Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Just had someone reverse into me, think it was an insurance setup

• 07-05-2011 8:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭

I just had a fella reverse into me earlier when I was parked asking for directions off a fella. I was parked in the entrance to an estate facing the road when someone drove past along the road, stopped and reversed into me.(After seeing the CCTV of this, he hadn't driven past, he was parked down the road and came reversing back up the road)
    As soon as he hit me 2 other fellas and 2 women came up the street and said that I drove into him, they couldn't have even seen him hit me. I called the guards, they did the usual, tax, insurance and licence and said that it was up to the insurance company.
    How can I make sure this tramp doesn't get a claim off me. I have the witness who was at my window talking to me as he hit me but he has 4 "witnesses"

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,857 ✭✭✭Reloc8

In respect of witnesses its quality not quantity.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭demag

They'll all have the same story though.
    Does anyone know where I could get a video translated as I recorded them talking together and I heard reverse said a couple of times? I think they were getting their story straight together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,377 ✭✭✭Tefral

Your witness if independent to you would far superceed a person whose relatives are witnesses..

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Nicoleye

Could ya tell by the way the cars were positioned on the road maybe? Did ya take pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,012 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

demag wrote: »
    Does anyone know where I could get a video translated as I recorded them talking together and I heard reverse said a couple of times? I think they were getting their story straight together.

http://www.translation.ie perhaps? I think they are based somewhere along the Quays in the city centre.

• Advertisement

I just listened to the video again and he says in english "he just didn't hit me though" to his buddy, it's very faint but I'm sure thats what he said. Only problem might be you can't see him cos I was trying to hide the phone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

Does anyone know where I could get a video translated as I recorded them talking together and I heard reverse said a couple of times?

What language were they speaking?

CiniO wrote: »
    What language were they speaking?
    I have no idea unfortunately

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭michael999999

Make a copy of that recording and send it to both insurance companys,with details of what happened.Take lots of photos of where it happened,and most importantly get your witness to give you a signed account of what he seen.let the insurance deal with the fraud claim coming there way!

Make a copy of that recording and send it to both insurance companys,with details of what happened.Take lots of photos of where it happened,and most importantly get your witness to give you a signed account of what he seen.let the insurance deal with the fraud claim coming there way!
    I've made about 5 copies as I really don't want to lose this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,063 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

I have no idea unfortunately

If it was Polish I can help translating it.

CiniO wrote: »
    If it was Polish I can help translating it.

No, it definitely wasn't Polish, thanks anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

No, it definitely wasn't Polish, thanks anyway.

Can you narrow it down at least? Was it some sort of Eastern European language or something different altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭280special

Presume you advised your insurance company straight away? Surprized the Garda didnt take an interest in what was a possible claim scam....

Had something similar happen to me a couple of years ago in a petrol station, Foreign national reversed at speed into the space at a pump that i at and banged the front of my car, before i knew where i was i had 5 of them round me screaming their heads off that i had drove into them. Called the Garda who in fairness arrived pronto and with the word of several witnesses who wanted your man done for dangerous driving ( he had nearly hit several people) his antics came to nought ! There wasnt any real damage to my car, at least nothing that would be worth the hassle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Jaysus that's bad. I must say though fair play to you for recording it. Some people would probably be so upset they wouldn't even think of doing that. Hopefully you get it translated and the fookers get done for trying to scam you.

Just putting a cut of the vid on youtube now, you have to listen carefully at 39 seconds. excuse the language but I was pretty pissed off.

How the hell do I get a youtube link to work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,059 ✭✭✭kirving

Just fixed the YouTube tag for you.

"Do you know how much this car is worth?!"

"Fuck All!

Hahaha!

Just fixed the YouTube tag for you.
    Thanks for that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

"you hawn" - could possibly be from a big continent just south of europe

very hard to hear their conversation

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,362 ✭✭✭Trotter

Wouldnt assessors who see cars every day know the difference between a car thats been hit from behind and one thats reversed into a stationery car?

