Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stray dog

Options
  • 04-05-2011 7:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭

Just wondering, what are the steps one should follow to find the home of a dog who followed my mum home on a walk. He doesn't seem to have any desire to leave and wasn't wearing a tag. He is extremely friendly and clearly has been very well looked after. SHe has phoned around all the neighbours, but as yet no info as to where he has come from. What would be the next step? She doesn't want to call the dog warden, and I think she actually would keep him if it came to it, but obviously wants to do everything to return him to his true home. She is putting up ads in all the shops, etc today. What I am wondering is, is there somewhere you dog lovers go to (e.g. a website, a helpline, guards, etc) if you had lost a dog? Is she doing the wrong thing feeding and looking after hm in the meantime, in that he definitely won't leave if he's being well fed??
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

The dog may very well be microchipped, I would bring it in to a vet so they can scan for one.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

well done for taking the poor thing in,,,first off ring the gaurds and let them know,,you can also take him to a vet to have him scanned free of charge for a microchip,,a few notices in the local shops wont hurt,,oh and keep feeding:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭Eever

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Excellent advice already given. She doesn't have to hand the dog into the warden, but she should phone them and leave a description of the dog. If someone loses their dog, usually their first port of call would be the dog warden, so they really should have the dogs details there. Once she has notified the Guards and the dog warden, if nobody claims the dog after 5 days she can keep it, but if she doesn't notify them, then the dog cannot legally become hers until 1 year and 1 day after the date it was found. Would be awful if she bonds with the dog, then in 10 months time someone turns up and takes the dog away.

Hopefully someone is missing this dog dreadfully and they can be reunited:)

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Wisco

Also a good idea to phone the local radio station. I know the one around hear reads out lists of lost and found pets. Your local vets may also have lost and found bits on their website and pictures can be posted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Hi
    where do you live? I could let you know of a rescue in your area? If you can put up posters in local dog walking areas as well.

There will be rescues around you that many people would check as well as the pounds. The pounds can be scarey places,but if you leave a description of the dog there at least if someone is looking for him/her they'll know where to call.

I rescued a dog that was 'dumped' and its the best thing I ever did. I found her on the network of dog shelters on Facebook. If you also have a piccie of her. I can PM you my email address and I'll share it on the sites I'm linked to for you?

Also just emailing everyone and asking them to 'pass it on'can also help.

Sorry a bit rambly - fair play to you trying so hard for the little mite,I couldnt imagine loosing my dog

Like I said PM me if you'd like me to post it on F/B for you

M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

ISDW wrote: »
    She doesn't have to hand the dog into the warden, but she should phone them and leave a description of the dog. If someone loses their dog, usually their first port of call would be the dog warden, so they really should have the dogs details there. Once she has notified the Guards and the dog warden, if nobody claims the dog after 5 days she can keep it, but if she doesn't notify them, then the dog cannot legally become hers until 1 year and 1 day after the date it was found.

Just so you know I was given that same exact advice, I called the dog warden and he came to house and *took* the dog off us.

We didnt want him going as the dog had a very big fear of being in a cage (or any small area). We argued black and blue that he would be happier with us and if the warden found the owners we'd drop him back.

However the dog warden kept saying it was law that he had to take him and that it would be fine and we could get him in the 5 days- which actually turned out to be 6 because they dont count sundays...

Anyway when we went to pick him up we had to pay I think it was 80 euro release fee... and then go buy a dog license on top of that. Just thought I'd let ya know, I wish someone had of told me.

Oh and call the pound to have your name put on the list after the warden is gone. The warden told us he'd put us down for first priority, then when we went to pick him up our name wasnt down on the list at all, and someone else was down for first priorty from the day before. We would have lost him only the person heard our story and said we could have him. Which was nice.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭schmel22

Gerry.L wrote: »
    Just so you know I was given that same exact advice, I called the dog warden and he came to house and *took* the dog off us.

We didnt want him going as the dog had a very big fear of being in a cage (or any small area). We argued black and blue that he would be happier with us and if the warden found the owners we'd drop him back.

However the dog warden kept saying it was law that he had to take him and that it would be fine and we could get him in the 5 days- which actually turned out to be 6 because they dont count sundays...

Anyway when we went to pick him up we had to pay I think it was 80 euro release fee... and then go buy a dog license on top of that. Just thought I'd let ya know, I wish someone had of told me.

Oh and call the pound to have your name put on the list after the warden is gone. The warden told us he'd put us down for first priority, then when we went to pick him up our name wasnt down on the list at all, and someone else was down for first priorty from the day before. We would have lost him only the person heard our story and said we could have him. Which was nice.... :)

oh you poor things! You are so good,so annoyed for you especially as you trying to do 'the right thing'

The dog warden broke the law then. I would have refused them entry to my home and told them to come back with the Gardai and a search warrant. I guess they think they are an authority figure, so they can do whatever they want, and people don't know the law, so will back down - completely understandable that you let them in, but I would seriously consider writing to the local council about this, and insisting on the money back - or I wonder how interested the local papers would be in the story?:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 198 ✭✭Gerry.L

The dog warden broke the law then. I would have refused them entry to my home and told them to come back with the Gardai and a search warrant. I guess they think they are an authority figure, so they can do whatever they want, and people don't know the law, so will back down - completely understandable that you let them in, but I would seriously consider writing to the local council about this, and insisting on the money back - or I wonder how interested the local papers would be in the story?:D

We got the dog back now so we dont care. But just would have being nice to know about those little details first. There was no mention of a rehoming fee until we were standing there ready to go and not so much as euro in my pocket. And then nearly losing the dog even though the warden gave me his word we'd have first priority. Just that there really pissed me off.

