Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Realtime Dublin Bus App

Options
  • 25-04-2011 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭

Hey folks, I made a quick little app over the weekend which uses the new Dublin Bus realtime system. It's a little bit rough to look at but it's seems to function fairly well. You can get the app at http://market.android.com/details?id=com.nextbus.dublin

Any feedback/suggestions welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭allen175

force closes, desire on coolrom HDv8.

been waiting ages for a dublin bus app! keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭ongarite

Super,
    I love your Irish Rail app.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,384 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

How do you save a stop?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

Doesn't seem to work for the 2 stops I've tried so far. 2718 and 2637.

My shortcuts to these stops on rtpi.ie work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭smackyB

allen175 wrote: »
    force closes, desire on coolrom HDv8.

been waiting ages for a dublin bus app! keep up the good work!

Strange, what SDK level is that? Desire HD or just Desire?
    ongarite wrote: »
    Super,
    I love your Irish Rail app.

Thanks!
    coylemj wrote: »
    How do you save a stop?

Hit the green plus button in the top right corner on the results page

• Advertisement

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    Doesn't seem to work for the 2 stops I've tried so far. 2718 and 2637.

My shortcuts to these stops on rtpi.ie work fine.

It seems the rtpi system needs an extra 0 in front to be able to work out what stop it is. Stupid design... I'm guessing that all stops are 5 digits so I'll add the extra zeros in myself when I push out an update.

Can't find any info on the stops near me - is the 46A live yet?

coylemj wrote: »
    Can't find any info on the stops near me - is the 46A live yet?

Bits of the route are live - D'Olier Street for example. Unfortunately I have no idea when all stops will go live.

smackyB wrote: »
    Bits of the route are live - D'Olier Street for example. Unfortunately I have no idea when all stops will go live.

Thanks, well done on the app, been waiting for a tool like this for years. I guess if you live near the terminus you can rely on the timetable (sort of!) but this app will make for way less queuing at stops, especially for sh1tty routes like the 45.

It seems the rtpi system needs an extra 0 in front to be able to work out what stop it is. Stupid design... I'm guessing that all stops are 5 digits so I'll add the extra zeros in myself when I push out an update.

Thanks. That worked.

• Advertisement

Strange, what SDK level is that? Desire HD or just Desire?

Its the Desire S rom.

Its the Desire S rom.

Hmm, can you report the app when it crashes and I'll take a look at the stack trace. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭wba88

FC on DHD stock 2.2, report sent

...this could be a great app!

wba88 wrote: »
    FC on DHD stock 2.2, report sent

...this could be a great app!

Thanks, I think I know what's going on. Had similar issues with The Journal app.

Report sent.

Just pushed an update there which should solve the FC issues and also the missing zeroes for bus stop ids. Those seeing FCs be sure to do an uninstall before installing again from market. Thanks!

I've downloaded the update.

My favourites don't seem to store correctly. I can save a stop to my favourites but when I try to select it I get the 'system on trial, this stop may not have been activated yet' message. I'd found this issue before the update btw.

still crashing for me after update, i sent a report.

still crashing for me after update, i sent a report.

Strange. And you definitely did a full uninstall and reinstall? All the stacktraces I've received so far pointed to the same issue. Perhaps try disabling any custom stuff you've got going on and see if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭JOCookie

Thanks for this, it works perfect on the Samsung Ace. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭thomasj

Great job on the app! Something we needed

would it be possible to expand the search facility to text alongside route numbers? Make it easier to breakdown the busstops without the need to go through the entire route by searching by placenames. The rtpi has this on its text site.

Also would it be possible to shop the routes and their destinations? Maybe by clicking on the busstop. Would that be possible. Its something the rtpi site has in table form.

Irrespective of these suggestions i love the app and intend on using it! Very useful! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

Ben D Bus wrote: »
    I've downloaded the update.

My favourites don't seem to store correctly. I can save a stop to my favourites but when I try to select it I get the 'system on trial, this stop may not have been activated yet' message. I'd found this issue before the update btw.

Exactly the same for me on Galaxy S

I suspect it's again a problem with missing leading zeros. Try saving a stop having gone through the route selection process rather than the direct stop input - it should work. I'll push out an update tonight for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 757 ✭✭✭rockal

I suspect it's again a problem with missing leading zeros. Try saving a stop having gone through the route selection process rather than the direct stop input - it should work. I'll push out an update tonight for it.

OK that works fine, thanks.
    On the Direct Stop selection I've tried with and without leading zeros and whilst all show real time results - saving them produces the 'no results found' problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

Works but my route doesnt have it activated yet. (67)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭CiaranC

This is awesome, well done

*edit*, just saw the favourites doesnt work, used your workaround - htc hero

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭k123456

Thanks for developing the app
    More a dublin Bus question ; but how do I know what routes have real time reporting

• Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

Thanks for the app!

By the way - where does the app get it's info from - is the real time information on Dublin bus website? thanks.

edit - ok, see it's from rtpi didn't know about that.

Fair play again for application - even if your own stop is not live you can at least find the nearest stop that is and make judgement calls on it.

k123456 wrote: »
    Thanks for developing the app
    More a dublin Bus question ; but how do I know what routes have real time reporting

Unfortunately the RPTI system is very bare bones so there's no way of knowing which stops are active. The current pattern seems to be only stops which have already got a screen installed or will have one installed soon. (Very stupid I know - should be the other way around).

Just uploaded an update which cures the problem of favourites not saving correctly highlighted in posts above.

@podgeandrodge - all the info comes from rtpi.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,783 ✭✭✭podgeandrodge

I notice too that for some live stops they only give some of the buses e.g. No. 16 but not No.49 on certain stops where both numbers stop...this must be a fault on the rtpi side

Advertisement