Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

help with saorview,can get sound but no picture

Options
  • 27-04-2011 4:49pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭

Hi there,i have a sony bravia tv and i can get the audio for all the saorview channels but i cant get a picture,can someone please help me out with this, thank you.i live in limerick,perhaps its a problem with the area.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Most likely you have a TV which can pick up MPEG2 not MPEG4.

Hence you will get the audio but no pic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 65 ✭✭gertechhaha

so would i have to buy an mpeg 4 tv or is there some sort of converter i could get to help me?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Johnmb

so would i have to buy an mpeg 4 tv or is there some sort of converter i could get to help me?
    A set top box will do the job. Saorview compatible is recommended, but a Freeview HD one does the job too as far as I'm aware (note, it has to be Freeview HD, not just Freeview)

thanks,i feared i would have to get a saorview box,would have been handy if my tv would have picked up the channels though.any idea on what is the best box to get?

hi,could you tell me how i find out if my tv is mpeg 4 or mpeg 2?thank you

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,422 ✭✭✭Avns1s

Get the model number off the back and google the specs or tell the lads (and lassies) on here. They'll soon tell you.

thank you,its mpeg 2,think ill go get drunk now haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

funny when you mention that, i got a new tv and if tune it in saying i live in the uk i get sound but no picture, but then if i retune it saying i live in ireland i get sound and picture for irish digital, i was hoping to get the english channels as i live near the border but no luck, funny as my analogue has a better reception for the north than south stations

funny when you mention that, i got a new tv and if tune it in saying i live in the uk i get sound but no picture, but then if i retune it saying i live in ireland i get sound and picture for irish digital, i was hoping to get the english channels as i live near the border but no luck, funny as my analogue has a better reception for the north than south stations

hey,could you walk me through how to tune my tv in saying i live in ireland?maybe i tuned mine wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 499 ✭✭MACHEAD

Post up the model no. on here, and if there's someone on the Boards who has the same one or one from the same chassis range, they may post up the info you need. Failing that, do a Google search for the user manual for your Sony model and you'll probably be able to download a pdf version.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭biscuiteater

on mine you press the menu button, then a box comes up with pictures, a tv, a speaker, a satellite dish and a spanner. it's when i go down to the satellite dish that it has two choices - country and channels,
    so first i pick the country,
    then i go back to the satellite picture and pick channels and then pick scan
    but i have a different make of tv so yours might look different

thanks to everyone who replied,im just guna get a box as i have a headache from it all

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Hi there,i have a sony bravia tv and i can get the audio for all the saorview channels but i cant get a picture,can someone please help me out with this, thank you.i live in limerick,perhaps its a problem with the area.

No problem in the area it's the TV I'm afraid. Changing the country/region to UK will not resolve the problem.

If the Sony had an MPEG-4 video decoder it will be available for all regions. I have 2 Sony Bravia TVs, both with MPEG-4 (one is 3 years old, an KDL-26V4500).

Can you post the model no.?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 tom_in_cork

I have this telly, I can set it to Ireland as the country but it will only receive sound, no picture. Says on the website it has irish tuner, but seems to be only mpeg2 on the manual. Any advice or is it a new box for me too?
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/SHARP-LC24DV510K-Full-HD-24andquot-LED-TV-with-Builtin-DVD-Player/314235/339.6

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭MarkK

Did you buy it recently?

If so, take it back for a refund.

MarkK wrote: »
    Did you buy it recently?

If so, take it back for a refund.

Unfortunately bought end june from argos. Dont hold out much hope.....

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

TWO years is the Sale of Goods Act period.

They should not be selling such since Oct 2010.

watty wrote: »
    TWO years is the Sale of Goods Act period.

They should not be selling such since Oct 2010.

Gonna call into argos and see what they say. You sure they shouldn't be selling since 2010 though as i thought they were still giving option. Though we were told it was digital ready.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

I have this telly, I can set it to Ireland as the country but it will only receive sound, no picture. Says on the website it has irish tuner, but seems to be only mpeg2 on the manual. Any advice or is it a new box for me too?
    http://www.currys.ie/Product/SHARP-LC24DV510K-Full-HD-24andquot-LED-TV-with-Builtin-DVD-Player/314235/339.6

You are entitled to a full refund if this muck was bought in 2012. If they don't take it back then take them to the small claims court where you will win.

Currys, in fairness to them, took all of this crap out of the supply chain some time in early 2011.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

How was it described in the argos catalogue at the time, with or without Saorview tuner?

The current catalogue has 3 pages of non-digital TVs which Argos say on the page can be upgraded "to Saorview by simply adding a digital box" which they will sell to you at half-price. I don't have the previous Argos catalogue to check.

• Advertisement

Thank a million guys. Took it back to argos. After a brief discussion they refunded full amount.
    Got a new tv and all functioning perfectly now.
    Tom

The Cush wrote: »

How was it described in the argos catalogue at the time, with or without Saorview tuner?

The current catalogue has 3 pages of non-digital TVs which Argos say on the page can be upgraded "to Saorview by simply adding a digital box" which they will sell to you at half-price. I don't have the previous Argos catalogue to check.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭SalteeDog

The Cush wrote: »

Ahh well..I first read that as the TVs being sold for half-price. But no, it's the boxes that are half price. Got excited there for a minute. :)Online link here.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Argos and everyone else are chancers selling
    • AM/FM Radios with no LW (not even a warning that MW only at night*)
    • AM/FM Clock Radios no LW (not even a warning that MW only at night*)
    • Sets with DAB and no indication as to Battery life(+) or if it supports DAB+ and no warning that DAB is poor coverage and currently only officially RTE. Certainly none of the listed stations
    • ANY TVs or Set Boxes etc that are not Certified or at minimum MPEG5 + HD + Warning not fully compatible as not certified.
    • UK BT plug phone equipment.
    • "Digital" and other indoor aerials no better than €6 models for up to €54!
    • HDMI cables for x10 price of SCART when they cost LESS to make
    • Expensive Duracell & Energiser batteries. Unless something takes so much current that it needs rechargeable batteries these overpriced batteries only last x3 more than cheap Zinc Carbon at as little as 1/10th price. They are NO better than other brands Alkaline at 1/3rd price.
    • Varta batteries only bother mentioning in fine print that they are Alkaline. Same as Duracells but 1/4 price.
    • Eco, Green and Heavy Duty on Battery descriptions are all meaningless.
    • CFL and LED light comparisons are optimistic and misleading
    • There are NO LED TVs for sale in local shops. They are LCD with either LED backlights (not bad) or LED edge lighting (horrid).
    • All Ultra slim TVs have ghastly sound and need separate sound system. Where is warning?

Product with "menus" and Ergonomics modelled on Cardasssian principles.

(* We have ONE MW station, which is practically in N.I. and can't be received as far south as Limerick City on most MW sets, Some North/Eastern parts may get daytime MW. LW is 24 hrs a day RTE1, BBC R4 and at least 1 to 3 French stations everywhere)
    (+ 4hr to 6 hr battery life isn't unusual on DAB. Since 1939 the UK & Ireland market has had Radios with 100hrs to 250hrs life. Most decent AM/FM non-DAB sets are over 200 hours!)

Advertisement