Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typing - how much to charge per 1,000 words?

Options
  • 06-05-2011 9:46am
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi all,

I do a lot of typing for home for a barrister. I charge €22.50 per 1,000 words.

Does this seem fair? Does anyone know the going rate?

Thanks

Ann

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,837 ✭✭✭daheff

i dont know what the going rate is, but how long does it take u to type 1000 words?

work off how many words you get done per hour and how much you expect to receive per hour

or do some research and see what other people charge for the same work....either under cut them or charge more (and get somebody to do the typing work for you and make a profit for no work on your part :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Sounds like a great rate to be honest though you haven't said if handwriting is difficult to read, or if there is anything slowing you down, etc.

Based on an average typing speed of 50wpm you are getting 22.50 for 20mins work. If you then leave aside 40 extra mins per 1000 words to do checks, edits and whatever else you are still getting 22.50 for an hr's work.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 annieg

Thanks for your replies.

I use a dictaphone so no hand-writing to decipher! Although, they do mumble sometime!

I suppose I am not a very fast typer so the hourly rate doesn't really apply but that's sort of my problem, not theirs!

Thanks

Ann

• Registered Users Posts: 25 EmZZZ

Many sites have ongoing rates (just google), but it sounds like a good price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 352 ✭✭Goldenegg

Not meaning to be personal but can I ask how you got into doing this? It sounds like a great way to earn an extra few bob! Thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 EmZZZ

Goldenegg wrote: »
    Not meaning to be personal but can I ask how you got into doing this? It sounds like a great way to earn an extra few bob! Thanks!
    I was thinking the same thing :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

pog it wrote: »
    Based on an average typing speed of 50wpm you are getting 22.50 for 20mins work. If you then leave aside 40 extra mins per 1000 words to do checks, edits and whatever else you are still getting 22.50 for an hr's work.

50wpm from a hand-written sheet, yea. I'm guessing it takes longer from a dictaphone.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭m'lady

EmZZZ wrote: »
    I was thinking the same thing :)

Snap!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,144 ✭✭✭✭Cicero

OP..would you mind me asking why you ask the question?

if you have right voice recognition software, you may well be able to the job quicker - with or without this software, 1000 words for 22.50 is quite expensive IMO

...I could certainly type that in 1 hour and more besides ...quality assurance is key to such roles so assume it's not your typing speed I would be paying for? more the QA you do to ensure grammar, legalistic terms etc are all in order/edits/re-writes?

So is you query about typing as a legal secretary?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭samhail

The thing will be that the lawyer will have a 20,000 word report to have typed up... are you going to spend 20 hours typing it up :)

and if they get 100euro/hour (or what ever the going rate is)... 200 euro to have it typed is nothing to them :)

My dad used to run a typing bureau at one stage (going back a good few years at this stage) but used to employ several people (a good few housewives who would have the spare time if i remember correctly) who would be sent out the dictaphone machines and sent back in when they get it done. i have no idea on prices or anything.
    My mam and dad who used to do it professionaly themselves at one stage used to have typying speeds up to about 80 wpm (think my mam used to be at 110wpm at one stage... wow :))
    Sorry couldnt be morehelp of todays prices or economy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Yeah the 50wpm I mentioned was an average figure. I am slightly above that myself and have never worked as or been a professional typist so that's why I can safely say that 50 is average, and should be base point for someone who does this for a living I'd imagine.

A lot of professionals apparently do 120wpm, that's probably why they can justify a relatively high rate of pay for a role that requires no third level education as such.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 tigs2010

Hi Annie,

I am legal sec and a lot of the girls would 'moonlight' as typists for barristers. The average WPM for us would be circa 100 as we do it day in day out. I find the average charges are between 40 - 50 euro per 30 min tape. Dont be afraid to charge for your skills - the Barristers get paid quite a lot themselves. Hope this helps

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭smileyeyes

I am a legal sec also but would love to work from home as have two small kids and it is costing me a fortune with childcare to work outside of the home 3 days per week!!!!!!

