Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Nissan Leopard

• 12-05-2011 11:36pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭

Can anyone explain this? It's a low '88 Dublin registration, so it looks like it was registered here new, but I think these were Jap only? Iv never seen one or even heard of it untill I was told about this one. V6 automatic, and as bland as you can get. Anyone recognise it from years gone?
    4b76505b.jpg

33a054e1.jpg

73440bfa.jpg

1a5bca73.jpg
    I know it's a bit new, but it's a real oddity!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

That needs saving either way:cool:
    Going on the shape of the rear number plate I reckon its a JDM car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Wiki says is a Leopard F31..
    The F31 Leopard appeared in February 1986 and was only available as a luxury GT coupé. In the US, 5000 Leopards were imported and 2500 of those were converted to convertibles by ASC. In the USA, the F31 was called the Infiniti M30. It was Infiniti's first-ever coupe, as well as the only convertible offered by Infiniti at the time. This vehicle shared a platform with the Nissan skyline R31, and the Nissan Lauel C32to share development costs.

The F30 and F31 Leopards were direct competitors to the Toyot soarer. Whereas the Soarer had the 1G-GTE twin-turbo 2L straight six, the similar-looking Leopard coupé came with the options of a VG30DET, VG30DE, VG20DET (post 1988), VG20ET (prior to 1988), and VG20E. Early 2.0 turbo versions had the single-cam (per bank) VG20ET, but from August 1988, the quad cam version appeared, the body was also face lifted at this time. Available in top spec form was the 3 litre VG30DET engine which produced 190 kW/255 hp. Only the VG20ET and VG20DET engines had an intercooler.

Compared to the Soarer, the Leopard was somewhat more angular, but with neater detailing around the windows. The windows were also flush, without the strange proportions of the Soarer's glass.
    The VG20 V6 produces surprisingly good torque in turbo form, and is generally quite a reliable unit.

The Leopard F31 had no factory options, but dealers offered the addition of a cellular phone and a CD player/changer. Like the Skyline and 300ZX, the Leopard coupe was a front engine RWD vehicle. The RE4R01A 4 speed auto with electronic overdrive was used as well as a 5 speed manual transmission, that wasn't available on the USA-spec infiniti M30. The differential was a Nissan R200-type open differential.

The Leopard F31 was equipped with the Sonar Suspension II system that was also installed on other Nissan vehicles at the time, which featured a sonar module mounted under the front bumper that scanned the road surface and adjusted the suspension accordingly via actuators mounted on the strut towers. There was also a switch on the center console that allowed the driver to change between "Sport" and "Comfort" settings—essentially "firm" and "soft", respectively.

The Leopard F31's production run lasted for 7 years, ending in 1992 due to lagging sales. Nobody knows exactly how many models were produced, but it has been said that just over 5000 were made, half coupes, half convertibles for the USA market.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,309 ✭✭✭VolvoMan

I'd say it's definitely a JDM car that was registered over here new.

Interesting all the same.

johnos1984 wrote: »
    Going on the shape of the rear number plate I reckon its a JDM car
    It is, but the low 1988 Dublin registration suggests it was brand new when registered here, unless im missing something? Must be a story behind this one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,096 ✭✭✭johnos1984

It is, but the low 1988 Dublin registration suggests it was brand new when registered here, unless im missing something?
    Possibly imported as a pre registered (in japan) used model?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭G Luxel

I saw an even older Leopard. It was green with wing mirrors. The reg was OSI 2. Last saw it around the early 90s. It was much angular than the car in the pic. It deserved to be saved too. I would agree that the numberplate is original. I also remember an 89 D 495 Nissan Maxima which was also a Japanese import (JDM).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,191 ✭✭✭_Conrad_

Know very little about that, but i love it! Digitan dash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

It's possible that the distributor for Nissan at the time imported it as a once off.

Nissan Ireland today have a Fuga, which isn't available in Europe AFAIK. It was brought in in 2008 direct from the factory and unregistered for the CEO.

