Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ESB Bill - Average Cost

Options
  • 07-05-2011 10:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23

Hi All,

This has probably discussed before but I am looking for more recent figures. I will be moving into a house and since not having lived away from home before I am trying to make a budget out.

What is the average cost. The house will be a 2/3 bed, with the usual appliances. What could the cost be for a two month period.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,325 ✭✭✭✭Victor

How many people? What is the BER rating? What type of heating is used?

Assuming the heating isn't electric, I imagine €100 plus €50-100 per person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Louth_101

Have not picked the house. Just myself. Was hoping for a bill around 80 for the two months. Not sure if i am off the mark

• Registered Users Posts: 2,808 ✭✭✭Ste.phen

80 is doable, but it depends how often you wash clothes, watch TV, etc.
    We've got a bill around that level but we both have laptops instead of PCs, all the bubs in the rooms we use most often are CFL, the heating is Gas, etc.
    I think most people's bills are higher, closer to 120 per 2 month cycle

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭HappyHarry

Pretty open ended question, but..
    In an 90 square meter 3 bed with 2 people one working from home, electricity from Board Gas for last year on Dual Fuel rate, no CFL bulbs, always using electric shower, immersion for couple of hours a day when gas heating not on and electric oven. The annual bill was €673

Gas for heating and cooker hob was about €900 - houses BER is D2.

Switching back to ESB for electric and FloGas for gas now.

I suggest you do your budget for the year and divide by 10, put that much aside every month, skip Dec and a month in the summer.

Louth_101 wrote: »
    Hi All,

This has probably discussed before but I am looking for more recent figures. I will be moving into a house and since not having lived away from home before I am trying to make a budget out.

What is the average cost. The house will be a 2/3 bed, with the usual appliances. What could the cost be for a two month period.

Any help would be appreciated.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 730 ✭✭✭gosuckonalemon

I live in a 3 bed apartment, 5th floor.

3 people. Electric storage heaters.

Washing Machine used 2-3 times per week only after 11pm (off peak rate)

Dishwasher not used.

Usual TV, laptops etc.

Bill in summertime (storage heaters not in use) 90e for two months.

Bill in Winter time (storage heaters in use) 300e+ for two months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,457 ✭✭✭Electric Ireland: David

Hi guys,

Victor kindly brought this thread to our attention in our own forum here. If it helps, here is my response:
    Victor wrote:
    Now, I know and you know that there are many variables like type of heating, number of occupants, BER rating and so on, but does the ESB have any rules of thumb in advising people on how much a bill would be without going into a detailed analysis, e.g. 25% of people in house type A use X units per month, 25% of people in house type A use Y units per month and so on for different factors.
    Hi Victor,

It's a good question. Unfortunately though (as you have already guessed) there are just too many variables involved. For example, I have come across bills for households which, based on the number of occupants/range of appliances/designated tariffs etc, you would imagine might display comparable levels of electricity demand. But it can be surprising to find just how often this isn't the case!

On the upside, this goes to show how much scope there exists for increasing energy efficiency and making savings. We encourage customers to avail of our online tools, such as our Energy Saving Wizard and Appliance Calculator, for precisely these reasons.

Hope that helps. smile.gif

Thanks,

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 Guinness11

Our Esb was 320 there for 2months - 3 of us in the house. Very expensive eee! We have a those electric radiators which must be taking all the energy and our shower takes ages to heat up :( grrr

Advertisement