Are the council and the warden not the one? Believe it or not, we couldnt get hold of the dog warden. We called the guards and they said to call the county council and tell them to get the dog warden unto the matter or we'd leave the dog with them.

Sorry to hijack the thread op.. I wont post anymore.. promise :D

• Advertisement

We got the dog back now so we dont care. But just would have being nice to know about those little details first. There was no mention of a rehoming fee until we were standing there ready to go and not so much as euro in my pocket. And then nearly losing the dog even though the warden gave me his word we'd have first priority. Just that there really pissed me off.

Are the council and the warden not the one? Believe it or not, we couldnt get hold of the dog warden. We called the guards and they said to call the county council and tell them to get the dog warden unto the matter or we'd leave the dog with them.

Sorry to hijack the thread op.. I wont post anymore.. promise :D

Dog Wardens are employed by the council, either directly or via private contract, which is why I suggested going to the council:D Ah, I guess thats why the warden called to your house then, the council probably just passed a message on, that there was a stray dog to be collected.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 perdy

Excellent advice already given. She doesn't have to hand the dog into the warden, but she should phone them and leave a description of the dog. If someone loses their dog, usually their first port of call would be the dog warden, so they really should have the dogs details there. Once she has notified the Guards and the dog warden, if nobody claims the dog after 5 days she can keep it, but if she doesn't notify them, then the dog cannot legally become hers until 1 year and 1 day after the date it was found. Would be awful if she bonds with the dog, then in 10 months time someone turns up and takes the dog away.

Hopefully someone is missing this dog dreadfully and they can be reunited:)
    just to let you know,you dont have to give the dog over to the pound but if you dont you wont legally own the dog for a year,the five day rule is only if the dog is in the pound not if you just ring.report the dog to the pound and see if anyone has been in contact that is missing a dog matching .

perdy wrote: »
    just to let you know,you dont have to give the dog over to the pound but if you dont you wont legally own the dog for a year,the five day rule is only if the dog is in the pound not if you just ring.report the dog to the pound and see if anyone has been in contact that is missing a dog matching .

No, its not, if the pound have been notified, and they have the dog logged, then it can do its 'stray' time with the finder.

No, its not, if the pound have been notified, and they have the dog logged, then it can do its 'stray' time with the finder.
    by law the dog is to do its stray time in the pound,some pounds will take the dog in and let it go to foster but not by just ringing and reporting the dog over the phone,if you just report that you have found a dog it isnt logged into the stray book only the lost and found book so the 1 yr rule is there,sorry karen am not trying to cause any trouble just letting them know that if the dog doesnt come into the pound and the owner comes looking within a year they can get there dog back.

by law the dog is to do its stray time in the pound,some pounds will take the dog in and let it go to foster but not by just ringing and reporting the dog over the phone,if you just report that you have found a dog it isnt logged into the stray book only the lost and found book so the 1 yr rule is there,sorry karen am not trying to cause any trouble just letting them know that if the dog doesnt come into the pound and the owner comes looking within a year they can get there dog back.

I know you're not trying to cause trouble, and I'm not trying to argue with you, thats what I used to think as well, but apparently the law is that if they are notified, thats the same as the dog doing its time in the pound.

DD will no doubt be along soon to show us the relevant piece of legislation:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

ISDW is correct, as long as you notify the guards and the dog warden stray dogs can be rehomed after 5 days.

I assume you'd have to get the dog scanned for a chip as well?

TillyGirl wrote: »
    ISDW is correct, as long as you notify the guards and the dog warden stray dogs can be rehomed after 5 days.

I assume you'd have to get the dog scanned for a chip as well?
    i work in a pound and the law is the dog has to do its five days in the pound other than that a year before you legally own the dog,even if you report the dog it doesnt go into the stray book unless it is in the pound it only goes in the lost and found book.sorry just letting people know as alot of people think once they report the dog to the pound it is there dog after five days

i work in a pound and the law is the dog has to do its five days in the pound other than that a year before you legally own the dog,even if you report the dog it doesnt go into the stray book unless it is in the pound it only goes in the lost and found book.sorry just letting people know as alot of people think once they report the dog to the pound it is there dog after five days

Aha, now I know who you are:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

So who's right?!

TillyGirl wrote: »
    So who's right?!

It would appear that perdy is, I thought something had been put up on here previously, but according to the control of dogs act, unless the dog has been into the pound, it isn't legally anyone else's until a year after it was found.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/1986/en/act/pub/0032/sec0013.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Corkie100

hi all, Op here. THank you all for your helpful suggestions. Following a series of phone calls to and from a local lost and found helpline (not exactly sure which one, my mum did all the calling) the dog was eventually reunited with his owners. Poor fella, the owners explained that their son has recently moved away and the dog, who had never strayed in 3 years, is all out of sorts. The dog was only about a mile or so from home. THanks again for all your help and information everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

Thats a great outcome.:)..fairplay to you and your mam for putting the time into finding the owners..

Advertisement