Is it possible that this was a similar story?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dennisthe menace

oh my god i cant believe what i am seeing .after spending the last 20 years in japan working as a tech for nissian , i cant believe that there is a leopard over here in ireland.for one to be over here is extremely rare.it had to be a special order.if any one knows the where abouts of this car could they please pm me .this is a very rare car and needs to be saved.parts for this car are still to be got hany in japan.

much appreciated Dennis Ryan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

• Advertisement

Its not worth 750 quid imo. The rear window has been broken for literally years through frost and snow. You would really want to be an enthusiast to want it. You couldnt even drift it on the auto box!

It does seem to have been a special order given the low number, wonder who for tho.

Best thing you can do Dennis is ring up and put in a bid, you seem to be the man for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭S Line

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dennisthe menace

a very good friend of mine from dublin rang me last night to inform me that the leopard is now in the hands of the of a member of the stockcar community.if any knows of its where abouts could they please let me know . as i would gladley pay over and above of the sold price before its destoryed..regards dennis..:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭ronaneire

Blue850 wrote: »
    a very good friend of mine from dublin rang me last night to inform me that the leopard is now in the hands of the of a member of the stockcar community.if any knows of its where abouts could they please let me know . as i would gladley pay over and above of the sold price before its destoryed..regards dennis..:(

Dennis the Menace :D it is for sale. Look here ;)http://cars.donedeal.ie/for-sale/cars/2659255

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 topcat000

the nissian has been sold. and yes it is in the hands of a stockcar man. i have seen a couple of stock cars at his house so i assume thats were it will finish up..:mad:

topcat000 wrote: »
    the nissian has been sold. and yes it is in the hands of a stockcar man. i have seen a couple of stock cars at his house so i assume thats were it will finish up..:mad:

Stock cars or bangers? Theres a difference, though it's probably the second option. Pity, but as usual, it's been for sale ages with no takers to preserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 kieran811

its to be used as a banger, i know the driver that has it

kieran811 wrote: »
    its to be used as a banger, i know the driver that has it

It will miss put on being the first Leopard as a banger though, that honour went to a 4door one last year.

yea the 1 at the firecracker, was there to see it, 2 door looks a bit nicer then 4 door

yea the 1 at the firecracker, was there to see it, 2 door looks a bit nicer then 4 door
    Does indeed. The one used at Firecracker was an earlier one i think, think it was tagged as a C31, not as nice looking as the 88 one on this thread.
    Where is the 88 one going to go out, Shamwreck?

• Advertisement

Does indeed. The one used at Firecracker was an earlier one i think, think it was tagged as a C31, not as nice looking as the 88 one on this thread.
    Where is the 88 one going to go out, Shamwreck?

As far as i know mate its going to battle of britian of sheffield

As far as i know mate its going to battle of britian of sheffield
    Its funny how far cars travel to get wrecked! A good few cars have left Kerry to go to england for that reason.

yea its funny the distances they do to get wrecked, done 1000 mile round trips myself some times only get a couple of laps, others a full meeting

i take it your into the racing abit urself?

Uncle used to Race Stockcars 20 years ago at Rosegreen and he did a few banger meets in the 70s in England so that whole scene was always a part of my early years so to speak. Spent many long hours sitting in the back of a MK2 Transit driving around the country.. If it wasnt for all that i wouldnt have an interest in cars anyways.
    I tend to follow the banger scene as its always interesting what sort of odd old cars turn up at banger meetings particularly the unlimited stuff. I have never raced though, havent got the balls for that sort of madness!:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 898 ✭✭✭gn3dr

I have to say that banger racing rare stuff like this is just pig ignorant in my opinion - but each to their own I guess.

On the Leopard - saw this today (page down to the bottom of the post)

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2012/02/29/event-gt-gt-nostalgic-2-days-pt-3.aspx

- especially this bit "Very cool cars, spotless example like these fetching anywhere from 3 to 5 million Yen ($37,000~62,000!)"