Its an unreal thing to happen!

theteal wrote: »
    "you hawn" - could possibly be from a big continent just south of europe

very hard to hear their conversation
    I was trying not to let them see I was recording, hoping they'd slip up.
    I have about 10 mins recorded, just put that bit up to see if anyone else can hear him say I didn't hit him.

Dont let these scumbags away with it op,make sure you push the insurance company to have these guys prosecuted.Its no wonder everyones insurance is going through the roof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Sickening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Mena

Southern African accent, Xhosa or Zulu, perhaps Nigerian but can't be sure and sound is crap on the phone.

Or is the sound that bad?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

I was trying not to let them see I was recording, hoping they'd slip up.
    I have about 10 mins recorded, just put that bit up to see if anyone else can hear him say I didn't hit him.

ah i'd say you're grand, it's obviously a scam

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭sparks24

i dont know about that recording i really hope it works out for you but if you dont have a shot of them with the audio to back it up it might not stand up in court

best of luck with it

Did the guards take any notice of the fact these guys deliberately reversed into you when you told them,did your witness say anything to the guards?

What the hell exactly do we pay them to do?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

I just had a fella reverse into me earlier when I was parked asking for directions off a fella. I was parked in the entrance to an estate facing the road when someone drove past along the road, stopped and reversed into me. As soon as he hit me 2 other fellas and 2 women came up the street and said that I drove into him, they couldn't have even seen him hit me. I called the guards, they did the usual, tax, insurance and licence and said that it was up to the insurance company.
    How can I make sure this tramp doesn't get a claim off me. I have the witness who was at my window talking to me as he hit me but he has 4 "witnesses"
    Did you check were there any cctv cameras in the area that might of getting you never know go back and take a look and also knock on a few doors of houses that might of seen something. And I see another person told you to contact the bogus claims number i would do this A.S.A.P op . Good luck with it .

• Advertisement

Can any one else hear what he says around 00.39, Just before I said I heard him say I didn't hit him?

sparks24 wrote: »
    i dont know about that recording i really hope it works out for you but if you dont have a shot of them with the audio to back it up it might not stand up in court

best of luck with it
    In the rest of the video there are some shots of them but I didn't want to put any faces up on youtube
    michael999999 Did the guards take any notice of the fact these guys deliberately reversed into you when you told them,did your witness say anything to the guards?

What the hell exactly do we pay them to do?
    Guards just said it was up to the insurance
    Did you check were there any cctv cameras in the area that might of getting you never know go back and take a look and also knock on a few doors of houses that might of seen something. And I see another person told you to contact the bogus claims number i would do this A.S.A.P op . Good luck with it .
    I'm going to take a spin up there now to see if there are any cams, it was just beside a pub so I might be lucky. I called the bogus claims number but it just said to leave a message. I'll call on Monday again

Guards didn't seem too bothered that he had no insurance disc or that he was on his own on a provisional licence either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Hearing horrible sh*t like this makes me wonder about getting one of them dashboard cams.
    Guards didn't seem too bothered that he had no insurance disc or that he was on his own on a provisional licence either.

Oh ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭KilOit

Sound is clear with good headphones, if you got a African friend im sure he can translate the guy in the backround talking his native tongue,
    awful you were unlucky enough to cross paths with these scum, really hope it works out for you.

Op you need to go to your local garda station and ask to speak to the sargeant,this is a case of insurance fraud and the guard you reported it to needs to be told to pull hes finger out.

Its not acceptable that a guard can simply say leave it to the insurance,these fraudsters are screwing you and everyone else paying insurance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭rescue16

Op you need to go to your local garda station and ask to speak to the sargeant,this is a case of insurance fraud and the guard you reported it to needs to be told to pull hes finger out.

Its not acceptable that a guard can simply say leave it to the insurance,these fraudsters are screwing you and everyone else paying insurance!
    Micheal is bang on here mate find out who the cop is and if you get no joy from his sargeant then go higher and if not report the cop to the obudsman if that is how you spell it good luck once more .

