Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[BPB] Boards Photo Book 2011 - Marketing Plan & Volunteers

Options
  • 27-04-2011 9:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Like you've seen around the place, preparations have started for this years book. Naturally, we need people to make this happen!

Kensutz and myself will keep on the team, like last year, and Cork Girl is also already on board.

Depending on how many people will volunteer, the roles will be decided upon what you feel you do best.

We need a designer, a project manager, logistic and marketing people. We could also use cupcake bakers, artists, bloggers et all for the marketing bit and in the final stage, someone to liaise with DCC for the launch and help out on the night.

Have a look at this post too as we're on the look out for a printer, any nudges in the right direction will be appreciated.

Reply on thread if you're interested and in which field you would like to help out.

Here's AnCatDubh's description from last year as what needs to be done:
    The jist of role descriptions:

Project Manager (1 person)

This individual takes responsibility for the organisation of the book. They seek participants, set deadlines, keep the community informed, adjudicate ultimately on any matters that might arise/communicate such matters to the forum community, and keep the project on the boil. No pressure but the project will succeed or fail on the basis of your interaction (gulp!). Time is important here and if you are going to be away from the keyboard for weeks on end then it probably isn't the role for you.

Logistics and Marketing - (preferably 2 people)

Ideally this burden would be spread a little more. These individuals will be responsible for the bringing together of the images, communicating as necessary with the community or individuals, organising a book launch (venue, keynote speaker, wine, participants, etc.), Organising the money side of things - this year as the swell of support was for Shakespeare books, it means having the funds secured and lodged with the company in order for the production process to begin (or whatever else might be appropriate - it will be up to these people in conjunction with the project manager to decide). If using paypal to advance clear our intentions such that they don't freeze the account as soon as significant orders hit it (as did happen previously causing understandable consternation). To get the logistics of getting the books to people who have paid - a group collection and then the additional ones which are part of the group buy but not collected at the launch. Organisation systems as appropriate to know who has received and who is due books. In terms of further marketing, to essentially promote it in as many ways as possible = getting blogs written, boards site announcements, a radio interview or two, martin king to give it a mention, press release and other media interactions, get onto the 4 live or today shows, throw it at tubridy and see if it sticks, and broadly tout it everywhere and anywhere - online and real world.

That's the gist of it.

The project manager, designer, and marketing/logistics all work together as a team - lots of communication between team members. The moderators (and your humble cmod) will facilitate anything on forum that is needed that can't be done by a normal user posting - and as with previous productions be available should support be required in anything. We'll also cajole a little if we think cajoling is needed - just sayin loike!

So, step right up - if those roles grab you (particularly anyone who suggested they may have the time) drop myself or the other moderators a pm about it, and your name will be in the hat (well we mightn't actually need a hat but it does sound nice to think we'd have lots applying for it smile.gif)

Obviously it is a serious project and demands a serious approach to it.

Thanks folks.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I wouldnt be able to take on the burden of project managing but Id be happy to help out logistically :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I'll offer to help with logistics too

• Registered Users Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

I'd offer help, but after experience with work workload, I'd be happy to receive any help requests. But cannot sign in fully. Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭MissusPandB

I volunteer MrP&B to give a dig out with logistics too. He's great for pulling and banging.....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,368 ✭✭✭Fionn

Hiya,
    @ sNarah - i'm not sure if you got my pm's, but i've got all the art work that you'd need for the design of the covers, posters etc.
    let me know where to send them and what format you'd like them in.

cheers

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,570 ✭✭✭sNarah

Oh sugar, I really thought I got back to you!!
    Yes that would be great - I'll pm you now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,063 ✭✭✭GristlyEnd

I will offer help with design of the book if nobody else comes forward

We must check with Eddie who designed it last year - thanks for letting us know, good to have a designer ready!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

just thinking - events that may be coming up over the course of the coming months (meet and greet stuff), and where there is a social aspect to it, there could be opportunity to drop cards (eh..., if we had cards) or marketing materials at such events - obviously with the permission of the organisers. I'm thinking back to the dotconf - an information leaflet in the lunchbags - perhaps we could offer to pack the bags for them in return or something.

Just thinking of how to broaden out the marketing side of this that could result in increased sales.

We'd need an online point of contact - we have some ready like twitter, but maybe a web site with a leave your email address for updates nearer to launch, etc...

not sure if its hard work for people? I suppose if it were easy it probably wouldn't be worth doing.

thoughts people?

EDIT: Am i in the wrong thread?

No you're in the right one indeed. Will alerts the troopers to have a look here, other users can give input as well - we could do with a lot better marketing!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 sparklicous

hey. if you need design help, i'm available. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭MissusPandB

The Monster's Daddy........:)

BFD8DC7FC3B247C3974DF06B62238ED3-0000337267-0002041086-00640L-97C11F4E59084084A67D3EDED0BB8E0C.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 9,047 CMod ✭✭✭✭CabanSail

Even though I'm a long way away I still have contacts in DCC. We would still need members to be responsible for keys and the premises on the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I'm still a member of DCC so keys shouldn't be a problem and hopefully this year I have time again on the opening night.

How would people here feel if it was at a different location, not DCC? Just checking temperature, as there have been seen other suggestions from the Boards dudes...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭xia

I don't mind. Think the main advantage is it's free. But if there are other suitable spaces I don't mind a change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,392 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

I like the idea of it being somewhere with some connection to photography (yeah a dark room perhaps :D) - the camera club fits that particular bill, but I wouldn't get hung up on it. Also if similar to previous years, there won't be a launch budget as such so we will be depending a little on the goodwill of others however that's a bridge to pass if it becomes an issue at a later point in time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,588 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

As far as I know the "Exchange" in Temple Bar offers free space for certain events and I expect the book launch (given the charity attached) may be suitable?

Thanks for the replies! Will have a further think about it and maybe put up a poll at some point, it's a community effort so I think it's important to ask for the opinion of contributors!

Now - another thing: thOnda got in touch me recently, suggesting we'd create a little "heads up" banner that we can put in our sigs, sort of creating awareness. Is anyone creative up for making one?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I'm no graphic designer but it's a start. If it's of any use just let me know what you want the text to say and that's easily changed. It's the right size for the sig rules but slightly oversize at 3kb. Perhaps they would overlook this for the cause involved?

162508.jpg

• Advertisement

Ahhhh very nice!
    Lemme get back to you on that!

... the sig rules ...

Brand-free, or at least with some proper gear, not with a toy, please :p

• Registered Users Posts: 14,981 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

ThOnda wrote: »
    Brand-free, or at least with some proper gear, not with a toy, please :p

For the snobs among you :P

162748.jpg

162749.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Ceacg

Hello, may I please put my name on the waiting list to add a photo to the book? Thank you.

For the snobs among you :P...

Snob? Well, yeah :D If it does not weight more than kilo, it ain't no camera ;)

Edit: Could we host the banners on the BPB page or blog? Even with the link? Having a code to copy and paste not only here would be great. Thank you in advance for doing that.

Jup, will pop them up the blog on Monday - Preparing for Charleville now :o
    (unless the other dudes are reading, feel free to go ahead and link the images on the blog!)

Blog updated with banners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

How do I put that as my Sig ? :confused:

Pick the one you want and rightclick on it, pick "view image".
    Open your control panel > edit signature.
    In the post, click on the "Insert Image" logo (little mountain thingie) and copy the URL from the image in that.

If you want to add the link to the thread, after adding the image, select it, copy the link from the thread and add it as a hyperlink.

Lemme know if you have any trouble with it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭Cakes.

Got it :D

Advertisement