Uncle used to Race Stockcars 20 years ago at Rosegreen and he did a few banger meets in the 70s in England so that whole scene was always a part of my early years so to speak. Spent many long hours sitting in the back of a MK2 Transit driving around the country.. If it wasnt for all that i wouldnt have an interest in cars anyways.
    I tend to follow the banger scene as its always interesting what sort of odd old cars turn up at banger meetings particularly the unlimited stuff. I have never raced though, havent got the balls for that sort of madness!:eek:

U should make the trip up north for shamwreck mate, all goes well it will be at a brand new track, tullyroan if its finished in time

gn3dr wrote: »
    I have to say that banger racing rare stuff like this is just pig ignorant in my opinion - but each to their own I guess.
    In fairness, it was on DD(soon it will be in one) for awhile, and i was offered the car myself but i did not think it worth the asking price because of the broken window, interior condition and the parts availibility in this country.

Apologies for digging up an old thread, but i think the ending to this story should be posted here. To be fair, there wasnt ever much hope of anyone spending their money on putting this on the road, and it was for sale on DoneDeal prior to being bought to race. Pics by Matt Howes.
    Img_7994.jpg?m=1369071110
    http://www.matthowes.com/gallery/index.php/May-2013/Kings-Lynn---18th-May/Fresh-Car-Shots/Img_7994

http://www.matthowes.com/gallery/index.php/May-2013/Kings-Lynn---18th-May/Fresh-Car-Shots/Img_8003
    Img_8003.jpg?m=1369071139

And a post race shot, presumably it will be good for another event given the minimal damage. As far as can be ascertained it was the only 2door Leopard ever raced, a four door version was raced last year.
    http://www.matthowes.com/gallery/index.php/May-2013/Kings-Lynn---18th-May/Wreck-Shots/Img_8809
    Img_8809.jpg?m=1369078592

If anyone can fill us in on the history of why, or who had a hand in it being a new JDM import to Ireland it would be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Pity the Leopard didn't survive - many's the 'rare' JDM model I couldn't save due to other projects.

Over the years I've seen many new JDM Nissans here - I'd say there's a 131D JDM Nissan up at Nissan Ireland as I write - I reckon the MD up there likes his motors and picks the cream of the range to import 'on market trial' (no EU test to be passed AFIK if they're only 'evaluating' it )

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/GLOBAL/#col_region_03

Unlikely he'd get a Sylphy :o (new Sunny/Almera JDM ) http://www2.nissan.co.jp/SYLPHY/exterior.html

More like a TEANA :)http://www2.nissan.co.jp/TEANA/
    http://www2.nissan.co.jp/TEANA/customize_premium.html
    or an AUTECH AXIS http://www2.nissan.co.jp/TEANA/customize_axis.html

or a CIMA / FUGA /Skyline saloon - Skyline Crossover ??
    http://www.nissan.co.jp/EN/lineup.html

There used to be auctions in Jersey http://www.motor-mall.co.uk/auction/list.php of rare non-UK/EU spec stuff that had been tested by the manufacturers in UK/EU as part of their pre-production testing and was then sold off because it was too expensive to ship back used cars to Japan / Australia etc

Years ago I'd be checking the Jap imports for 'specials' that nobody realised the value of - bought a nice little 323 Turbo 4WD for humble money because the dealer thought it was a 'jeep with that 4WD on it' - sold it on to a Mazda dealer !! Then there was the JDM VTEC Civics that were being charged high insurance because the EU VTEC was the high spec here, whereas the SiR was the REAL McCoy. I used to go to the Tokyo Auto Salon in January and get the spec book listing all the engine power ratings so I'd know what I was looking at back here when they came up for sale !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

speaking of rare JDM nissan cars in the early 90s,well 1992 to be exact!
    Wexford car centre had a cream/off white Sunny GTI-R 92 WX ???? from
    new that they had intended rallying but opted for the cosworth route due
    to competition spares availability,it was bought buy the guy who owned
    the oak tavern pub who had a Honda NSX aswell in 1992!:eek:

68deville wrote: »
    speaking of rare JDM nissan cars in the early 90s,well 1992 to be exact!
    Wexford car centre had a cream/off white Sunny GTI-R 92 WX ???? from
    new that they had intended rallying but opted for the cosworth route due
    to competition spares availability,it was bought buy the guy who owned
    the oak tavern pub who had a Honda NSX aswell in 1992!:eek:

Rare bird indeed, but I do remember seeing a few around back then before the imports -
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nissan_Pulsar_GTI-R
    The Nissan Pulsar GTI-R (chassis code RNN14 - aka GTiR, i-R and 'R) is a homologated 2 litre turbo-charged AWD vehicle manufactured by Nissan in Japan between 1990 and 1994 in order to enter the WRC under Group A rules. The body is based on the Nissan Pulsar (aka Sunny) N14 three-door hatchback model, but distinguished by the large rear wing and bonnet scoop. It has an ATTESA 4WD system (also used on some U12 & U13 Bluebird models), and a unique variant (coded 54C) of the SR20DET engine (not used on any other car).

Maybe this could be it's successor - Toyota Blade Master G (Auris/Corolla h/b V6 4WD :eek: )
    Recently Toyota released the Blade Master and Blade Master G, an upgraded trim of the Blade which features Toyota's 280 PS (206 kW; 276 hp) 3.5 L 2GR-FE V6 engine, larger brakes, and an upgraded suspension. Toyota discontinued the Blade in April 2012

http://www.autotrader.co.nz/used-cars-for-sale/toyota-blade/653133

TOYOTA BLADE Hatchback 2007 for sale1,077 Views
    Red 5 Door 3.5G Master **V6 Monster**NZ$24,990

3500cc 8 Air bags, Body kit, Half Leather, ABS Brakes, Alloys, Rear Spoiler, Air-Con, Power Windows, Power Steering 'Status :For Sale THIS IS THE MASTER BLASTER!! THE KING OF ALL TOYOTA HATCHES!! 2007 Toyota Blade G Master Powered by Toyota's 206 kW / 276hp 3.5 L 2GR-FE V6 engine!!! The Master Features Upgraded Brakes and Suspension to handle the Extra Horse Power and Spirited Driving that the Master Encourages!! Prepare to Grin and Giggle like a Maniac as this Turbo Eating Hatch Punches you back in your seat as you Grab Gears with the Steering Wheel Mounted Sequential Style Paddles!! Very Rare and Very Exciting you will not be Missed in this Diablo Red Hell Hatch but they will Not Catch you either! You Need This Instead of a Mazda MPS Golf GTIGolf R32 Subaru WRX Audi A3 Audi S3 -)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Or the 90-ww red NSX driven by the middle aged lady living near Shelton woods on the Beech road Avoca from the mid 90s on.

Always being driven like a fiesta going to the shops:(

Or the 90-ww red NSX driven by the middle aged lady living near Shelton woods on the Beech road Avoca from the mid 90s on.

Always being driven like a fiesta going to the shops:(

She's not the only one - many's the 'good' car being used like a Micra for shopping . Another example , Golf R32 with 'Sinnots' sticker going to Lidl Wicklow town, or 70+yo lady trying to park new 131 D Range Rover in Dawson St (WHY are women (given?) good cars when 95% of the useability is wasted on them ?? Tax avoidance / Too much money ?? ) :mad::mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

You couldnt even drift it on the auto box!

No one told Finland :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 801 ✭✭✭Wicklowandy

Capri wrote: »
    She's not the only one - many's the 'good' car being used like a Micra for shopping . Another example , Golf R32 with 'Sinnots' sticker going to Lidl Wicklow town, or 70+yo lady trying to park new 131 D Range Rover in Dawson St (WHY are women (given?) good cars when 95% of the useability is wasted on them ?? Tax avoidance / Too much money ?? ) :mad::mad:

Noticed that r32, always hoped there's someone at her house that uses it the way it's meant to be :)

Advertisement