, nice comfortable shave and impressed the wife with the closeness. She even commented that that was my best shave so far in my traditional shaving 'redescovery'.

At 99p plus 30p a blade this has to be the ultimate budget route into trad shaving. I'm tempted to stock up and buy two or three more before these get too popular.

However, this really is an aggressive razor and felt not too different from shaving with a straight - so I'd recommend for either those with straight/shavette experience or aggressive preferring DE shavers.

I have a ebay purchased plastic handled more modern version on the way, so if anyone wants to try one out before getting one on ebay (not that a quid will kill ya) I'll stick the one that's due to arrive soon in the post along with a fresh blade for anyone that wants to try one out. Drop me a PM - (just cover postage if you don't mind)

>mods - youtube above gone, has it been disabled??<

Amalgam wrote: »
    I wonder how you tackle the upper lip with an Ever Ready\Gem? Aren't you shaving with the razor horizontal to the face? The angle is meant to be much steeper than a typical Gillette.

I might pick one up for the heck of it.

I found a more usual 25-30 degree angle seemed to work for me - the feedback was good enough to feel the cutting edge. Upper lip was good, although I did touch up with a straight for the two or three hairs left under my nose. I'm feeling like this will be my "oh crap i'm late for work" razor. I'll probably travel with it too..

I have a few in my sight, with original boxes. I just need to bid..

• Advertisement

Amalgam wrote: »
    I have a few in my sight, with original boxes. I just need to bid..

Don't think you'll regret it, but if you want a loaner...

Advertisement