So, any more info on how to get invovled in this typing from home would be fantastic!!!!????????
    xx

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭donalg1

Goldenegg wrote: »

I would love to know this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Dreamer21

i would also like to get some information on how to get involved in this area, thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

annieg wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Ann

imo more than reasonable

at 50 wpm that equates to 140K a year assuming you spend twice a s long checking for errors etc as typing that still works out at 45+k a year

Looking on line rates seem to be closer to 22-25K a year for full time typists

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

For those wondering how to get into this, I don't know about for barristers but this kind of thing was advertised all the time around campus (NUIG). Probably a good service for those who can't type fast, but I don't have that issue.

It might just be a case of advertising it in the right areas, maybe pubs where a lot of barristers go :-D

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Cutevelvet

annieg wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Ann

Hi Ann, I have friends that do typing for barristers/solicitors from home and they charge eur25 for an hour of their time - they do not charge per tape or per word. Also I have just looked online and prices range from 0.85c per word of handwritten work/copy typing and 0.85c per spoken word (dictation/voice recording). Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,632 ✭✭✭NoQuarter

Cutevelvet wrote: »
    Hi Ann, I have friends that do typing for barristers/solicitors from home and they charge eur25 for an hour of their time - they do not charge per tape or per word. Also I have just looked online and prices range from 0.85c per word of handwritten work/copy typing and 0.85c per spoken word (dictation/voice recording). Hope this helps.

I assume thats .85 of 1 cent as opposed to 85 cent per word. Because €850 for 1000 words would be a tad pricey

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

I thought dictaphone typing speeds were usually expected to be higher than written transcripts? In my experience anyway....if you just listen and type it is much quicker than reading and typing.

OP I think €22.50 is a very good rate for someone to get when they can work from home, at their pace, and particularly for people such as you who don't have great typing skills in terms of speed. A basic minimum would be 50 wpm, if you are doing less than that I would class you as less skilled and therefore to get €22.50 for 1000 words is doing well. Having said that, if you practice and perfect your skills (you can use online sites to help you improve your speed and accuracy) then you could be getting €22.50 for less than 30 mins work, which would be bloody fantastic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 618 ✭✭✭pandaboy

Look at getting express scribe and format the dictaphone audio to an audio format so you can transcribe to your machine. I usually use audacity to record the audio to WAV and then input the file into Express Scribe (which is free to download). As you're transcribing from audio, find out how long it takes to complete the transcription. A lot of transcribers I know can get 15 minutes of an audio done within an hour. SO base everything on time. Then include how long it takes to edit the document.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,332 ✭✭✭tatli_lokma

pandaboy wrote: »
    SO base everything on time. Then include how long it takes to edit the document.

I hear what you are saying on this, but if someone is below average speed then it does not make sense to pay them a rate based on time. This is why I believe most people using this type (pardon the pun) of service charge per volume not time.

I type at around 60 wpm, but that is when I am intermittently typing throughout the day - if I sit with the purpose of typing something it would go up to about 65wpm, and if it is just transcribing I'd be around 70wpm. Now for me to complete 1000 words would take an average of 15 mins. My typing accuracy I would say is generally quite high for transcription. Then check it, even allowing 30 mins and 15 mins editing time = 1 hour.

Another person who types at 35 wpm and less accuracy is going to take at least twice as much time to type as I will, and then if their accuracy is lower there will be more mistakes, resulting in more editing, again taking longer - so the same 1000 words could take about 2 hours.
    If your rate is based on hours, then the slower, less skilled and less accurate typist would earn double!

I imagine this is the reasoning behind paying according to volume - I don't care how long it takes you to do it, I just want it done right and I pay x amount for this service. If you require an express typist service you would then pay a higher premium to a more skilled person. So this is one instance where the less time it takes, the more you get paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

For those looking to get into this line of work you can find contact details of barristers here
    http://www.lawlibrary.ie/members/

Before contacting them it would be advisable that you have a website up explaining who you are, your experience and also and detailing your services, even a basic free WordPress site with 3 or 4 pages looks a lot lot better than just sending a barrister a random email saying that you can type for them. A lot of barristers have a need for virtual secretary services as well as typing so it could be a good idea to package both together, that is provided that you have a quiet room in your house to answer a phone and the ability not to miss a single call, which might not work well for people with a baby.

Advertisement