Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swords Club League - Race 3 April 27th

Options
  • 26-04-2011 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

The next Race in the Swords Club League is Wednesday 27th @ 7pm.
    Circuit details here

Sign-On: Ring Common Sports Centre at 06.30 pm

Please bring your Swordscc race number with you (If you've attended race 1 or 2, you should have one). Remember, every rider must have a Cycling Ireland/ IVCA license. Please bring your cycling Ireland Licence number with you and add it onto the sign on sheet.

many thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭GlennaMaddy

watch out for the lads returning from Gorey, they'll be flying

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

watch out for the lads returning from Gorey, they'll be flying
    I take it they'll be the ones in bandages....

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I'll be the one standing on a corner waving a flag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

I'll be the one in civvies with the kids watching. Even if I was allowed to I don't think I could face the hammerfest in scratch....

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭macken04

Good luck, hopefully I can begin my racing carrer next year

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

macken04 wrote: »
    Good luck, hopefully I can begin my racing carrer next year
    Why wait until next year? The season has only just started, and if you're interested in racing give it a go this year

I would love to, however, for my own safety (and yours) I would rather join up with a club first and learn how to ride in a bunch and handle myself. As soon as I hand my thesis in I will join a local club.The last thing anyone wants is a silly accident owing to a lack of experience on my part.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

Also a few league regulars returning from Rás Mumhan, Tour of the North and Rás Chonamara.

Methinks scratch group could be quick this week. :D

A large field expected, and they are due to run 6 groups. Group 2 lapped in 16-17 minutes or so last year, which will make the handicapping very interesting - if they are not careful Group 1 could be back round to the start by the time scratch are setting off

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭pprendeville

from ridewithgps this circuit looks pretty flat. am i right in saying this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭superlav

FWIW - Scratch lapped between 14:25 and 14:42 last year.

from ridewithgps this circuit looks pretty flat. am i right in saying this?
    Flattest course we do - a bit of a hill towards the cricket club, and a couple of drags after that. Just over 60m of climbing per lap

One very bad patch of road where you need to get your line right through the (poor) repairs a couple of km after the cricket club

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

im back for this one,nice flat one hoping to hang on but was on moto Marshall duty over the last 2 weekends (Kerry was looking super) so very little bike time over the last week, have excuse ready :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I did this one last year. The finish is down the road a few hundred metres from where the start is. I didn't realise this, not that it would have made a jot of difference.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

I did this one last year. The finish is down the road a few hundred metres from where the start is. I didn't realise this, not that it would have made a jot of difference.

The white line lovingly painted across the road usually gives it away

(You went over it 4 or 5 times)
    wink.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

I was in the zone man, doing so many big pulls at the front I couldn't be expected to notice such details.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Saw the Facebook plea for marshalls. Will try and get down to give a dig out.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

I enjoyed that. Group 3(the first one) for me until we were caught. Tried to stay and kind of did for a while, then ended up on my own until I was swept up by another group.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭English Bob

Enjoyed that!!
    Fast race. Was in group 2 & although it was a but scrappy we sorted a bit of order after 1st lap. Managed to stay with faster group & kept with bunch until last time up past Balrothery climb. Was in smaller group coming into finish & even managed a sprint to the line!!
    Thanks to all organisers & big shout to Joe for all his patience when sorted the rabble at the start!!

Hey Bob! Was you dad out spectating. Myself and another guy were marshalling the second corner and a guy came up and was chatting. Said his son was racing and his name was Rob.

• Advertisement

Yes that was my dad!!
    His first race ever seen! He loved it.
    He's in the pub now with my father-in-law!!
    Was quite tempted but would prob b pissed after one pint after racing!!!!

Tonight both groups 2 and 3 were split in two. I was in the second part of Group 2. There was some confusion at the start, and a lot of those who should have been in my part of Group 2 actually set of with the first part - so they had getting on for 20 riders and we had about 8 - not only that, but those who placed in last week's race were in the first part of the group

We set off a minute or two behind. Some of the guys were clearly not used to up and overs and I spent a lot of time trying to shout instructions, which worked on occasions, but not all the time! Anyway, it didn't work out too badly being in such a small group. I tried to be inconspicuous in the group, but old habits die hard and I spent quite a bit of time at the front. I didn't mind though, as I was getting a very good workout, and was actually really enjoying myself. I was probably pushing a bit too hard on occasions, but I didn't mind pulling the others along

By the end of the first lap we had group 2a in our sights, and I tried to encourage everyone to try and close them down. We were even closer by the end of the second lap, and I pushed hard to close the gap, on the basis we would either catch them or I may be able to bridge over on my own. Unfortunately the next hill came up a bit too quickly and I sat up a bit allowing the rest of group 2b to catch up.

About 2/3 of the way round the 3rd lap we were caught by scratch (with a few hanging on from the other groups) - when Martyn Irvine sweeps past you know you are in trouble, and although I held on for a while my prior efforts eventually told, and I was dropped. Another group caught me about half a lap later and I stuck with them until about 3/4 of a lap to go.

I pushed hard to finish the race - my time was only about a minute slower than my fastest performance on the same course last year, when we were able to hang onto Group 3 for the last half lap or so. Given I spent well over half the race either at the front of my group or on my own, I'm not complaining. I'll put some stats up in the training log - power was just about peak for the race distance/time at 270w, although for the first half it was quite a bit higher

Not sure about all the placings, but understand Martyn Irvine won the race. He clearly took it by the scruff of the neck and the pace the scratch riders were going at managed to keep the groups from combining too much, which was probably not a bad thing given the numbers participating

Yes that was my dad!!
    His first race ever seen! He loved it.
    He's in the pub now with my father-in-law!!
    Was quite tempted but would prob b pissed after one pint after racing!!!!

But he said that you would be buying us pints......

Can anyone post me an info link showing how these races work? Wouldnt mind understanding exactly what your talking about

If I ever win a race you're all welcome to join me for a pint!! The drinks will be on me!!!

Can anyone post me an info link showing how these races work? Wouldnt mind understanding exactly what your talking about
    It's basically a handicapped race - in this case normally 5 groups of up to 20 or so in each group (although tonight there were in effect 7 groups)

Slowest ("limit") group sets of first, a few minutes ahead of the next group ("semi-limit") with the fastest group ("scratch") going last

The first rider over the line wins, and the idea is the groups work together (sharing the workload) to catch the grouops ahead, and stay ahead of the groups behind

If they get the handicapping right all the groups join up towards the end and it becomes a mad rush to the line. However there were so many out tonight if this had happened the roads would probably have stuggled to accomodate so many riders trying to get to the front at the end

@beasty thanks that makes sense. I take it this is different from the a4 / a3 stuff, sorry I should be looking this up.

@beasty thanks that makes sense. I take it this is different from the a4 / a3 stuff, sorry I should be looking this up.
    A3s, A4s etc may be in a single race, in which case the same principles apply (with 2 or more handicapped groups depending on the number of racing categories involved)

Alternatively they may have races for individual categories, in which case the fastest group goes off first (and often do more laps than the slower categories), with the slower categories then going off in turn

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭killalanerr

not sure what group i ended up in but i think i was one of the beasty 8 bit bold of the lads not to stay in their aloted group,very nearly go across to 2a at one stage some big strong lads in the group if we could have got it together we would have made over,every time i put nose into the wind it took me a long time to recover good work out enjoyed it,big thanks to joe and the team

• Advertisement

Was in group 2
    I think you were one of the ones that snuck into Group 2a when you should have been in 2b;) (from what I could tell they split it alphabetically, based on first names)

Advertisement