• Advertisement

sentient_6 wrote: »
    Hearing horrible sh*t like this makes me wonder about getting one of them dashboard cams.

Oh ffs!
    I keep meaning to get one of those cams. I'm definitely getting one now.

Just been up there and there's a camera outside the pub pointing at where it happened. Manager is not in now but he'll be there tomorrow.
    Regarding it being fraud, won't I have to wait till they get insurance involved?
    Some neck on them though, to be so sure they were right, the fella who hit me didn't seem to want to keep at it but his buddy who you hear first in the vid was really insistent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,377 ✭✭✭zenno

I keep meaning to get one of those cams. I'm definitely getting one now.

Just been up there and there's a camera outside the pub pointing at where it happened. Manager is not in now but he'll be there tomorrow.
    Regarding it being fraud, won't I have to wait till they get insurance involved?
    Some neck on them though, to be so sure they were right, the fella who hit me didn't seem to want to keep at it but his buddy who you hear first in the vid was really insistent.

just make sure you see the manager as soon as the pub opens incase they overwrite the recording for the new day. sorry to hear you have to go through this crap man, there are some scumbags out there, and a dash-cam is a very good idea. I might invest in one myself, better safe than sorry as they say. I just hope it never happens me because i'll do time over the scum.

Just bought one of those cams on ebay, something like this will probably never happen again now.

Just bought one of those cams on ebay, something like this will probably never happen again now.

how much do the cams cost demag ?.

Got it for €35, it's a cheapie but it'll do for now.

• Advertisement

great stuff. i'll check them out. anyway good luck with getting the cam recording from the pub. if it recorded the scam you will be fine.

zenno wrote: »
    great stuff. i'll check them out. anyway good luck with getting the cam recording from the pub. if it recorded the scam you will be fine.
    I hope it did, if I get it I'll wait for the other fella to try a claim and have him done then.

Keep us posted!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭furtzy

Totally unacceptable. Report this immediately to the station sergeant especially given the nature of the event.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Op, I really hope you will get those bastords. Fair play for not just letting it go. I would report that Garda too, he just not arsed to do his job!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

Smart move making a recording, nice one. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,975 ✭✭✭W.Shakes-Beer

Thats insane! What a horrible mess to be put in.

Pity the Guards were no less interested in it.

Keep us all posted. You should have no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Get onto the sergeant, the local super failing that, do not let this go.

Much damage done to your own car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,857 ✭✭✭langdang

Unfortunately "Irish hit me, neck hurt, womans also. Money pliss" appears to be enough to guarantee 10k plus personal injuries from your insurance no matter how much you protest they are spoofing...a 3page statement of fact and photo's showing how they obviously hit you is no match for pure lies... good luck OP... get that CCTVV....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,451 ✭✭✭CharlieCroker

In relation to the guard at the scene. (I am a guard, btw). The gardai's sole function here is to ensure that everyone concerned is not injured and that the vehicles are legal. NOT to attribute blame. Its up to the insurance company to admit/deny liability as they are the ones DIRECTLY paying for it, not you. The only criminal matter at hand (involving the OP) is an allegation of dangerous driving. You're fully within your rights to make that allegation and make an official complaint but you need to be prepared to make a statement and go to court if necessary.

As for the 2 other factors you mentioned:
    Lerner permit- unfortunately, there's no quick fix for this. There's no legal power to stop him driving there and then. It's a summons to court.

Insurance disc- I wasn't there so I can only surmise that the guard at the scene gave him 10 days to produce his valid insurance cert if the guard was satisfied he was insured If he fails, then it's another summons.

I'm not condoning or slating the guards actions as I wasn't there, I'm just trying to give you some insight. Tell your insurance company everything that happened, they'll have an assessor examine both cars and he'll find out pretty quick how the "accident" happened. They'll then make the complaint of fraud as they're the ones being defrauded.

Edit: and best of luck, I hope you get it sorted.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement