mcpa for rushes - boards.ie
Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

28-04-2011, 23:14   #1
butt1

mcpa for rushes

hi everyone,just finished cutting strong rushes,2ft high,cut them bare with a rotary,question is wen do i apply mcpa and can cattle still graze,wen its applied,the land is good quality,any shores that were needed were put in 2 years ago,cattle have poached it,hence lots of rushes, i have more to do,ive a topper was thinking of spraying wen topped,do i just let them rot away or get the rotary at them again after a few weeks???????????.
any theories welcome
Advertisement
28-04-2011, 23:34   #2
Bodacious

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt1 View Post
hi everyone,just finished cutting strong rushes,2ft high,cut them bare with a rotary,question is wen do i apply mcpa and can cattle still graze,wen its applied,the land is good quality,any shores that were needed were put in 2 years ago,cattle have poached it,hence lots of rushes, i have more to do,ive a topper was thinking of spraying wen topped,do i just let them rot away or get the rotary at them again after a few weeks???????????.
any theories welcome

What i did and opinons will vary but i was advised even on here to cut then let grow for 4 weeks (til rush comes to a point/tip at the top) then spray and after another three weeks graze and following grazing top the dead rushes again.. gives grass chance to take over. oh and add lime and manure to aid grass growth as rushes are dying.

Worked for me .. best of luck 4 weeks from now you will get a good kill as will be good growth and green rush easier killed
29-04-2011, 08:03   #3
vanderbadger
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by butt1 View Post
any theories welcome
cut them myself the other day and sprayed them yesterday evening, dont know if it was right or not but will see what happens
29-04-2011, 12:58   #4
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanderbadger View Post
cut them myself the other day and sprayed them yesterday evening, dont know if it was right or not but will see what happens
I'd like to know if it will work? I think that rush spray, as a herbacide, needs to have the rush growing when you spray it. Rushes that you just topped may be stunted and not growing yet. By the time the start to grow, the spray may be long gone off them. Let us know if you achieved a kill.
29-04-2011, 18:40   #5
farmerjohn

think you should wait till bout 2 to 3 weeks after cutting them, thats wat we do anyway,
Advertisement
01-05-2011, 22:05   #6
sea12

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerjohn View Post
think you should wait till bout 2 to 3 weeks after cutting them, thats wat we do anyway,
Thats what I did, Cut them and sprayed off with roundup 3 weeks later. very disappointed with kill rate however. maybe they were stunted a little by the drought like weather over the past few weeks. Some rushes on couldnt top and that was sprayed got a much better kill. So not too sure about cutting and spraying. I will know better in a few weeks once it is reseeded and see if anything comes up.
01-05-2011, 23:13   #7
bbam
Closed Account

Last year we sprayed a few corners that hadn't been topped in 12 months, got a good kill rate, and some areas complete kill happened..
Happy with results and diesel saved....
01-05-2011, 23:18   #8
johngalway
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilig View Post
I'd like to know if it will work? I think that rush spray, as a herbacide, needs to have the rush growing when you spray it. Rushes that you just topped may be stunted and not growing yet. By the time the start to grow, the spray may be long gone off them. Let us know if you achieved a kill.
I'd be figuring the same thing as yourself Reilig. "Topped" some of mine with the strimmer a good while back, some are well over 12" high now, fence up, just wondering about the weather to spray, may have just missed my window. Anyway, I would let them grow and spray them then, then re-cut after they had died off.

I sprayed what you would call thick mature stands of rushes late last year with Mortone, got complete kill in almost all areas I sprayed, very happy with that. Cut them a good while after they had died off. Doesn't seem to be any regrowth worthy of note.
19-05-2011, 06:39   #9
vanderbadger
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilig View Post
was down there yesterday evening, no re growth yet, the butts look kinda brown, maybe its early days yet though
Advertisement
19-05-2011, 08:59   #10
Tora Bora
Closed Account

I cut a half acre of very strong rushes last September. Left them in the row to rot down, which they have.
Grazed the field in early March followed by a blast of 18;6;12.
Grazed again third week April. Penned the cattle in tight and let them skin the grass. They even topped the rushes.
Sprayed 2nd of May with MCPA.
They are looking fairly brown today
The best part is, the grass has come on a treat in the meantime. I guess the grass suffered little or no set back from the MCPA, because I had it skinned to the bone, and so did not take up any of the chemical.
19-05-2011, 09:27   #11
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tora Bora View Post
I cut a half acre of very strong rushes last September. Left them in the row to rot down, which they have.
Grazed the field in early March followed by a blast of 18;6;12.
Grazed again third week April. Penned the cattle in tight and let them skin the grass. They even topped the rushes.
Sprayed 2nd of May with MCPA.
They are looking fairly brown today
The best part is, the grass has come on a treat in the meantime. I guess the grass suffered little or no set back from the MCPA, because I had it skinned to the bone, and so did not take up any of the chemical.
I find that MCPA doesn't stunt grass in the same way as mortone does.
20-05-2011, 20:51   #12
futurefarmer

Quick question,
Cut some very strong rushes with a mower last weekend they hadnt been cut for 3 years so were pretty wild, just wondering i presume these wont rot away for months so how is best to gather them up ?
Stupid question i know but theirs about 4 acres and i really want to save my back if i can
22-05-2011, 17:38   #13
butt1

Quote:
Originally Posted by futurefarmer View Post
Quick question,
Cut some very strong rushes with a mower last weekend they hadnt been cut for 3 years so were pretty wild, just wondering i presume these wont rot away for months so how is best to gather them up ?
Stupid question i know but theirs about 4 acres and i really want to save my back if i can
bale them,bury them in a hole,do not burn or use as bedding,best of luck
22-05-2011, 18:50   #14
jmurf100

Which is the best spray for rushes? Mortone or MCPA? What are the advantages or disadvantages for each?
22-05-2011, 21:17   #15
reilig
Closed Account

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurf100 View Post
Which is the best spray for rushes? Mortone or MCPA? What are the advantages or disadvantages for each?
IMO MCPA is the best - it achieves the fastest kill and stunts the grass least

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion